Official 2018-19 NFL Thread

36 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

He is either going to be the coach of the Packers or back in New England.  If I had to guess he goes to Green Bay, otherwise why is even bothering interviewing with anyone.

Yea the Colts were thinking the same thing last year.   Must be exciting to have the egomaniacal flake considering the packers lol.   They can do better 

15 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Yea the Colts were thinking the same thing last year.   Must be exciting to have the egomaniacal flake considering the packers lol.   They can do better 

All coaches are ego maniacs.

I'm excited about getting arguably the best offensive mind in the NFL. 

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Is Belicheck coming too?  

I'm not sure what Belicheck has to do with McDaniels being a great offensive mind.  Belicheck calls the defense.

I don't know if McDaniels will be a great head coach, I could say that about every coach interviewing for a job every year.  No one knows for sure, all of these coaches have good traits and bad traits. 

All I do know is that he is arguably the best offensive mind in football and the thought of him and Aaron Rodgers working together is exciting. 

Just now, GoSox05 said:

I'm not sure what Belicheck has to do with McDaniels being a great offensive mind.  Belicheck calls the defense.

I don't know if McDaniels will be a great head coach, I could say that about every coach interviewing for a job every year.  No one knows for sure, all of these coaches have good traits and bad traits. 

All I do know is that he is arguably the best offensive mind in football and the thought of him and Aaron Rodgers working together is exciting. 

Every assistant that has left New England has fallen flat on their faces.  That's what it has to do with.  McDaniels didn't reinvent the wheel, he was just the next guy in the passenger seat giving directions.

green bay can do better

7 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Every assistant that has left New England has fallen flat on their faces.  That's what it has to do with.  McDaniels didn't reinvent the wheel, he was just the next guy in the passenger seat giving directions.

green bay can do better

Bill O'Brien is doing decent in Houston but other than him Belichick's coaching tree is pretty much a disaster at the NFL level.

Every coaching tree has good results and bad.  For every Andy Reid and Steve Mariucci there is a Marty Mornhinweg and Ray Rhodes.

Patriots coordinators that have fallen flat have been on the defensive side of the ball mostly.

Bill O'Brien has had success in the NFL. 

Obviously Nick Saban is doing just fine at the college level and really wasn't all that bad in the NFL.  I think if he came back to the NFL he would do well, he just isn't going to leave the situation he is in.

Part of the reason I like McDaniels is I think his quick rhythm passing attack is perfect for Aaron Rodgers in this point of his career.  He needs to start taking less hits and a less "sand-box" approach to offense.  Although just one game, but McDaniels offense had success against the Bears defensive this year and the Packers are going to have to deal with that defense for probably another two years.

Now all the other stuff is concerning for sure.  I just don't get the "Packers can do better".  Who?

2 hours ago, GoSox05 said:

His time with the Broncos is more concerning.  His personal decisions were awful. 

That Rams gig was tough, that team was awful.  I'm not sure Bill Walsh could have gotten anything out of that team.

the Rams weren't good but they regressed from Pat Shurmur the year before despite realistically an upgrade a QB going to Bradford.

I don't understand why McDaniels is being seriously considered as a head coach. I mean his character already had an asterisk on it (if you recall part of the reason he got fired in Denver is cuz he got busted cheating) but the stunt he pulled with the Colts would have me far away from him if I was a GM.

14 minutes ago, lostfan said:

I don't understand why McDaniels is being seriously considered as a head coach. I mean his character already had an asterisk on it (if you recall part of the reason he got fired in Denver is cuz he got busted cheating) but the stunt he pulled with the Colts would have me far away from him if I was a GM.

The stuff in Denver is the bigger question mark for me.  That thing with the Colts last year was dumb, but it wasn't 100% on him.  The Colts jumped the gun and should have waited for the contract to be signed.

He was offensive coordinator for two of the top five scoring offenses in NFL history and might be on his way to coach the QB who had the third highest.   Now there is a lot of questions about him and I get the risk, but it is enticing. 

It's a lot more exciting than the prospects of Mike Munchak and Jim Caldwell coaching the Packers.

49 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

The stuff in Denver is the bigger question mark for me.  That thing with the Colts last year was dumb, but it wasn't 100% on him.  The Colts jumped the gun and should have waited for the contract to be signed.

He was offensive coordinator for two of the top five scoring offenses in NFL history and might be on his way to coach the QB who had the third highest.   Now there is a lot of questions about him and I get the risk, but it is enticing. 

It's a lot more exciting than the prospects of Mike Munchak and Jim Caldwell coaching the Packers.

I obviously would expect the Packers to hire a good head coach, their process has always been solid. 

But, come on, the colts started hiring his staff! 

That guy sucks. 

McDaniels is probably like Harbaugh.  I want him as my coach for like 5 years. 

I like Adam Gase as well, but it's not like he doesn't have a history of causing problems with players. 

Matt Lafleur is the other coach I like.   Being a former QB, I think he might work well with Rodgers.

Edited by GoSox05

1 hour ago, GoSox05 said:

I trust the Packers that if they hire him they feel comfortable about him.  They run a relatively conservative front office and aren't the kind of team to take a chance on someone they don't trust.

I don't think these are the Packers you're used to with a completely different front office.  Who knows...

21 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I'd  honestly be surprised if he got a HC job.  Oh plenty of interviews....then they meet with Mr McGruffy.  I'd hate to lose him...and if he sincerely wants a HC job then wish him the best.  I just really don't see him as HC material.  Plus...it completely goes against what's the "poplular" trend today (hiring young offensive minds).

Glazer had some good info with what's involved in these interviews and how prepared these guys have to be.

Edited by Wanne

11 minutes ago, Wanne said:

I don't think these are the Packers you're used to with a completely different front office.  Who knows...

Mark Murphy has been with the team since 2007 and Brian Gutekunst has been with the Packers since 1998.

Brian Gutekunst is now the GM, but it's not like he is some unknown.  I think he will take more risks than Thompson, but he isn't radically different.