Official 2018-19 NFL Thread

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

Im not sure id go that far. 

I wouldn't. Trubisky reminds me of a young Aaron Rodgers. The game is still a little faster than it should be for him at this stage, but I think MVP seasons are on the horizon for him. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, pettie4sox said:

That's the most positive I've seen Parkman this year.  Who are you and what have you done with Parkman!

It is just one of those things guys. Kickers fail in big moments, it happens. The Bears played well enough to win if Parkey does his job. Everyone forgets that the reason why Gould got cut is because he cost them 3 wins a few seasons ago. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

It is just one of those things guys. Kickers fail in big moments, it happens. The Bears played well enough to win if Parkey does his job. Everyone forgets that the reason why Gould got cut is because he cost them 3 wins a few seasons ago. 

Dont give me this.  You didnt need to be a fortune teller to see that a guy who keeps doinking the upper left crossbar over and over was going to do this in the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

He just hit the FG a second before.  He knew what he had to do but choked... like really bad.  If he missed that kick before he was iced, then we knew what was coming.  He teased up and left us with blue balls.

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I wouldn't. Trubisky reminds me of a young Aaron Rodgers. The game is still a little faster than it should be for him at this stage, but I think MVP seasons are on the horizon for him. 

Youre on a roll.

Rodgers is a HOF qb. I dont even know how you compare them as they couldnt be more different. Rodgers sat on the bench and when he finally started he went for 4k yards.

Just now, southsideirish71 said:

Dont give me this.  You didnt need to be a fortune teller to see that a guy who keeps doinking the upper left crossbar over and over was going to do this in the playoffs. 

I don't disagree, but it still doesn't mean they didn't do what they had to to win that game. 

2 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Youre on a roll.

Rodgers is a HOF qb. I dont even know how you compare them as they couldnt be more different. Rodgers sat on the bench and when he finally started he went for 4k yards.

Mitch very well could have if he didn't get injured. Just wait. Their tools are very similar. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Mitch very well could have if he didn't get injured. Just wait. Their tools are very similar. 

Its Trubisky's second season.

Rodgers went for 4k with 30td and 7 ints.

Besides for playing QB they dont really have similar tools. Rodgers top tool was an elite arm, with top tier arm strength.

15 minutes ago, Tony said:

Bro, I appreciate the positivity but now you’re hot taking the other way. Mitch certainly isn’t trash, but he has shown very little to be compared to someone like Rodgers. It’s ok for him to be somewhere in the middle. 

It’s already been said, but it’s not “one of those things” in this case. They knew this was a problem all year, fans disused it at length, it was the running joke all week on radio that Parkey was going to screw this all up, and sure enough. The writing was on the way and it could have been avoided by the front office. 

I never said he WAS Rodgers, I said he reminds me of a young Rodgers. I just think that the skillset is very similar. Mitch has some footwork issues he needs to get shored up but he flashed the accuracy that Pace was talking about on Draft Day 2017 during the 2nd half today. Mitch is insanely talented. He also is way more inexperienced than any other starter in the NFL in terms of games played since HS. It is going to take longer for the game to slow down, but the fact that he was average this season when you can still tell that the game is moving fast for him is an incredibly encouraging sign. When I compare Rodgers and Trubisky I'm not saying that he is definitely going to win MVPs or anything, but I see a LOT of the traits that all of the HOF QBs have with Mitch. He's probably going to take off a bit later in his career than others. Rodgers got to sit for 3 years, Mitch didn't get that luxury. 

I honestly don't see this as an incredibly hot take. If it was so obvious that Mahomes was/is better why isn't Mahomes here and Mitch in KC or Cleveland?

This is the first full season for both Trubisky and Mahomes and the story of their careers hasn't been written yet. It could be that this season is the best Mahomes will ever have, and the worst Trubisky will ever have.  

I know Parkey missing a kick was a running joke all week, and yes it was forseeable. Do you really expect a K off the street to be any better? 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Trubisky played well - he was getting spied in the first half and the Eagles did a decent job containing him without blitzing. The verticals were there but he just wasn't getting the breaks, he started to connect in the second half. He put them in a position to win, it just came down to the scenario we all feared for the whole season.

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

As many have mentioned, they should have been looking for other kickers in Week 6. At this point, yes, I do expect someone else out there could have done a better job. Absolutely. 

It’s like having a bad closer and being surprised that closer blew a game in the baseball postseason.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I never said he WAS Rodgers, I said he reminds me of a young Rodgers. I just think that the skillset is very similar. Mitch has some footwork issues he needs to get shored up but he flashed the accuracy that Pace was talking about on Draft Day 2017 today. Mitch is insanely talented. He also is way more inexperienced than any other starter in the NFL in terms of games played since HS. It is going to take longer for the game to slow down, but the fact that he was average this season when you can still tell that the game is moving fast for him is an incredibly encouraging sign. When I compare Rodgers and Trubisky I'm not saying that he is definitely going to win MVPs or anything, but I see a LOT of the traits that all of the HOFs have with Mitch. He's probably going to take off a bit later in his career than others. Rodgers got to sit for 3 years, Mitch didn't get that luxury. 

I know Parkey missing a kick was a running joke all week, and yes it was forseeable. Do you really expect a K off the street to be any better? 

I think the problem i have with the comparison is that Rodgers is nothing like Trubisky. I dont know what early Rodgers you were watching but he wasnt a running QB. Teams didnt spy on Rodgers to prevent him from running. Rodgers has never run for 400 yards in a season. In his first season starting he averaged 12 yards a game for a little bit more than 200 yards.

If you want to hot take him as a HOF pick Steve Young or something.

5 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I think the problem i have with the comparison is that Rodgers is nothing like Trubisky. I dont know what early Rodgers you were watching but he wasnt a running QB. Teams didnt spy on Rodgers to prevent him from running. Rodgers has never run for 400 yards in a season. In his first season starting he averaged 12 yards a game for a little bit more than 200 yards.

If you want to hot take him as a HOF pick Steve Young or something.

With regard to being run-first you're right, but that is due to inexperience more than anything. Rodgers in his younger years absolutely was a threat to run and would break off 15-20 yarders when the defense wasn't paying attention. Rodgers was a mobile QB but he didn't use it because you get hurt if you run too much in the NFL. He'd do it just enough to make you gameplan for it, but otherwise was more of a pocket guy. I'd bet he would have had 4-500 rushing seasons if the Packers jettisoned Favre earlier. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

11 minutes ago, Tony said:

As many have mentioned, they should have been looking for other kickers in Week 6. At this point, yes, I do expect someone else out there could have done a better job. Absolutely. 

They sat Wims and White essentially all year and some guy named Nick Williams. I would have signed a kicker after the miss in the Jets game and carried two kickers and sent one of those 3 guys I mentioned to the curb. I can't stand David Kaplan but one thing he says that I agree with is: "who cares how much you're paying someone? You can either pay the guy to go away or pay him to lose you games." Pace and Nagy were stubborn.

Edited by soxfan49

Just now, soxfan49 said:

They sat Wims and White essentially all year and some guy named Nick Williams. I would have signed a kicker after the miss in the Jets game and carried two kickers. I can't stand David Kaplan but one thing he says that I agree with is: "who cares how much you're paying someone? You can either pay the guy to go away or pay him to lose you games." Pace and Nagy were stubborn.

I thought White should have been cut by the end of September. It's clear he just isn't an NFL WR. He might become a Cordarelle Patterson type, but idk if he has the speed for that anymore. 

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

With regard to being run-first you're right, but that is due to inexperience more than anything. Rodgers in his younger years absolutely was a threat to run and would break off 15-20 yarders when the defense wasn't paying attention. Rodgers was a mobile QB but he didn't use it because you get hurt if you run too much in the NFL. He'd do it just enough to make you gameplan for it, but otherwise was more of a pocket guy. I'd bet he would have had 4-500 rushing seasons if the Packers jettisoned Favre earlier. 

In college Rodgers ran for 210 and 126 yards in his 2 seasons.

He was never a running qb. And hed never run for 500 yards because Rodgers would never pick running over throwing unless they just gave him 20 yards running.

They arent similar at all. Im not sure what QB you were watching but it wasnt Rodgers. Many times Rodgers would pass up easy runs for more difficult passes.

Edited by Soxbadger

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

In college Rodgers never ran for 210 and 126 yards in his 2 seasons.

He was never a running qb. And hed never run for 500 yards because Rodgers would never pick running over throwing unless they just gave him 20 yards running.

They arent similar at all. Im not sure what QB you were watching but it wasnt Rodgers. Many times Rodgers would pass up easy runs for more difficult passes.

I know he hasn't had the gaudy rushing seasons, but Rodgers absolutely was a threat with his legs. Just because he didn't use it often, doesn't mean it wasn't there. 

2 hours ago, pettie4sox said:

He just hit the FG a second before.  He knew what he had to do but choked... like really bad.  If he missed that kick before he was iced, then we knew what was coming.  He teased up and left us with blue balls.

This is one of those great moments of Chicago sports failures that will always be remembered. Can you recall the goats of past playoff losses? No one person stands out like Parkey

I’m grateful it’s only a wildcard game and not the NFC championship or superbowl. This team as constructed should be returning to the playoffs (although with the Bears thats never guaranteed). Win a playoff game and this moment will just be a laughing punch line. Which, come to think of it, Parkey was really given a lot of leeway because of the novelty of his failure. “He hit the goal past! What are the odds!?” Its unfortunate it took this game to learn their lesson, though

Edited by Flash Tizzle