Official 2018-19 NFL Thread

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I know he hasn't had the gaudy rushing seasons, but Rodgers absolutely was a threat with his legs. Just because he didn't use it often, doesn't mean it wasn't there. 

Thats not the point. Its the style of play. Rodgers was a throw first, second, third and fourth option. 

I doubt Rodgers has run read option 10 times in his career. 

5 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

A decent kicker would've elevated that enough to avoid a tip. I like the gem replies after that though on Twitter. 

Just the Eagles trying to claim responsibility for Parker’s miss. Better motivation than believing a missed kick is why your team won. 

10 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Thats not the point. Its the style of play. Rodgers was a throw first, second, third and fourth option. 

The game was different when he came in. Meh. Again, I see a lot of the same tools even if they're used differently. 

I'm not talking about play style or anything, I'm talking about tools that a QB needs to be successful. I only use Rodgers because he's the only comp I can think of. Trubisky absolutely runs more than Rodgers. I'm not arguing that. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

6 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

It feels like you are using a really specific and narrow definition here. Rodgers wasn't a "running QB" the way people think Cam Newton is but he was definitely a threat to pick up yards with his legs. He didn't have an offense designed around that but almost nobody did then except maybe Tebow (because he couldn't do anything else). He used his mobility to extend plays, one of the reasons he got sacked a lot.

2 minutes ago, lostfan said:

It feels like you are using a really specific and narrow definition here. Rodgers wasn't a "running QB" the way people think Cam Newton is but he was definitely a threat to pick up yards with his legs. He didn't have an offense designed around that but almost nobody did then except maybe Tebow (because he couldn't do anything else). He used his mobility to extend plays, one of the reasons he got sacked a lot.

Thanks lostfan. Agreed 100%

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, lostfan said:

He was mobile but he used that mobility entirely differently than Trubisky. 

Which is why Trubisky and Rodgers is a horrible comparison.

Not to mention Rodgers top skill was arm strength. It was a long time ago but im pretty sure coming into the NFL one of the reports was he could throw 60 yards from his knee.

Its a horrible comparison, besides for playing QB Rodgers and Trubisky are not similar.

(Edit) 

He is the one who said Rodgers could have run for 400-500 yards if only he started sooner. Rodgers barely ran in college, it wasnt one of his "skills".

Edited by Soxbadger

Just now, Soxbadger said:

He was mobile but he used that mobility entirely differently than Trubisky. 

Which is why Trubisky and Rodgers is a horrible comparison.

Not to mention Rodgers top skill was arm strength. It was a long time ago but im pretty sure coming into the NFL one of the reports was he could throw 60 yards from his knee.

Its a horrible comparison, besides for playing QB Rodgers and Trubisky are not similar.

What is your argument here exactly? Is it that Trubisky's mobility is not similar to Rodgers's earlier in his career? Because that'd just be plain false. They use their mobility differently because they have different coaches but physical tools are physical tools.

10 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Just the Eagles trying to claim responsibility for Parker’s miss. Better motivation than believing a missed kick is why your team won. 

Bad comment.  If he got a piece of the kick, that's a difference between a make and hitting the upright.

You're upset, that's fine.  I am, too.  But the Bears should have scored more than 16 and the kick was tipped.  

Just now, lostfan said:

What is your argument here exactly? Is it that Trubisky's mobility is not similar to Rodgers's earlier in his career? Because that'd just be plain false. They use their mobility differently because they have different coaches but physical tools are physical tools.

My argument is that rodgers has different skills than Trubisky and that no one would ever compare a young rodgers to Trubisky.

Mobility in the pocket to extend the play to pass is a different skill than mobility to run for yardage.

1 minute ago, AustinIllini said:

Bad comment.  If he got a piece of the kick, that's a difference between a make and hitting the upright.

You're upset, that's fine.  I am, too.  But the Bears should have scored more than 16 and the kick was tipped.  

I agree they should have scored more than 16 but bottom line is Parkey had the chance to win from a fairly fair distance and couldn’t elevate the ball enough to knock it in. Both teams made mistakes that could have altered the score, Parkey missing is the reality

1 minute ago, TheTruth05 said:

I agree they should have scored more than 16 but bottom line is Parkey had the chance to win from a fairly fair distance and couldn’t elevate the ball enough to knock it in. Both teams made mistakes that could have altered the score, Parkey missing is the reality

I mean, a lot of that is bad luck, too, though.  It takes a pretty mammoth effort to block a kick.

1 minute ago, AustinIllini said:

Trubisky did what he needed to do.  That's the major positive I took out of this.

If Trubisky can ball out like he did in that second half the Bears are set up nicely for a VERY long time

6 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

So the same kicker who had doinked the upright five times previously just happened to have the ball deflected enough to do it for a sixth time......during a playoff game? Regardless if you truly believe the tip was enough for the ball to miss, as others have said he should have elevated the ball. He’s the goat of this game and justifiably so. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

So the same kicker who had doinked the upright five times previously just happened to have the ball deflected enough to do it for a sixth time......during a playoff game? Regardless if you truly believe the tip was enough for the ball to miss, as others have said he should have elevated the ball. He’s the goat of this game and justifiably so. 

Look man, facts are facts.  The video is clear.  You believe whatever BS Cub fan style hocus pocus you want to believe.

Seriously, stop with the nonsense.  Leave that to the north siders

Edited by AustinIllini

19 minutes ago, lostfan said:

Thanks again

2 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

Look man, facts are facts.  The video is clear.  You believe whatever BS Cub fan style hocus pocus you want to believe.

Im not believing that it didn’t happen. I’m just not willing to absolve any blame from him regardless of the tip. Like to suggest the kick would have been perfect if not for the tip

Just now, Flash Tizzle said:

Im not believing that it didn’t happen. I’m just not willing to absolve any blame from him regardless of the tip. Like to suggest the kick would have been perfect if not for the tip

It's pretty basic physics.  Any small tip at the point of contact causes a large affect towards the end of the ball's trajectory.  The ball hit the upright.  I'm not saying it would have been perfect but it would likely have been a good field goal.

We gotta to figure out who we are on offense next season. Are we a passing team, are we a running team? If we’re are a passing team we need a better top 3 receiver than what we have now. If we are committing to the run, we need to replace Howard. The dude does a fine job pass blocking, but his explosiveness is all but gone this year. If Howard gets stuff a few times, we completely give up on the run and live and die on Mitch’s arm. That’s exactly what happened today. Against a weakened Eagles defense, it shouldn’t have come down to a Parkey field goal.

• Like 1