Official 2018-19 NFL Thread

28 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

Bad comment.  If he got a piece of the kick, that's a difference between a make and hitting the upright.

You're upset, that's fine.  I am, too.  But the Bears should have scored more than 16 and the kick was tipped.  

Yep. Even if they pulled this off, they were going to get crushed next week

1 minute ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

We gotta to figure out who we are on offense next season. Are we a passing team, are we a running team? If we’re are a passing team we need a better top 3 receiver than what we have now. If we are committing to the run, we need to replace Howard. The dude does a fine job pass blocking, but his explosiveness is all but gone this year. If Howard gets stuff a few times, we completely give up on the run and live and die on Mitch’s arm. That’s exactly what happened today. Against a weakened Eagles defense, it shouldn’t have come down to a Parkey field goal.

Couple things

1. We're a Matt Nagy offense, so screen passing and traditional passing with schemes to open receivers and tight ends
  2. Living and dying by your quarterback is the modern NFL.  And for the record, a bad field goal does not mean we died by Trubisky's arm.  That was a big time drive fourth quarter.

8 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

It's pretty basic physics.  Any small tip at the point of contact causes a large affect towards the end of the ball's trajectory.  The ball hit the upright.  I'm not saying it would have been perfect but it would likely have been a good field goal.

Ah but what if it would have been wide left and the tip helped guide it back to the upright??

11 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Im not believing that it didn’t happen. I’m just not willing to absolve any blame from him regardless of the tip. Like to suggest the kick would have been perfect if not for the tip

What?!?! You don't think a guy who probably put a couple of skin cells on a kick that was probably hitting the upright anyways helped do that?!?! Man you're a meatball fan. ;)

5 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

We gotta to figure out who we are on offense next season. Are we a passing team, are we a running team? If we’re are a passing team we need a better top 3 receiver than what we have now. If we are committing to the run, we need to replace Howard. The dude does a fine job pass blocking, but his explosiveness is all but gone this year. If Howard gets stuff a few times, we completely give up on the run and live and die on Mitch’s arm. That’s exactly what happened today. Against a weakened Eagles defense, it shouldn’t have come down to a Parkey field goal.

I agree and I’m excited to see this offense in year two. It was nice to see Robinson look like the guy we paid him to be, but this offseason will be more about Mitch’s development as well as everyone else in the offense getting more comfortable. Hopefully miller, wins and shaheen can take big steps forward.

i thought the Bears not relying more on Howard early hurt them. They kept using Mizell randomly and unfortunately Cohen has too many negative plays. They need to trade Howard or figure out how to use him. He was much better the final five or six games of the season too and I thought he played well today (other then he could have broke that one for a td but I think they scored anyway  on that drive). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

What?!?! You don't think a guy who probably put a couple of skin cells on a kick that was probably hitting the upright anyways helped do that?!?! Man you're a meatball fan. ;)

It was clearly more than a couple of skin cells.

1 minute ago, Tony said:

I don’t believe that for a second. 

I don’t either. I don’t think they were going to win a Super Bowl this year, but they certainly had the talent to do so. Whether they would or wouldn’t, no idea, but they could play with anyone. 

Also for an offense mastermind, or Nagy called a very conservative game today. He also needs find his identity, I expected more from him against this defense. Comparing the play calling from earlier in the season to this game is night and day. I hope he takes this as a lesson learned and builds more confidence in himself and his players in the next big game we play in.

1 minute ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Also for an offense mastermind, or Nagy called a very conservative game today. He also needs find his identity, I expected more from him against this defense. Comparing the play calling from earlier in the season to this game is night and day. I hope he takes this as a lesson learned and builds more confidence in himself and his players in the next big game we play in.

The Trubisky injury clearly made an impact on the game plan.  When MT became reasonably immobile, the team had to do more dedicated runs and screens.  

11 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

They didn't really die by Trubisky's arm though. Trubisky and Robinson were great today. Miller kinda hit the rookie wall this year so he'll be better next year, and Burton was missed as Shaheen was a non-factor. Dude is soft as baby thighs.

Just now, Tony said:

Nagy using Mizell and Cunningham on 3rd downs was maddening. 

I was so puzzled. This whole season I literally felt like Nagy was fucking with Howard. It’s as if he has no idea how to get a running back like Howard on a role. He was rarely used right by Nagy. One of Nagys few weaknesses imo. He’s smart though and will learn and maybe Howard just isn’t the right back for Matt. 

Cohen sure as shit isn’t either. He can’t be a primary ball carrier. Thankfully Nagy is smart and can figure out ways to be creative in getting him touches. 

Next year will be tougher and they’ll need to get better, but at least Mitch didn’t shit the bed. He played some damn good football when it mattered most. Wish him and Miller could have connected for a TD on that final 3rd down.

From a clock management perspective, Nagy stunk tonight. Didn’t use his time outs early enough on that last Eagle drive (gave up 15 or 20 seconds) and then using that last time out vs spiking it was bad. That said a 42 yarder or whatever it was was a chip shot. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lostfan said:

They didn't really die by Trubisky's arm though. Trubisky and Robinson were great today. Miller kinda hit the rookie wall this year so he'll be better next year, and Burton was missed as Shaheen was a non-factor. Dude is soft as baby thighs.

Quite the opposite.  With a decent kicker, Trubisky won that game and we're talking about how well he plaid.  

And for all the sadness, it all comes down to this: If your quarterback is good, you're in good shape in the NFL.  The defense is still young, talented, and inexpensive.  Add to that Pace's skill on lower draft picks and you're looking at increased depth.  

5 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I think it was him trying to protect Mitch. We tried to play a conservative defensive game and rely on our strength. I totally get it, by the Eagles are a veteran playoff tested team and it’s a dangerous game when you play that style cause a bad bounce or two can be all the difference (especially when you are the better team). Hindsight is 20/20 though cause that style worked well against Minny and Packers. 

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

I just don’t know how you could even say that given the performance the Bears put together against the Rams earlier this season, even with Mitch having a bad game. The Bears were the only team in the NFL this season to lead in the 2nd half of every game. 

There is a group out there that just refuses to buy into the Bears no matter what they see. Especially the guys that decided to be “out” on Mitch early, there is this want to be “right” so badly they can’t see the forest through the trees. 

Well said.  Here's the thing about Trubisky: He's realistically as good or better than DeShaun Watson.  Yet Watson is a media darling.  Trubisky isn't.  I can't explain it, personally.

Edited by AustinIllini

4 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I agree and I’m excited to see this offense in year two. It was nice to see Robinson look like the guy we paid him to be, but this offseason will be more about Mitch’s development as well as everyone else in the offense getting more comfortable. Hopefully miller, wins and shaheen can take big steps forward.

i thought the Bears not relying more on Howard early hurt them. They kept using Mizell randomly and unfortunately Cohen has too many negative plays. They need to trade Howard or figure out how to use him. He was much better the final five or six games of the season too and I thought he played well today (other then he could have broke that one for a td but I think they scored anyway  on that drive). 

Maybe it’s just me, but Howard looked like he was running heavier and slower this season. The explosiveness just wasn’t there. He did look better during the final stretch of the season, and today he did ok, but the play calling didn’t do him any favors either.

7 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Nagy is far more conservative in general than people think. Today, he should've attacked what is a very weak Philadelphia secondary, but he didn't until the fourth quarter. That, more than anything, is why we lost. I wanted him to have learned the lesson after the KC playoff collapse last year, then after the Dolphins game this year. Not sure if this is what will finally do it for him. 

5 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

The Trubisky injury clearly made an impact on the game plan.  When MT became reasonably immobile, the team had to do more dedicated runs and screens.  

Not having Burton I think hurt. He hasn’t been as strong in the 2nd half but defenses have to focus on him vs Shaheen and he is a nice safety net and could have helped them convert some 3rd downs or even convert one of those field goals into a td. 

Also there were a few balls down the field where I was wishing Jackson was there. Balls that hung up longer then you’d want. No idea If Jackson would have made a play or not as Bush didn’t have any big gaffes. He’s just such a playmaker when healthy.

Mack is going to go hamm when he gets back in postseason. Floyd is really damn good. Same with Hicks. Fuller too. 

Akemura is a pass interference machine though. Not sure if him getting a little older and slower is causing it or not but he had what felt like a lot of PIs called on him later in the season. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Nagy is far more conservative in general than people think. Today, he should've attacked what is a very weak Philadelphia secondary, but he didn't until the fourth quarter. That, more than anything, is why we lost. I wanted him to have learned the lesson after the KC playoff collapse last year, then after the Dolphins game this year. Not sure if this is what will finally do it for him. 

Very well said And fully agree, if Nagy had attacked that secondary out of the gate there is no doubt the Bears win this game. The Philly secondary was literally playing underneath expecting Trubisky not to challenge their secondary and Nagy played right into it. Frustrating 

Edited by TheTruth05

3 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Maybe it’s just me, but Howard looked like he was running heavier and slower this season. The explosiveness just wasn’t there. He did look better during the final stretch of the season, and today he did ok, but the play calling didn’t do him any favors either.

I agree earlier in the season Howard looked slow but I think part of that was they were calling run plays designed for shifty backs with him. He’s have to move laterally and then vertically a lot on the runs for him and they just weren’t the right calls for Howard. They seemed to correct that late in the season too though. If he isn’t traded I hope Nagy and Howard get on the same page cause I know Howard is going to come back with a chip on his shoulder heading into that contract year. 

8 minutes ago, lostfan said:

If we’re a passing team, I don’t trust Robinson as a number 1 receiver. He didn’t show he was one consistently this season. We need a true big weapon for Mitch if that’s our identity.

Nagy coached like he had a team with a top defense going up against a team with a back up.

Its a fine strategy overall, but at some point it was apparent that the Bears defense wasnt going to completely shut them down and they needed to turn up the offense.

I personally thought the defensive play calling wasnt that great. Foles was floating deep balls and it seemed like the Bears were content being in zone and giving up short routes.