Official 2018-19 NFL Thread

I'm not ready to call a winner in the Watson vs. Trubisky debate.  They are both 2 seasons in and I think both have shown enough that can make either fan base excited (i.e., if Watson was on the Bears, I'd probably be just as jazzed as having Trubisky). The exception to this is Mahomes who is just insane.  The sad part is, we have a coach who could have developed Mahomes (Nagy) or at least I believe we do. Its a moot point though but either way, I have enjoyed how Mitch has grown this season, but he still has a long ways to go to be a top QB. He's shown flashes which indicate he could be there, but that doesn't mean he ends up getting there.  This off-season and next season will be huge...hopefully the arrow is pointing up and we see big time growth out of him next year (to point where we can be talking about a pro-bowl).  

Bears don't have a ton of cap space, but they'll have to figure out what they'll do at nickel DB spot, safety (Amos - solid & durable), and RT.  Plus they probably are taking a running back.  I don't know if they take a wideout or not, but I could see it.  Development of existing players will be key (as will obviously durability) and hopefully they can draft efficiently (since they won't have any top picks).  

4 minutes ago, nitetrain8601 said:

Ok so he was so much better than Rodgers, Russell, Ryan and Goff as well as Watson?

Again, if you put aside your narrative and look at what actually happened on the field, you would realize that Trubisky had an amazing season on 3rd down and in other high value situations.  Rodgers, Goff, and Ryan have played better in previous years, but this season they did not situationally play as well.  

And Watson is good but he's just not as good as Trubisky.  

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

I'm not ready to call a winner in the Watson vs. Trubisky debate.  They are both 2 seasons in and I think both have shown enough that can make either fan base excited (i.e., if Watson was on the Bears, I'd probably be just as jazzed as having Trubisky). The exception to this is Mahomes who is just insane.  The sad part is, we have a coach who could have developed Mahomes (Nagy) or at least I believe we do. Its a moot point though but either way, I have enjoyed how Mitch has grown this season, but he still has a long ways to go to be a top QB. He's shown flashes which indicate he could be there, but that doesn't mean he ends up getting there.  This off-season and next season will be huge...hopefully the arrow is pointing up and we see big time growth out of him next year (to point where we can be talking about a pro-bowl).  

Bears don't have a ton of cap space, but they'll have to figure out what they'll do at nickel DB spot, safety (Amos - solid & durable), and RT.  Plus they probably are taking a running back.  I don't know if they take a wideout or not, but I could see it.  Development of existing players will be key (as will obviously durability) and hopefully they can draft efficiently (since they won't have any top picks).  

Running back this season?  Wouldn't they wait until Howard walks?

27 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

Again, if you put aside your narrative and look at what actually happened on the field, you would realize that Trubisky had an amazing season on 3rd down and in other high value situations.  Rodgers, Goff, and Ryan have played better in previous years, but this season they did not situationally play as well.  

And Watson is good but he's just not as good as Trubisky.  

You're telling me to look situationally when your claim is looking at players as a whole. Watson has shown to be a better QB overall. Rodgers, Goff, Wilson, Ryan all have as well. There is one statistic that shows otherwise and the weight for situational football is found there. You're telling me I'm going with counting stats when Passer Rating is still a thing and not a counting stat that shows Trubs is not on any of those QBs' level.

You know damn well you wouldn't take Trubisky over the QBs I mentioned over their career or just for this season.

Lemme guess, you still believe in being clutch in baseball too.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Soxbadger said:

Bellcow back makes little sense for this offense. They need athletes with good hands. I feel Nagy gets less creative when Howard is in because he feels he is one dimensional.

That isn't what I mean by that. I meant  a guy who doesn't give away what the offense is doing 80% of the time by his presence on the field. When Cohen is out there, they're passing ~75-80% of the time. When Howard is in there, they're running ~60% of the time. Whether 29 or 24 is in the game, for the most part, makes the Bears offense predictable. They can't have that. What I meant is that they need a back who can carry the load if necessary as a runner AND catch the ball out of the backfield in order to make the offense more unpredictable. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 hours ago, Chi Town Sox said:

Watson right now is better than Trubisky, those numbers came with the worst offensive line in the league and off of a major injury. 

I agree with this. Watson has worst oline of any QB not named manning.

• Like 1

That said, never been happier with Trubisky. That drive to lead them to FG position was last box to check.

Issue bears had was every other team with kicker problems cut bait before bears knew issue wasn’t correcting itself (Detroit).

Pace has had a real dumb policy of never really bringing competition against his kickers. Needs to stop, even if you bring in Gould.

Also Allen Robinson is good, don’t spend anything on a WR.

• Like 1

After the season we just had and the progress Mitch showed, I can’t believe Bears fans wouldn’t be pumped about this kid. Far and away the best upside and most flashes of potential I’ve seen from a Bears QB in my lifetime. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, nitetrain8601 said:

You're telling me to look situationally when your claim is looking at players as a whole. Watson has shown to be a better QB overall. Rodgers, Goff, Wilson, Ryan all have as well. There is one statistic that shows otherwise and the weight for situational football is found there. You're telling me I'm going with counting stats when Passer Rating is still a thing and not a counting stat that shows Trubs is not on any of those QBs' level.

You know damn well you wouldn't take Trubisky over the QBs I mentioned over their career or just for this season.

Lemme guess, you still believe in being clutch in baseball too.

Passer rating is a formula that compares flawed counting stats and has no situational adjustments.

Your stat of choice is "narrative". Have fun with that, football Greg

16 minutes ago, Steve9347 said:

After the season we just had and the progress Mitch showed, I can’t believe Bears fans wouldn’t be pumped about this kid. Far and away the best upside and most flashes of potential I’ve seen from a Bears QB in my lifetime. 

He took major steps this year for sure.

1 minute ago, GoSox05 said:

The kicker blew it at the end, but at the end of the game your offense gives you the lead in the 4th.  The Bears defense has to step up on that last Eagles drive.

Yeah, and there was this on the Eagles' other TD:

Parkey deserves to be run out of town but he wasn't the sole reason they lost. Need to put up more than 15 points in the playoffs, and need to stop the Eagles at the end of the 4th when you have the lead.

8 minutes ago, Tony said:

The Bears defense not “stepping up” is like reason No. 72 why they lost. 

Looking at the box this morning, Tarik having four total touches, (1 carry, 3 catches) is criminal. All he does is make plays and probably your most explosive weapon. We saw that on the last return. That’s on Nagy. 

Nagy insisting on Mizzel and even Cunningham getting touches is just mind-boggling. And it's not like they were on weird trick plays with misdirection, just routine run calls. Neither of them should have seen the field for the offense.

16 minutes ago, Tony said:

The Bears defense not “stepping up” is like reason No. 72 why they lost. 

Looking at the box this morning, Tarik having four total touches, (1 carry, 3 catches) is criminal. All he does is make plays and probably your most explosive weapon. We saw that on the last return. That’s on Nagy. 

The defense played well all game, but the Bears defense has to make a stop in the 4th quarter. 

They traded two first round picks and made Mack the highest paid defensive player.  They have about three or four other first round picks on that defense and a ton of big time free agent money spent.  On the last drive the Eagles with a back up QB carved them up in their own stadium.

It's not the only reason they lost, but if they want to be mentioned with other great defenses they have to make a stop there.

• Like 1

I don't understand what the point was of dressing Eddie Jackson if you didn't plan on playing him? Was that supposed to be some type of psych out move by Nagy? Wouldn't it have been better to dress Trey instead to make the defense think he's gonna be TE1, Shaheen did not look anything close to a TE1.

I'm just not over this loss. Alot of factors went into the Bears losing and I'm disappointed in their 1st half approach which left them with 6 pts thanks to a couple bad Eagles penalties and partially dropped INTs.

6 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

The defense played well all game, but the Bears defense has to make a stop in the 4th quarter. 

They traded two first round picks and made Mack the highest paid defensive player.  They have about three or four other first round picks on that defense and a ton of big time free agent money spent.  On the last drive the Eagles with a back up QB carved them up in their own stadium.

It's not the only reason they lost, but if they want to be mentioned with other great defenses they have to make a stop there.

Yeah, while a defense only giving up 16 points should be enough, I do agree with you.  It was a 4th down, just make one more stop with 61,000 people screaming on your side, just get it done.  I think the Eagles O-Line did a good job on the Bears pass rush overall, it was quieter than usual.  

1 hour ago, StrangeSox said:

He took major steps this year for sure.

There's definitely reasons to be optimistic with him, but I would like to see him consistently put together 4 good quarters (other than the Tampa game).  For as good as he played in the second half yesterday, they still only scored one touchdown, because the offense was asleep in the 1st half. 

I think the Eagles are good, and still have the best offensive/defensive line combos in the game that finally got healthy, and in a close game they had enough breaks go their way to win. Yeah, the defense should have tackled better that last drive. Yeah, the eagles should have had the deep safety help on that last drive to prevent the bears from driving easily to their 25, but they didn't and then a kicker missed a kick. 

17 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Jackson was dressed but didn't see the field. Why?

Because they had an extra spot available with Burton's inactive, and felt if multiple injuries struck he'd be better than a player out of position, but not better than a healthy deon bush.

49 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

The kicker blew it at the end, but at the end of the game your offense gives you the lead in the 4th.  The Bears defense has to step up on that last Eagles drive.

Blaming Parkey is the lazy fan response. Everyone deserves a little blame. The last 6 minutes you had the offense blow a chance to ice the game with a long drive (had a quick 3 and out). The defense allowed Foles to march down the field and score a TD. And then Parky kicked the ball too low and/or the line allowed too much pressure so the ball got tipped. 

Having said that, if there's a better option out there, the Bears need to go another direction. I don't want them to be in this same position next year and have to rely on Parkey under all that pressure.

Edited by Jenksismyhero

The difference between the Eagles being super bowl champions last year and the falcons beating them 16-15 at their stadium was a failed goal line pass. 

Yes, I too would like the bears to have done all the plays that work and none of the things that don't, but sometimes the other team plays well too, and in a close game the thing that happened last went against the bears.