Official 2018-19 NFL Thread

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

I wouldn't say that. Fangio's defenses tend to get worse but this one didn't, probably because of all of the talent. It's a loss for sure but "gut punch" is an overreaction, imo.

Agreed, also don't care to keep Donatell. This defense has the speed and talent to play much more aggressive than they have under Fangio.

6 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

Agreed, also don't care to keep Donatell. This defense has the speed and talent to play much more aggressive than they have under Fangio.

100% agree. They need someone who will design exotic blitz schemes. They 100% have 3-4 personnel, so getting a 3-4 DC is a must. 

Fangio was way too passive for my tastes. You don't run a 3-4 if you're not going to come up with crazy blitz packages. If they get the right guy, I could see Floyd absolutely becoming a monster next year.

It isn't crazy to think that the defense could be even better with a more aggressive DC.  

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Fangio was a bad coordinator in the early 2000s too. 

He was. 

I was actually thinking of another D coordinator with the Packers who really awful.  Bob Sanders.

Donatell wasn't all that bad.

I was going to say, my gut was the Bears had to have feelers out to at least a top coordinator candidate or two in the case Vic was going to leave. If Vic was going to go, I'm glad it happened sooner vs. later (in the sense that the longer it played out...the less likely it would be to land other top assistants).  

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

You would think that is an easy choice, as he'd have to build a 3-4 defense from scratch in Tampa. 

Not only that but the trajectory of the teams is very different at the moment 

Fishbain made a good point that Nagy actually didn't hire anyone last year that he worked with previously, with exception of childress (perhaps was a position guy or two). Could be an interesting run.

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

Not only that but the trajectory of the teams is very different at the moment 

No kidding. Winston sucks, Trubisky is at least good, with the potential to be great. This should be a no-brainer for Bowles. The only bad thing is that we'll see a lot of typos spelling his name "Bowels" LOL. 

17 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

100% agree. They need someone who will design exotic blitz schemes. They 100% have 3-4 personnel, so getting a 3-4 DC is a must. 

Fangio was way too passive for my tastes. You don't run a 3-4 if you're not going to come up with crazy blitz packages. If they get the right guy, I could see Floyd absolutely becoming a monster next year.

It isn't crazy to think that the defense could be even better with a more aggressive DC.  

Why would you want to blitz all the time when you are getting pressure with your front consistently?  The Bears were 4th in the NFL in sacks and were by far the best pass defense in the NFL.  The Bears were also 4th best in the NFL against the run. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

Why would you want to blitz all the time when you are getting pressure with your front consistently?  The Bears were 4th in the NFL in sacks and were by far the best pass defense in the NFL.  The Bears were also 4th best in the NFL against the run. 

They didn't vs. good OLs. Pederson completely schemed Mack out of the game. 

I don't want to blitz every down, just more often. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I wouldn't say that. Fangio's defenses tend to get worse but this one didn't, probably because of all of the talent. It's a loss for sure but "gut punch" is an overreaction, imo.

Blatantly false.  He had top 5 defenses in the NFL his entire time in San Francisco (if you want to point to points his last defense finished only 10th in points but they were top 5 in takeaways and yards allowed despite Willis missing most of that year and Aldon Smith missing most of the year). 

RT @AdamSchefter: Hold off on those Todd-Bowles-to Tampa stories, for now. Matt Nagy’s father coached Todd Bowles in high school, and Bowles is being considered to replace Vic Fangio as Chicago’s defensive coordinator, per league sources. Nothing signed in Tampa.