Official 2018-19 NFL Thread

10 minutes ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

Blatantly false.  He had top 5 defenses in the NFL his entire time in San Francisco (if you want to point to points his last defense finished only 10th in points but they were top 5 in takeaways and yards allowed despite Willis missing most of that year and Aldon Smith missing most of the year). 

Blatantly true*

RT @AllbrightNFL: CHI is the only stop in Vic Fangio's career where his defense got better over time.

CAR

Yr 1: 8

Yr 2: 2

Yr 3: 13

Yr 4: 27th

IND

Yr 1: 17

Yr 2: 15

Yr 3: 31st

HOU

Yr 1: 20

Yr 2: 27

Yr 3: 15

Yr 4: 32nd

SF

Yr 1: 2

Yr 2: 2

Yr 3: 3

Yr 4: 10

CHI

Yr 1: 20

Yr 2: 24

Yr 3: 9

Yr 4: 1

No -I think if he goes with Bucs it is more because he decided that his original decision and bond with Arians led him to go with his initial choice (and not walk away on an initial handshake agreement). I don't blame him if he adjusts and switches to Bears (given relationship with Nagy plus talent of team, etc). Position wasn't there a day ago, but I certainly could see him have a heavy lean of not letting Arians down either.  

3 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

If he wants to sniff another HC position anytime soon he'll become the new Bears DC 

This.  100%.  He's not an old guy.  He'll get another shot but sucking in Tampa isn't going to do him any favors.  He'll basically head coach the defense.  

Arians is a well-respected guy.  He'll understand.

6 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

You guys are all presuming that the Bears are going to offer the same amount of money as TB. Usually the Bears are cheap. 

Are you kidding me right now? The cheap narrative? They've made bad moves in the past but they've spent lots of $$ consistently for going on a decade now. Fangio was the highest paid DC in the sport next year. This is a bad take. 

18 minutes ago, Tony said:

By all reports Vic was one of the highest paid coordinators in the league. 

Not sure that theory fits here...

13 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Are you kidding me right now? The cheap narrative? They've made bad moves in the past but they've spent lots of $$ consistently for going on a decade now. Fangio was the highest paid DC in the sport next year. This is a bad take. 

Where are you getting this information? Assistant salaries arent reported. 

As for spending a lot of money consistently, from what I can tell Nagy isnt a top 10 paid coach. So do you guys have any actual facts to back up that the Bears are paying coaches more than anyone? Because Im pretty sure Belicheck and Gruden are 1 and 2, possibly making 2x as much as Nagy.

8 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Where are you getting this information? Assistant salaries arent reported. 

As for spending a lot of money consistently, from what I can tell Nagy isnt a top 10 paid coach. So do you guys have any actual facts to back up that the Bears are paying coaches more than anyone? Because Im pretty sure Belicheck and Gruden are 1 and 2, possibly making 2x as much as Nagy.

I don't think Fangio would have stayed with the Bears (as he would have had opportunities to be a DC elsewhere) after being passed up as head coach without being one of the higher paid assistants in the league. As for Nagy, this was his first head coaching gig, he did not deserve to be paid as a top 10 coach. 

3 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

I don't think Fangio would have stayed with the Bears (as he would have had opportunities to be a DC elsewhere) after being passed up as head coach without being one of the higher paid assistants in the league. As for Nagy, this was his first head coaching gig, he did not deserve to be paid as a top 10 coach. 

Right so if Fangio had to get an increase to be "one of the higher paid coaches" it means that when they originally signed Fangio, he probably was not "the highest paid DC."

We know Trestman Fox, and Nagy were not the "highest paid" coaches.

And Im pretty sure that Arians is going to make more than Nagy next year. So why do we think the Bears are going to outbid TB?

Maybe they will, but I cant find a single time when the Bears outbid everyone for their new coach. Giving a raise to retain someone is different.

Edited by Soxbadger

Google has plenty of stories about Vic being highly paid for an assistant.  Here is the top one.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2018/01/08/bears-turn-attention-vic-fangio-after-matt-nagy-hiring/

Whether Fangio wants to stay with the Bears — or start over elsewhere — remains to be seen. He’s believed to be one of the highest-paid assistant

coaches in the NFL and could serve as the ideal complement to a 39-year-old Nagy. In Los Angeles, longtime coordinator Wade Phillips proved to be a vital part of Sean McVay’s success in his first season.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Google has plenty of stories about Vic being highly paid for an assistant.  Here is the top one.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2018/01/08/bears-turn-attention-vic-fangio-after-matt-nagy-hiring/

Thats different than being the highest paid coach. And so far no one can show a time where the Bears outbid another team for a coach. If Arians really wants Bowles, hes likely to be the highest paid DC. Are the Bears really going to do that?

Also the context of the first post was why Bowles would pick TB, which was money. Well see what happens, but TB needs him (probably wants him more) so id bet they offer more money than the Bears are going to. You dont sign Arians if youre going to cheap out on a DC.

Just now, Soxbadger said:

Thats different than being the highest paid coach. And so far no one can show a time where the Bears outbid another team for a coach. If Arians really wants Bowles, hes likely to be the highest paid DC. Are the Bears really going to do that?

Also the context of the first post was why Bowles would pick TB, which was money. Well see what happens, but TB needs him (probably wants him more) so id bet they offer more money than the Bears are going to. You dont sign Arians if youre going to cheap out on a DC.

There is no evidence for your assertion though.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

There is no evidence for your assertion though.

What that the Bears dont pay the most for coaches? Nagy, Trestman and Fox made no where near what the top coaches made.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2755442-the-10-highest-paid-coaches-in-the-nfl#slide10

Heres Arians on Bowles today:

"He's like a son to me," Arians said of Bowles, whom he offered words of encouragement to after his firing. Arians then offered Bowles the Bucs job. "He thought hard about it. I was doing my best sell job and this happened. We're really excited to be back together."

Just now, Soxbadger said:

What that the Bears dont pay the most for coaches? Nagy, Trestman and Fox made no where near what the top coaches made.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2755442-the-10-highest-paid-coaches-in-the-nfl#slide10

Heres Arians on Bowles today:

"He's like a son to me," Arians said of Bowles, whom he offered words of encouragement to after his firing. Arians then offered Bowles the Bucs job. "He thought hard about it. I was doing my best sell job and this happened. We're really excited to be back together."

That Fangio wasn't highest paid assistants out there.  You just handwaved away evidence that proved you wrong.

Just now, Tony said:

It's been a consistent storyline that Vic is making more than some of the young head coaches in the league. Your right, assistant salaries aren't reported, but I trust the people saying they have a good idea about Vic's salary. 

But now you are talking about hiring a brand new coach, not about a "raise." Before it was simply "The Bears are cheap." 

This of course also totally ignores the $141 million the Bears paid new addition Khalil Mack. 

It was about paying new coaches. Sorry if that wasnt clear. Thought the context of "TB offering more money" was clear it was about coaches.