Official 2018-19 NFL Thread

9 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Very true. He also may not have thought Fangio would get the Broncos job and he already told Arians he would join him. Gentleman's agreement.

Strangest thing was that Nagy's dad had been Bowles HS coach. So the Bears actually had a pretty big connection.

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Or that it isn't money, but honor that won out.

We have no idea if that is true. Bowles could be just saying that because it turned out that AZ paid him a lot more money and it makes him seem like a good guy to the TB fans.

Regardless the Bears didnt get him.

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

We have no idea if that is true. Bowles could be just saying that because it turned out that AZ paid him a lot more money and it makes him seem like a good guy to the TB fans.

Regardless the Bears didnt get him.

I am sure everyone else is lying and you are right.

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am sure everyone else is lying and you are right.

Right about what exactly?

So far the best anyone can argue is that 1 time the Bears paid 1 coordinator as "one of the highest."

How in anyway does that prove that the Bears usually pay a lot for coaches?

Ill hang up and listen.

(edit)

I mean really this is one of the most inane arguments Ive ever had. My comment was about why may sign with TB. The phrase included "usually" which does not mean "always". Im not sure why that comment was so bad. TB is obviously paying Arians a lot of money, they are most likely going to pay Bowles a lot of money. I cant recall the Bears winning a lot of bidding wars for coaches (again maybe Im wrong and people can provide evidence.)

The entire point of the post was that Bowles to Bears is not guaranteed, and I was shocked that so many people were acting like Bowles had to come here. 

Edited by Soxbadger

14 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

I wouldn't mind them taking a look at Kris Richard of the Cowboys who is the DB coach. He was the defensive coordinator for Seattle in their legion of boom days. 

I could see guys like Mike Caldwell (Jets) and Chris Hewitt (Ravens) get interviews. 

19 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

I wouldn't mind them taking a look at Kris Richard of the Cowboys who is the DB coach. He was the defensive coordinator for Seattle in their legion of boom days. 

I don't see cowboys letting go, would probably need to become assistant head coach anyway.

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

Last I heard he was going to be the HC of the Dolphins. Check Twitter. 

EDIT: I can't find it, but I wasn't even thinking about this guy until I saw something on Twitter that said he was going to be the next HC of the Dolphins. I'll continue trying to find it, but it may have been someone who jumped the gun/quoted a fake account. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Last I heard he was going to be the HC of the Dolphins. Check Twitter. 

EDIT: I can't find it, but I wasn't even thinking about this guy until I saw something on Twitter that said he was going to be the next HC of the Dolphins. I'll continue trying to find it, but it may have been someone who jumped the gun/quoted a fake account. 

I would think so considering the Cowboys are still in the playoffs...

I'm not going to minimize the influence Fangio had, but talent > scheme (unless you go full Lovie and hire Bob Babich). There are plenty of quality defensive coordinators that could be had. The Bears are also a 3-4 team on paper but didn't play their base defense very often, the hybrid scheme is the norm these days.

5 hours ago, Soxbadger said:

Right so if Fangio had to get an increase to be "one of the higher paid coaches" it means that when they originally signed Fangio, he probably was not "the highest paid DC."

We know Trestman Fox, and Nagy were not the "highest paid" coaches.

And Im pretty sure that Arians is going to make more than Nagy next year. So why do we think the Bears are going to outbid TB?

Maybe they will, but I cant find a single time when the Bears outbid everyone for their new coach. Giving a raise to retain someone is different.

Why would either of these three coaches be the highest paid? This "cheap" narrative is from the 80s and it needs to be murdered already. In 2019, when the Bears need to pay someone, they pay them. Nagy's making a typical salary for a first-year head coach, if he has a lot of success he'll get extended and make more, just like Lovie did.

2 minutes ago, lostfan said:

Why would either of these three coaches be the highest paid? This "cheap" narrative is from the 80s and it needs to be murdered already. In 2019, when the Bears need to pay someone, they pay them. Nagy's making a typical salary for a first-year head coach, if he has a lot of success he'll get extended and make more, just like Lovie did.

Youre not comparing apples to apples.

The Bears have generally not broken the bank for new coaches. Whether its HC, OC, DC. They havent generally gone after the Grudens, Parcells, Sabans etc who command huge salaries to start.

I was posting from my phone so it wasnt the most eloquent post, but it was a simple response to why Bowles may go to TB instead of the Bears, which is that the money may not be the same. Perhaps i could have written a longer response about how its likely TB is going to offer Bowles much more money and I doubt the Bears would match. 

I really didnt think it was very controversial, so I didnt put a ton of time into the post. I  just thought it was odd everyone was acting like there was no way Bowles could pick TB.

2 hours ago, lostfan said:

The polar opposite of a Josh McDaniels

I figured this was exactly what would end up happening. And for those saying Bears are his best chance for another HC job, don't discount fact that Arians already retired once and whose to say he doesn't do this for a few years and then transition to Bowles.