Official 2018-19 NFL Thread

Nice to see Mahomes come back strong in the second half.

Chiefs DESPERATELY need to improve their defense...they're like the Oklahoma of the NFL.

Two more weeks of Belichick/Brady worshiping, this year, there hasn't been so much drama around the team...maybe Gronkowski retiring will be the biggest offseason issue for them.

Sucks for Chiefs' fans that they lost Hunt when they did, but they gave it their all.  Eventually, with as good a QB as Mahomes has become in just his first year, they'll break through and win one of these games.   At least they exorcised the INDY demons.

1 hour ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

It's funny how much it upsets some of you people that I like 2 teams. Lmao

Upset? Not at all. Just amused to see an adult follow sports like my 8 year old nephew.

10 days ago you weren't sure if you would root for the Rams in their first playoff game, yet today was the most intense game of your fandom. You be you man.

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Upset? Not at all. Just amused to see an adult follow sports like my 8 year old nephew.

10 days ago you weren't sure if you would root for the Rams in their first playoff game, yet today was the most intense game of your fandom. You be you man.

To be fair, the in the NBA you have to have laundry+players because if you don't it becomes non-enjoyable. The NFL is approaching that territory. At some point people are going to have laundry+QB because one player is of utmost importance in both sports. 

The AFC has been represented by Brady, Roethlisberger or Peyton Manning every season from 2003-present with the lone exception of 2012, where Manning was beaten by a miracle and Joe Flacco's arm strength. If that doesn't show one how important the QB is in football, idk what does. It is approaching the point where if the QB you drafted highly hasn't won anything by year 6, you might as well move on and start over at the position. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

10 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

10 days ago the Rams and Cowboys were going to play each other. And you're making fun of me for being excited that one of my favorite teams is making the Super Bowl?

I assume you're not as stupid as you're coming off right now. I hope. Maybe as a moderator you should know better than to randomly starting picking fights?

Be less bitter.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

28 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Idgaf about the Super Bowl anymore until Brady isn't involved, I don't care whether or not he wins or loses, I don't want to watch until someone else represents the AFC. 

23 minutes ago, Steve9347 said:

Oh goodie. Another Patriots Super Bowl. 

Go Rams. 

Man, lots of hatred for success right here. Tom Brady does nothing but win for two decades, whooping the asses of people who were in diapers when he started dominating the sport, and y’all are mad? Haha.

I’ll get sick of Patriot SBs when some other team in the AFC has the awesomeness to prevent them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Sir said:

Man, lots of hatred for success right here. Tom Brady does nothing but win for two decades, whooping the asses of people who were in diapers when he started dominating the sport, and y’all are mad? Haha.

I’ll get sick of Patriot SBs when some other team in the AFC has the awesomeness to prevent them.

I like the randomness of Baseball and Hockey vs. Football and Basketball. Something is fundamentally wrong with your sport if one player can be the difference between winning multiple championships and being a bottom of the league team. You actually have to construct a team with Baseball/Hockey. With Football and Basketball it is more about dumb luck and timing. At that point it no longer becomes a team sport, it becomes an individual sport masquerading as a team sport. 

1 minute ago, StrangeSox said:

It's just boring at this point. He'll have been to 17% of all Superbowls now.

The NFL is approaching NBA territory in terms of predictability. It defeats the point of entertainment. It isn't entertaining to have the same teams involved in the championship game/series repeatedly. 

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I like the randomness of Baseball and Hockey vs. Football and Basketball. Something is fundamentally wrong with your sport if one player can be the difference between winning multiple championships and being a bottom of the league team. You actually have to construct a team with Baseball/Hockey. With Football and Basketball it is more about dumb luck and timing. At that point it no longer becomes a team sport, it becomes an individual sport masquerading as a team sport. 

These Patriot teams have constantly surrounded Brady with talent, even if he was always the central piece. It wasn’t a one man show. And can you really call a guy showing up in 17% of a sport’s championships ever (thanks, Strange!) “dumb luck”? Dude has taken domination to new heights.

3 minutes ago, The Sir said:

These Patriot teams have constantly surrounded Brady with talent, even if he was always the central piece. It wasn’t a one man show. And can you really call a guy showing up in 17% of a sport’s championships ever (thanks, Strange!) “dumb luck”? Dude has taken domination to new heights.

I disagree, there have been many teams they've played over the years with more talented skill players. Outside of 2007, they really haven't had talented receivers. How many of those guys have done anything outside of NE? Notable exception is Gronk but he's been hurt a lot. 

And you can call it dumb luck because they got that guy in the 6th round, and was the beneficiary of one of the worst blown calls in NFL playoff history. If the fumble is called correctly in 2002, you can bet your ass Bledsoe is starting for the Patriots in September of that year. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Mahomes is great but not great enough. The AFC just didn't have THAT team this year and in our post-Mannkng world there is no QB in existence that is capable of getting in the way of the Patriots machine. It came out that the Chiefs are gonna give Mahomes $200m next off-season. The Chiefs will soon find themselves in the same place the Packers have in the Rodgers era.

Not ill will to the Patriots. They have perfected their process and I love their mistake free football that focuses on things like special teams and physicality. I don't see Brady slipping at all. This could go on another five years easily, especially since nobody in the AFC can take them down.

Here’s another thought, and it kinda contradicts what I’ve already said, but I think it’s a good explanation (and I’m not much of an NFL fan at all).

In the MLB playoffs, for instance, if the Sox aren’t in it, I root for the rare teams. Down with the Dodgers, Red Sox, Yankees, and so on. Those teams are always in it, and like SS said, it’s booooooring.

It’s boring precisely because it’s not the same players doing it. Stanton could leave the Yanks, but they’re going to spend their millions to replace him. Sale could leave the BoSox, but they’ll find their ace to fill the hole, and he’ll be one of the best pitchers in baseball. The big spenders will do just that and continue to dominate.

Thats not the Patriots though. The Pats’ story is about one man’s dominance which has lasted nearly twenty straight years. That is incredible.

12 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Here’s another thought, and it kinda contradicts what I’ve already said, but I think it’s a good explanation (and I’m not much of an NFL fan at all).

In the MLB playoffs, for instance, if the Sox aren’t in it, I root for the rare teams. Down with the Dodgers, Red Sox, Yankees, and so on. Those teams are always in it, and like SS said, it’s booooooring.

It’s boring precisely because it’s not the same players doing it. Stanton could leave the Yanks, but they’re going to spend their millions to replace him. Sale could leave the BoSox, but they’ll find their ace to fill the hole, and he’ll be one of the best pitchers in baseball. The big spenders will do just that and continue to dominate.

Thats not the Patriots though. The Pats’ story is about one man’s dominance which has lasted nearly twenty straight years. That is incredible.

I don't find that incredible. I find it incredibly boring. No player in a team sport should be so important that his mere presence makes them a lock for the a championship game/series appearance. At that point, the sport ceases to be a team sport and becomes more of an individual sport with a supporting cast. The NFL is a glorified QB skills competition. The NBA is a glorified athleticism and shooting competition. It is completely ceasing to be entertaining whatsoever. I'll stick with baseball and hockey, where there is actual skill in team construction, and there is no player so important that his mere presence takes a team from the outhouse to the penthouse. 

Connor McDavid is the best player in hockey and the Oilers have only made one playoff appearance in his 3 seasons, and it looks like they'll miss again this season. 

Mike Trout might be a top ten all time player, if not top 5 and he has only participated in one postseason series in an 8 year career. That is how it should be.

Alex Ovechkin is arguably the greatest goal scorer of all time and he just won his first Stanley Cup in a 13 year career last season..  

Edited by Jack Parkman