Official 2018-19 NFL Thread

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't find that incredible. I find it incredibly boring. No player in a team sport should be so important that his mere presence makes them a lock for the a championship game/series appearance. At that point, the sport ceases to be a team sport and becomes more of an individual sport with a supporting cast. The NFL is a glorified QB skills competition. The NBA is a glorified athleticism and shooting competition. It is completely ceasing to be entertaining whatsoever. I'll stick with baseball and hockey, where there is actual skill in team construction, and there is no player so important that his mere presence takes a team from the outhouse to the penthouse. 

Connor McDavid is the best player in hockey and the Oilers have only made one playoff appearance in his 3 seasons, and it looks like they'll miss again this season. 

Mike Trout might be a top ten all time player, if not top 5 and he has only participated in one postseason series in an 8 year career. That is how it should be.

Alex Ovechkin is arguably the greatest goal scorer of all time and he just won his first Stanley Cup in a 13 year career last season..  

The better QB lost both games this week.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't find that incredible. I find it incredibly boring. No player in a team sport should be so important that his mere presence makes them a lock for the a championship game/series appearance. At that point, the sport ceases to be a team sport and becomes more of an individual sport with a supporting cast. The NFL is a glorified QB skills competition. The NBA is a glorified athleticism and shooting competition. It is completely ceasing to be entertaining whatsoever. I'll stick with baseball and hockey, where there is actual skill in team construction, and there is no player so important that his mere presence takes a team from the outhouse to the penthouse. 

Connor McDavid is the best player in hockey and the Oilers have only made one playoff appearance in his 3 seasons, and it looks like they'll miss again this season. 

Mike Trout might be a top ten all time player, if not top 5 and he has only participated in one postseason series in an 8 year career. That is how it should be.

Alex Ovechkin is arguably the greatest goal scorer of all time and he just won his first Stanley Cup in a 13 year career last season..  

So great players should languish on mediocre teams? (Don’t follow hockey, so I’m focusing solely on the baseball example.)

I disagree with that. If you dislike how the entire sport of football is set up, I can’t help you there, but if you can get past that, Tom Brady has consistently led his team to dominance his entire career. It is incredible.

1 minute ago, The Sir said:

So great players should languish on mediocre teams? (Don’t follow hockey, so I’m focusing solely on the baseball example.)

I disagree with that. If you dislike how the entire sport of football is set up, I can’t help you there, but if you can get past that, Tom Brady has consistently led his team to dominance his entire career. It is incredible.

I don't agree that great players should languish, but there should be the possibility that their career is completely negated by poor team construction. It should take more than dumb luck to win in a sport. In the NFL and NBA it is more about luck than skill in team construction. Being bad in the correct season in football or having the lotto balls bounce your way in the correct year and winning multiple championships because of it is no way to enjoy sports. This is the Bulls excuse for not firing GarPax btw. There really can't be any accountability if you're just unlucky. 

You can actually hold front offices accountable in MLB and the NHL. You can't really do so in the NFL and NBA because winning is almost entirely about drafting in the right place at the right time. 

2 minutes ago, Boogua said:

Mahomes is more physically talented and had a better year. Great young QB. I would bet anything that the chiefs win that game with brady at qb though.

I dont think so. Brady was executing a masterful gameplan. Everything the Patriots did on both sides of the ball was done with such purpose. Belichick made one bad call, going for it on fourth down (Mahomes got in his head), but other than that it was perfect. Brady is great. Probably the greatest. But he's not as good as he used to be yet somehow the Patriots are better than ever. Its Belichick.

The Chiefs on the other hand had no gameplan. A few gimmicky (three!!! on one play) fake jet sweeps and some runningback wheel routes but other than that they just told Mahomes to go back there and ball. You switch the QB's and the Patriots would've won by seventy.

The NFL falls for bad ideas all the time. Now its en vogue to jUsT bE aGgReSsIvE, bRo. The groupthink that permeates the other thirty-one coaching staffs in this league is what has led to the Patriots run of dominance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't agree that great players should languish, but there should be the possibility that their career is completely negated by poor team construction. It should take more than dumb luck to win in a sport. In the NFL and NBA it is more about luck than skill in team construction. Being bad in the correct season in football or having the lotto balls bounce your way in the correct year and winning multiple championships because of it is no way to enjoy sports. This is the Bulls excuse for not firing GarPax btw. There really can't be any accountability if you're just unlucky. 

You can actually hold front offices accountable in MLB and the NHL. You can't really do so in the NFL and NBA because winning is almost entirely about drafting in the right place at the right time. 

The Patriots roster is masterfully crafted from top-to-bottom. Guys like Shaq Mason, Matthew Slater, J.C. Jackson, James Devlin...they build their team with such a purpose and vision its honestly like they are playing a different game than everyone else.

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Again, you’re talking about dumb luck as a rebuttal to me talking about one guy leading his team to the Super Bowl half the years of his career. That isn’t dumb luck. He’s been the best, hard stop.

No idea who GarPax is.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Again, you’re talking about dumb luck as a rebuttal to me talking about one guy leading his team to the Super Bowl half the years of his career. That isn’t dumb luck. He’s been the best, hard stop.

No idea who GarPax is.

Yeah, but how did NE acquire him? Answer: Dumb luck. He almost didn't make the team out of camp his rookie year, if you haven't heard the story by now. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

7 minutes ago, KiwiSox said:

I dont think so. Brady was executing a masterful gameplan. Everything the Patriots did on both sides of the ball was done with such purpose. Belichick made one bad call, going for it on fourth down (Mahomes got in his head), but other than that it was perfect. Brady is great. Probably the greatest. But he's not as good as he used to be yet somehow the Patriots are better than ever. Its Belichick.

The Chiefs on the other hand had no gameplan. A few gimmicky (three!!! on one play) fake jet sweeps and some runningback wheel routes but other than that they just told Mahomes to go back there and ball. You switch the QB's and the Patriots would've won by seventy.

The NFL falls for bad ideas all the time. Now its en vogue to jUsT bE aGgReSsIvE, bRo. The groupthink that permeates the other thirty-one coaching staffs in this league is what has led to the Patriots run of dominance.

The game plan worked in the first half. Ball control and keep KC off the field. When that failed in the second half Brady just completely took over and made throw after throw.

The guy had two white WRs and a HOF TE that is a glorified OL now. If you give him guys like Watkins and Hill I can't imagine what he could do.

19 minutes ago, The Sir said:

I'm getting to the point where I don't want to waste time following sports where one player means so much to a team. Look at what Luck meant to the Colts, and he's slightly above average. Again, I don't think it is an actual team sport at that point. It is a glorified skills competition. 

6 minutes ago, Boogua said:

The game plan worked in the first half. Ball control and keep KC off the field. When that failed in the second half Brady just completely took over and made throw after throw.

The guy had two white WRs and a HOF TE that is a glorified OL now. If you give him guys like Watkins and Hill I can't imagine what he could do.

Glad we could bring race into it.

Edited by KiwiSox

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

And? This seriously makes it even more impressive. Dude has worked hard to be this good for so long.

How can you actually hold coaches and front offices accountable if one position is so important to a team, and the ability to acquire such a player is based on luck ? It is a joke. It is like your boss firing you because you didn't win a 32 person raffle. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

How can you actually hold coaches and front offices accountable if one position is so important to a team, and the ability to acquire such a player is based on luck ? It is a joke. It is like your boss firing you because you didn't win a 32 person raffle. 

Like I said, the best quarterbacks in both games lost. Rodgers has been better than Brady for a decade but the Packers haven't won anything in nine years. The likes of zombie-Peyton Manning and Joe Flacco have won titles while Philip Rivers hasn't even come close. There is just way more to it than quarterback.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Boogua said:

Impressive, isn't it? These guys aren't exactly deep threats.

Hogan is twenty-sixth and Gronkowski twenty-third in yards per catch this past year. That is not terrible.

For reference Josh Gordon was second but, well, that didn't work out long-term did it.

• Love 1

30 minutes ago, Boogua said:

Uh-oh.

20 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

And? This seriously makes it even more impressive. Dude has worked hard to be this good for so long.

Yeah, I think this makes it even better. Dude was a nobody who became the GOAT. Awesome.

And if this was dumb luck, look at all the other cases of dumb luck. Wally Pipp giving way to Lou Gehrig, our boys drafting Mark Buehrle in the 39th round or whatever, etc. It might have been dumb luck in 2001, but that ended when he did this again and again and again for two decades.

5 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Yeah, I think this makes it even better. Dude was a nobody who became the GOAT. Awesome.

And if this was dumb luck, look at all the other cases of dumb luck. Wally Pipp giving way to Lou Gehrig, our boys drafting Mark Buehrle in the 39th round or whatever, etc. It might have been dumb luck in 2001, but that ended when he did this again and again and again for two decades.

Yep, if we didn't "luck" into getting Contreras for Loiaza (who we lucked into getting a near Cy Young performance out of in 2003 off the scrap heap, which almost never happens anymore)....then probably no World Series.  Or the Graffanino error, or the AJ/Josh Paul incident, etc.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The Beast said:

Here’s my takes from my text message rants. Apologies in advance.

10 conference championships since 2000. 5 (maybe 6) Super Bowl wins since then. Tom Brady is the QB for all of them and is 41 years old. Robert Kraft and Bill Belichick are old, rich and cocky. I love the underdog with a passion and hope like hell the Patriots lose. I’m so sick of either the old, white, rich and powerful (Kraft) or the same tools (Brady and Belichick) succeeding in a league that is just a game but is where everyone's focus is at for 5 months of the year. Go Rams, screw Brady, and screw his orange buddy in the White House!

He's an old for the NFL baby looking man that needs to be put on his backside and into an ice filled bathtub by halftime. 

It’s time for a new era in the nfl. It's coming.

You managed to bring race AND politics into this. Impressive.

• Haha 2

Chiefs fans are upset at Ford for lining up in the neutral zone on an interception that would have put Chiefs in Super Bowl.

Mad at defensive coordinator for everything.

Mad at NFL's ridiculous overtime rules. Everybody knew when NE won the coin flip the game was over.