Official 2018-19 NFL Thread

2 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Given where I’m at financially (nowhere near rich) and where I stand politically (left leaning Independent), it felt appropriate.

Its really not appropriate and says a lot about your character that you cant separate the two. Been a lot of that in this thread the last two pages. I personally dont like it, but whatever you do you.

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

Chiefs fans are upset at Ford for lining up in the neutral zone on an interception that would have put Chiefs in Super Bowl.

Mad at defensive coordinator for everything.

Mad at NFL's ridiculous overtime rules. Everybody knew when NE won the coin flip the game was over.

What's really crazy is that everyone knew New England would win the coinflip!

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Yep, if we didn't "luck" into getting Contreras for Loiaza (who we lucked into getting a near Cy Young performance out of in 2003 off the scrap heap, which almost never happens anymore)....then probably no World Series.  Or the Graffanino error, or the AJ/Josh Paul incident, etc.

Yeah, dumb luck is all over the place. Like some talentless doofus winning the lottery on one hand, while the third founder of Apple sold his stock back to Jobs and Wozniak for a thousand or two and spent his old age living in a trailer. No joke- I met my wife in a chat room. She was creeped out by practically everybody else and was about to log off. If I had gone to take a shit, boom, my life of the last seven years simply never happens. But nope, I was there because of dumb luck.

At some point, it’s not dumb luck any more. Life is full of weird coincidences and things that seem fateful, like me and my wife, but we work hard to make this a success. Tom Brady works hard to be the greatest dude to ever throw a football. Might be dumb luck that he got in the door, but it’s not dumb luck that he’s won everything five times in eighteen.

5 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Given where I’m at financially (nowhere near rich) and where I stand politically (left leaning Independent), it felt appropriate.

Raging at the wealth and skin color of Robert Kraft isn’t going to change the first part for you. On the second part, we disagree, but that’s OK.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, KiwiSox said:

Its really not appropriate and says a lot about your character that you cant separate the two. Been a lot of that in this thread the last two pages. I personally dont like it, but whatever you do you.

Thanks for the judgment. There’s more to be said on the relationship between the president and the men I mentioned but it doesn’t matter. And the bit on old rich white men? Well, we have lots of those who haven’t wanted or been able to work together for some time. Figure it out. My texts were more of a joke about how ridiculous the Patriots are in the NFL than anything.

Edited by The Beast

Just now, The Beast said:

Thanks for the judgment. There’s more to be said on the relationship between the president and the men I mentioned but it doesn’t matter. And the bit on old rich white men? Well, we have lots of those who haven’t wanted or been able to work together for some time. Figure it out. My texts were more of a joke than anything.

I know there's a new-age definition of racism that exists to kind of insulate the type of "white people are bad" talk that a lot of people like to engage in as a low form of humour, but that doesn't mean it is not bigoted. Same goes for the comment about white wide receivers earlier. Makes you look bitter.

I'm dropping this now and will not revisit it under any circumstances, but I hope you take what I've written here seriously and consider that the bigotry you hold in your heart makes you part of the problem and not the solution. All the best.

• Thanks 1

It's interesting that the final score of the NE/KC changes the narrative so drastically for everyone.

With a 90 seconds left in the game, NE was down 28-24. Tom Brady threw his 3rd interception of the game. NE loses. Is Brady done? Why didn't Bellichik (fill in the blank)? Is the dynasty over? Gronk looks terrible....

Nobody would have questioned KC's game plan. Andy Reid would be returning to the Big Game. Mahomes is the future. KC overcame the loss of Hunt.

But a guy lined up in the neutral zone (how does that happen?) and NE scores the go ahead. KC comes back and moves right down the field . They were a few seconds away from being able to take a shot at a TD for the win, but they had to settle for the FG and tie.

Coin flip win by NE and the result was as predictable as a double doink. Of course, it's possible Brady throws another bad pick or KC finally gets to him for a strip sack. Maybe the refs don't call a phantom roughing the passer and the first down that comes with it is instead a third and long. Then we'd be back to paragraph two and three above.

Total respect for Brady and the Pats, but I'm tired of them. I would much rather have seen a KC/LA game.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

12 minutes ago, Middle Buffalo said:

It's interesting that the final score of the NE/KC changes the narrative so drastically for everyone.

With a 90 seconds left in the game, NE was down 28-24. Tom Brady threw his 3rd interception of the game. NE loses. Is Brady done? Why didn't Bellichik (fill in the blank)? Is the dynasty over? Gronk looks terrible....

Nobody would have questioned KC's game plan. Andy Reid would be returning to the Big Game. Mahomes is the future. KC overcame the loss of Hunt.

But a guy lined up in the neutral zone (how does that happen?) and NE scores the go ahead. KC comes back and moves right down the field . They were a few seconds away from being able to take a shot at a TD for the win, but they had to settle for the FG and tie.

Coin flip win by NE and the result was as predictable as a double doink. Of course, it's possible Brady throws another bad pick or KC finally gets to him for a strip sack. Maybe the refs don't call a phantom roughing the passer and the first down that comes with it is instead a third and long. Then we'd be back to paragraph two and three above.

Total respect for Brady and the Pats, but I'm tired of them. I would much rather have seen a KC/LA game.

Maybe I was too drunk when I was watching, but from what I remember that interception Brady threw when Ford was in the neutral zone it hit off of Gronks hands. Not exactly his fault.

7 hours ago, The Beast said:

Why? Discuss.

His enthusiasm for everything is fantastic and comes out very naturally. Hes calling every play before it ever happens. Dont think I've seen a color guy as knowledgeable as him. The internet has exploded since he appears to be a wizard. Here's some articles on him last night. Lots of  people thinking he needs to become a coach. I hope not; I want him in the booth.

https://dailycaller.com/2019/01/21/tony-romo-commentating-afc-championship-reactions-twitter/

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/tony-romo-widely-praised-for-commentary-during-afc-title-game

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2019/01/21/tony-romo-was-biggest-star-of-the-afc-championship-game

10 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

10 days ago the Rams and Cowboys were going to play each other. And you're making fun of me for being excited that one of my favorite teams is making the Super Bowl?

I assume you're not as stupid as you're coming off right now. I hope. Maybe as a moderator you should know better than to randomly starting picking fights?

Be less bitter.

Sorry that sports are so serious to you that you can't find the humor in all of this. 

Don't worry, 300 million Americans are hopping on the Rams bandwagon the next two weeks so clear off some room.

1 minute ago, StrangeSox said:

Still in awe of that blown DPI in the Saints game.

It was so bad that I think it might actually result in a change of rules.  Like the Jerry Rice fumble in the playoffs that created instant replay.

I don't know if they can make every play reviewable, the games could be like 6 hours long, but maybe they could have some in the booth that can check a replay quick and alert the official if they missed something.

2 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

It was so bad that I think it might actually result in a change of rules.  Like the Jerry Rice fumble in the playoffs that created instant replay.

I don't know if they can make every play reviewable, the games could be like 6 hours long, but maybe they could have some in the booth that can check a replay quick and alert the official if they missed something.

how is it possible to "miss" this though??

merlin_149508444_f3f04d22-7ac4-4423-b234

7 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Still in awe of that blown DPI in the Saints game.

I am thoroughly enjoying the honestness of the Rams regarding the play.  Robey-Coleman just said "Hell yeah that was PI" after watching the replay.  And the IG post from Gurley.  https://www.instagram.com/tg4hunnid/p/Bs4I6bogzDf/

1 hour ago, GoSox05 said:

Well you can keep the same number of challenges, 2-3, but make PI a reviewable call, under the same rules - it must be clear and obvious or whatever the language was. Technically you could do it for a few other penalties too (Personal fouls, maybe even holding), but if the coach is limited to just a couple challenges then you're not going to pile up the reviews all that much. In fact you might even get fewer as if I were a coach in a close game I would do everything humanly possible to make sure that, if there was a clearly wrong call with 3:00 remaining in the game, I could get it overturned.