Official 2018-19 NFL Thread

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Well you can keep the same number of challenges, 2-3, but make PI a reviewable call, under the same rules - it must be clear and obvious or whatever the language was. Technically you could do it for a few other penalties too (Personal fouls, maybe even holding), but if the coach is limited to just a couple challenges then you're not going to pile up the reviews all that much. In fact you might even get fewer as if I were a coach in a close game I would do everything humanly possible to make sure that, if there was a clearly wrong call with 3:00 remaining in the game, I could get it overturned. 

That might be the best way to go about it.  If they do that they should give coaches at least one more challenge flag.  The rules should make it clear that it has to be obvious DPI like we saw yesterday.

Peter King of Football Morning in America wonders aloud whether the blunder will bring down senior V.P. of officiating Al Riveron.

“As soon as this call got made, I heard from a couple of acquaintances/sources about the impact of it,” King writes. “‘Al Riveron is gone,’ one said. ‘He can’t survive this.’ Another said the league will have to pay big to bring back Dean Blandino or Mike Pereira (less likely). I think Riveron was on thin ice before Sunday. What the NFL should do, if it decides to dump Riveron, is pay realistic money to get Blandino back from his cushy gig at FOX. He’s a trusted and trustworthy guy.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/21/will-rams-saints-debacle-bring-down-al-riveron/

7 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

That might be the best way to go about it.  If they do that they should give coaches at least one more challenge flag.  The rules should make it clear that it has to be obvious DPI like we saw yesterday.

Don’t know if this has been mentioned, but the CFL allows you to challenge PI calls

2 hours ago, fathom said:

Don’t know if this has been mentioned, but the CFL allows you to challenge PI calls

I think they have been doing it for a while. 

The NFL could base the system off that and mess around with it in preseason. 

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't know the general consensus of Tony Romo, but he was on fire yesterday. Probably the most impressive performance by a color commentator I have ever heard for an NFL game. He was calling plays like Doug Collins used to do in his prime NBA commenting ysars.

He is great.  I think he is doing the Super Bowl, so that should be awesome. 

Breaking down plays and telling us what might happen and he is having a good time doing it.  It was like night and day between Aikman and Buck, who I like and think are a good pair, but Romo just gets so into it. 

They better not introduce replay for penalties. Just rewrite the pass inference rules to something that makes sense. The spirit of the rule has been lost, that's why it's become so controversial.

Pass inference exists so defenders don't tackle WR while the ball is in the air. It is not meant to be a get-out-of-jail-free card for offenses. If they want to legislate contact and hand fighting make it separate foul, akin the defensive holding, and leave the spot foul for plays where receivers are running unabated and just wind up being dragged to the ground.

Lost in all this controversy is the fact that pass probably would not have been completed anyways. It was designed to draw a penalty. Is that the kind of football we want?

1 minute ago, GoSox05 said:

He is great.  I think he is doing the Super Bowl, so that should be awesome. 

Breaking down plays and telling us what might happen and he is having a good time doing it.  It was like night and day between Aikman and Buck, who I like and think are a good pair, but Romo just gets so into it. 

NZ and Australia get Boog, Tess and Wit. Kill me.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KiwiSox said:

They better not introduce replay for penalties. Just rewrite the pass inference rules to something that makes sense. The spirit of the rule has been lost, that's why it's become so controversial.

Pass inference exists so defenders don't tackle WR while the ball is in the air. It is not meant to be a get-out-of-jail-free card for offenses. If they want to legislate contact and hand fighting make it separate foul, akin the defensive holding, and leave the spot foul for plays where receivers are running unabated and just wind up being dragged to the ground.

Lost in all this controversy is the fact that pass probably would not have been completed anyways. It was designed to draw a penalty. Is that the kind of football we want?

merlin_149508444_f3f04d22-7ac4-4423-b234

The defender literally tackled the WR right in front of the ref. It was a failure of officiating, not a failure of rules not being clear enough.

Edited by StrangeSox

4 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

merlin_149508444_f3f04d22-7ac4-4423-b234

The defender literally tackled the WR right in front of the ref. It was a failure of officiating, not a failure of rules not being clear enough.

This is not the first problem we've had with pass interference and it's very clear there is a systemic problem here. I think it's a more existential threat to the health of the sport than player misconduct or concussions. It's really killing the between-the-lines product.

Also that's not really a TACKLE and anyone's who has played will tell you a tackle is wrapping up and bringing to the ground. More of a body check that knocked Lewis completely off balance. There are WR in this league who wouldn't be so easily displaced.

Still probably a penalty, but the Saints lost that game.

8 minutes ago, KiwiSox said:

This is not the first problem we've had with pass interference and it's very clear there is a systemic problem here. I think it's a more existential threat to the health of the sport than player misconduct or concussions. It's really killing the between-the-lines product.

Also that's not really a TACKLE and anyone's who has played will tell you a tackle is wrapping up and bringing to the ground. More of a body check that knocked Lewis completely off balance. There are WR in this league who wouldn't be so easily displaced.

Plenty of tackles fall short of "wrapping up and bringing to the ground," and it was in effect a tackle. If you think that play should be legal, then I guess we just don't want to see the same game. That wasn't an edge case or a "process of the catch" -type situation where there's no real way to understand the NFL's intention.

30 minutes ago, KiwiSox said:

There should be a major pass interference and a minor.

I think that pass was going to be caught, the WR was turned and going to make a play for the ball and the CB from the Rams pretty much tackled him before he could. 

1 hour ago, KiwiSox said:

Are you really telling us that a hit that knocks a guy to the ground shouldn't count as a tackle? The receiver has the ball, you hit him with your shoulder pads, he goes to the ground, he should be able to get up and continue the play?

On 1/21/2019 at 1:36 PM, Chisoxfn said:

It was an egregious blown call, but its going to happen in football. I don't support a drastic shift in massively increasing the roles and/or shifting the rules.  It happens and it was unfortunate but move on.  

It was horrible, but if he actually turned around and played the ball, it was probably a pick six.

31 minutes ago, Chi Town Sox said:

Let's all be honest and say if it was your team, none of you would be "moving on".  This is a big time missed call and is the reason the Saints and Brees probably never see a Super Bowl again/for a long time.

You mean if Hue Hollins called a foul on Scottie Pippen even though he didnt even touch Hubert Davis and that ruined the Bulls chance at a 4 peat? Are you saying I would still complain about that absolutely  ridiculously horrendous call 25 years later?

11 hours ago, Chi Town Sox said:

Let's all be honest and say if it was your team, none of you would be "moving on".  This is a big time missed call and is the reason the Saints and Brees probably never see a Super Bowl again/for a long time.

Unless Brees play really falls off they should be a pretty good team again next year.

13 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

Unless Brees play really falls off they should be a pretty good team again next year.

Brees is probably my favorite QB of all time.  Overall, his year was great but his play fell off quite a bit starting in November.  They averaged like 19ppg over the last 1.5-2 months of this year.  They have one pick in the first 4 rounds of the draft (2nd rounder), Ingram is a FA, a pretty difficult road schedule (Bears, Rams, Seahawks), Brees is another year older. 

Of course they will be pretty good but It's going to be tough sledding for them to get as far as they did with the play they showed the past 2 months. 

Edited by Chi Town Sox

38 minutes ago, Chi Town Sox said:

Brees is probably my favorite QB of all time.  Overall, his year was great but his play fell off quite a bit starting in November.  They averaged like 19ppg over the last 1.5-2 months of this year.  They have one pick in the first 4 rounds of the draft (2nd rounder), Ingram is a FA, a pretty difficult road schedule (Bears, Rams, Seahawks), Brees is another year older. 

Of course they will be pretty good but It's going to be tough sledding for them to get as far as they did with the play they showed the past 2 months. 

I feel like it was the case almost everywhere that the defenses all of a sudden reasserted themselves starting in November.