Official 2018-19 NFL Thread

46 minutes ago, Tony said:

You REALLY need to win while your QB is still on his rookie deal...

Someone was on a sports talk show a few weeks ago and said the NFL is looking at ways to correct this. One of them was to remove the QB salary from the salary cap calculation. It was an interesting discussion. 

18 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Chucky, losing power already? Why would Mayock agree to this unless they told him he gets to run the draft and not worry about anything alse.

No, I think this is a guy who is fully aware that he will be Grudens draft guy and that the man with the long contract is Jon Gruden.   Probably felt it was worth it to cede power in order to have his first shot at GM

Guessing with so many openings Fangio is good as gone. Helfrich may be kicked around too. Who are even the obvious candidates?

McCarthy will get a second run. Arians maybe comes back. Guessing Carmichael finally gets a shot.

Just now, bmags said:

Guessing with so many openings Fangio is good as gone. Helfrich may be kicked around too. Who are even the obvious candidates?

McCarthy will get a second run. Arians maybe comes back. Guessing Carmichael finally gets a shot.

I don't think Fangio leaves- age, phase he coaches, already high salary- and I'd wager a lot of money on Helfrich also staying.

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

I don't think Fangio leaves- age, phase he coaches, already high salary- and I'd wager a lot of money on Helfrich also staying.

There are 8 openings, maybe more. There aren’t enough offensive assistants to go around and now the success of previous older, “not HC material” coaches like Reich succeeding means someone will take a chance.

NFL teams are worse at hiring coaches than they are at even drafting.

56 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Someone was on a sports talk show a few weeks ago and said the NFL is looking at ways to correct this. One of them was to remove the QB salary from the salary cap calculation. It was an interesting discussion. 

I think there just needs to be a natural market correction made by front offices. If a few of these young guys won a title following Nick Foles, maybe some teams will stop paying QBs so much.

Just because a guy like Matt Stafford is able to throw for 4000 yards a season, it doesn't mean you have to keep him. Teams just get so scared to not have a QB, they aren't willing to take any chances.

35 minutes ago, bmags said:

There are 8 openings, maybe more. There aren’t enough offensive assistants to go around and now the success of previous older, “not HC material” coaches like Reich succeeding means someone will take a chance.

NFL teams are worse at hiring coaches than they are at even drafting.

It's all of those things I mentioned combined. He clearly doesn't interview well because he's been through that process 2-3 times, I'd bet. He's older. He makes a ton of money now anyway. He clearly loves Chicago. The following are all better options:

Eberflus, McCarthy, Gase, Caldwell, McDaniels, Pagano, Steichen, Sirianni, Bieniemy, Flores, Lafleur, Taylor, Richard, maybe Harbaugh, maybe Riley, maybe Fitzgerald, maybe Rhule, maybe Shaw.

There are plenty of options. I'm not going to get into Helfrich because I highly doubt he gets a HC job.

On 12/30/2018 at 4:50 PM, bmags said:

That was one hell of a season. Thank you Bears.

Right . They had the 1st game won against the Pack but Nagy 1st game, Mack's 1st game  and Trubisky's 1st game under Nagy. Then lost  what 2 games without either Mack and Trubisky? So they lost what ,1 game with Trubisky and Mack in the lineup  except for 1st game of the season ?

I was watching some NFL show on Roku and 3 of 4 analyst picked the Vikings over Bears and 2 were former players. If it wasn't for Parkey I'd think the Bears are a legit Superbowl contender.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
corrected a sentence so it actually made sense.

5 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Right . They had the 1st game won against the Pack but Nagy 1st game, Mack's 1st game  and Trubisky's 1st game under Nagy. Then lost  what 2 games without either Mack and Trubisky? So they lost what ,1 game with Trubisky and Mack in the lineup outside the except for 1st game of the season ?

I was watching some NFL show on Roku and 3 of 4 analyst picked the Vikings over Bears and 2 were former players. If it wasn't for Parkey I'd think the Bears are a legit Superbowl contender.

Longingly looks at San Francisco. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Quinarvy said:

Longingly looks at San Francisco. 

I have a home made DVD of the 1985 Superbowl that I hadn't watched in a long time. It opened with the Superbowl Shuffle. So many memories, great memories. Then the game was such a blowout. Surprised it was wide screen but it was and once I got used to it not being in HD it looked and sounded pretty good. The current fast young defense reminds me so much of that 85 team. Ditka was also a coach who used his personnel like Nagy .Remember the Fridge scoring a TD and blocking in 85?

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I have a home made DVD of the 1985 Superbowl that I hadn't watched in a long time. It opened with the Superbowl Shuffle. So many memories, great memories. Then the game was such a blowout. Surprised it was wide screen but it was and once I got used to it not being in HD it looked and sounded pretty good. The current fast young defense reminds me so much of that 85 team. Ditka was also a coach who used his personnel like Fangio .Remember the Fridge scoring a TD and blocking in 85?

...it was a joke about Robbie Gould?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Quinarvy said:

...it was a joke about Robbie Gould?

Yea I know but since you responded to me I just wanted to post what I posted and just quoted you for convenience. Kevin Butler was a pretty good kicker back in the day. Gould has had a pretty good year with the 49'ers 33 0f 34 thats amazing. Wonder what his longest has been this year. I see 2 of 2 from 50+ and 9 of 10 from 40-49 yds. I made up for it by giving you a haha.

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I have a home made DVD of the 1985 Superbowl that I hadn't watched in a long time. It opened with the Superbowl Shuffle. So many memories, great memories. Then the game was such a blowout. Surprised it was wide screen but it was and once I got used to it not being in HD it looked and sounded pretty good. The current fast young defense reminds me so much of that 85 team. Ditka was also a coach who used his personnel like Nagy .Remember the Fridge scoring a TD and blocking in 85?

I was 3 years old during that Super Bowl and for years I watched that game in its entirety multiple times a week.

My VHS copy opened with the Super Bowl Shuffle and a jukebox edition of their season in review played to various popular music songs, which was amazing. I need to go find it on YouTube right now.