Jump to content
LittleHurt05

Official 2018-19 NFL Thread

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

Well said.  Here's the thing about Trubisky: He's realistically as good or better than DeShaun Watson.  Yet Watson is a media darling.  Trubisky isn't.  I can't explain it, personally.

QFT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, thxfrthmmrs said:

If we’re a passing team, I don’t trust Robinson as a number 1 receiver. He didn’t show he was one consistently this season. We need a true big weapon for Mitch if that’s our identity.

Good thing Anthony Miller had an awesome season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AustinIllini said:

This is actually pretty crazy, because QBR is a rounded QB stat.

IEHpI6q.png

The reason for this being that QBR weights its plays based on the situation, so if Trubisky gets a 5 yard pass on 3rd and 5, he gets a lot of credit for that, whereas traditional stats (like y/a which factors into QB rating) would "punish" him for not getting more yards on the throw.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a Rams fan, here's what I see:

 

Nagy won't or doesn't know how to adjust his play calling. He pretty much scripts the whole gameplan. The Eagles looked ready for anything the Bears were doing offensively. So what does Nagy do? Keep forcing it. There are more than a few times in which Nagy should've ran it up the gut with Howard, and simply wouldn't. That's been him all season long though. Waddle from W&S has been saying it all season. If they're playing the pass, you gotta be willing to run the ball to open the pass up. Nagy hasn't shown he will do that. I'm almost sure that Nagy will still call for a throw, even if there were 0 men in the box. Horizontal/Screen passes do not substitute for run plays. 

 

Nagy has a horrible knack for game clock management. God awful. Calls a timeout with the clock already stopped on the Eagles last drive. If Cohen doesn't have a big return, or Mitch doesn't make a laser throw to Robinson, that would've definitely came into play.

 

Mitch is way too inconsistent. I believe Chicago has the offensive pieces around him, but he absolutely has to be better and more consistent. Maybe the off-season will help him make the next big step. He desperately needs it if the Bears plan on being a real contender.

 

Parkey will get the blame for one moment, but to me, Trubs and Nagy deserve the blame for the offensive side of the game. They were not going to win next week doing what they did this week. Mitch over threw Robinson a ton, even on completions and underthrew others. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, lostfan said:

The reason for this being that QBR weights its plays based on the situation, so if Trubisky gets a 5 yard pass on 3rd and 5, he gets a lot of credit for that, whereas traditional stats (like y/a which factors into QB rating) would "punish" him for not getting more yards on the throw.

That's freaking amazing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

Nagy coached like he had a team with a top defense going up against a team with a back up.

Its a fine strategy overall, but at some point it was apparent that the Bears defense wasnt going to completely shut them down and they needed to turn up the offense.

I personally thought the defensive play calling wasnt that great. Foles was floating deep balls and it seemed like the Bears were content being in zone and giving up short routes.

Yes...I though at one point they would make Foles pay for those floated balls but they didn’t. Feel like Jackson gets one of those but who knows? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nitetrain8601 said:

As a Rams fan, here's what I see:

 

Nagy won't or doesn't know how to adjust his play calling. He pretty much scripts the whole gameplan. The Eagles looked ready for anything the Bears were doing offensively. So what does Nagy do? Keep forcing it. There are more than a few times in which Nagy should've ran it up the gut with Howard, and simply wouldn't. That's been him all season long though. Waddle from W&S has been saying it all season. If they're playing the pass, you gotta be willing to run the ball to open the pass up. Nagy hasn't shown he will do that. I'm almost sure that Nagy will still call for a throw, even if there were 0 men in the box. Horizontal/Screen passes do not substitute for run plays. 

 

Nagy has a horrible knack for game clock management. God awful. Calls a timeout with the clock already stopped on the Eagles last drive. If Cohen doesn't have a big return, or Mitch doesn't make a laser throw to Robinson, that would've definitely came into play.

 

Mitch is way too inconsistent. I believe Chicago has the offensive pieces around him, but he absolutely has to be better and more consistent. Maybe the off-season will help him make the next big step. He desperately needs it if the Bears plan on being a real contender.

 

Parkey will get the blame for one moment, but to me, Trubs and Nagy deserve the blame for the offensive side of the game. They were not going to win next week doing what they did this week. Mitch over threw Robinson a ton, even on completions and underthrew others. 

The local media has a word for most of these takes.  It starts with "Out of town" and I'll let you finish it with what you think is appropriate.  Most of these takes are narrative based and not based in reality.

Edited by AustinIllini

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

If we’re a passing team, I don’t trust Robinson as a number 1 receiver. He didn’t show he was one consistently this season. We need a true big weapon for Mitch if that’s our identity.

Throw out Robinson's games before his 2 missed games from the groin injury. He was coming off an ACL and a nagging groin. He was absolutely explosive the 2nd half of the season and tonight as well. Robinson is a good #1. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nagy doesn't adjust his play calling? I don't think that's true at all. I think he did a great job despite the incessant b****ing ("run more with Howard" when he's been dropped for 2 yard losses 4 times, "stop getting cute" but  only when the cute plays don't work, etc.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Yes...I though at one point they would make Foles pay for those floated balls but they didn’t. Feel like Jackson gets one of those but who knows? 

Jackson being out was huge. Just no way to replace a safety like that because they cover up so many other mistakes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Soxbadger said:

Jackson being out was huge. Just no way to replace a safety like that because they cover up so many other mistakes.

There's no question he's the second most valuable player on that defense.  His impact on the field is enormous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Throw out Robinson's games before his 2 missed games from the groin injury. He was coming off an ACL and a nagging groin. He was absolutely explosive the 2nd half of the season and tonight as well. Robinson is a good #1. 

Robinson isn’t an elite 1, but he’s a good to solid number one and with the bears running an attack that spreads the ball around that should work. They need their other wideouts to be more dynamic. Gabriel had like three good games but otherwise was pedestrian. They’ll need Miller to take a step forward and hopefully Wims can too. Means Cohen and Gabriel can be the gadget speed guys. 

 

Burton is solid and who knows with Shaheen. He’s big and can block and I’ll say he can catch. Not sure if he can get open enough but hopefully. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

Well said.  Here's the thing about Trubisky: He's realistically as good or better than DeShaun Watson.  Yet Watson is a media darling.  Trubisky isn't.  I can't explain it, personally.

I disagree. Watson runs for his life Everytime the Texans are on offense. They had no line. He pretty much had to get used to running on every snap after week 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Eagles secondary is said to be weak but you don't play the games on paper. They were actually doing a pretty good job preventing big plays in the first half, although the verticals were there to be had and Trubisky didn't start attacking them until later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nitetrain8601 said:

I disagree. Watson runs for his life Everytime the Texans are on offense. They had no line. He pretty much had to get used to running on every snap after week 3

He's statistically not a better player than Trubisky.  Nothing really to disagree with.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lostfan said:

The Eagles secondary is said to be weak but you don't play the games on paper. They were actually doing a pretty good job preventing big plays in the first half, although the verticals were there to be had and Trubisky didn't start attacking them until later.

Right.  Teams play to the stat sheet long term, but any one game is such a big deal.  Part of the reason why the NFL playoffs are so difficult.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, lostfan said:

The Eagles secondary is said to be weak but you don't play the games on paper. They were actually doing a pretty good job preventing big plays in the first half, although the verticals were there to be had and Trubisky didn't start attacking them until later.

They made a lot of one on one plays. Sure tackling etc. Later in the game they got beat a bit more, but they played well. Would have been interesting to see if they could have exploited the down field ball earlier though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But the way, I usually ignore the media narrative but didn’t collinsworth give Mitch a ton of credit. Literally the big knock Chris has had was related to how Mitch struggles of his early reads aren’t there. I think that is why I’m confident because I’ve seen Mitch grow and when he’s in rhythm he’s damn good and with more experience and more comfort wii Nagy we will see Mitch more in rhythm!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

The local media has a word for most of these takes.  It starts with "Out of town" and I'll let you finish it with what you think is appropriate.  Most of these takes are narrative based and not based in reality.

Huh?

5 minutes ago, lostfan said:

Nagy doesn't adjust his play calling? I don't think that's true at all. I think he did a great job despite the incessant b****ing ("run more with Howard" when he's been dropped for 2 yard losses 4 times, "stop getting cute" but  only when the cute plays don't work, etc.)

He doesn't. I'm not the only one who sees that. Guys on local Chicago radio see that too. Guys who have played the game. Nagy had one game where he decided he absolutely had to run the ball with Howard and that was against the Rams. 

 

Nagy attempts to use short passing as a running game instead of just running with his best runner. Not saying you have to do it every down or get to "smashmouth" football, but you should use it to keep the defense honest.

 

Lastly, why was Trubs running on 3rd and long?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't say that Nagy sucked or didn't adjust, but he adjusted too late, and he should've had Mitch attacking the secondary from the start. That's my gripe. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For context over all the Bears season was much better than id have expected.

That being said nothing is guaranteed in the NFL so it sucks to lose when your team could go further.

I really think today was the first time the Bears played like a team who had something to lose as opposed to a team that was exceeding expectations. There was a part when the announcers talked about "be you",  i thought it was ironic because i felt Nagy wasn't being himself.

Hes a rookie coach. He made some rookie mistakes in the last few minutes with time management.

The Bears can be better next year and i think the hardest part is watching a game where they didnt play great but still had a chance to win get blown because of an inconsistent kicker. 

Edited by Soxbadger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

He's statistically not a better player than Trubisky.  Nothing really to disagree with.  

So we are throwing out Yards thrown, TDS thrown, passer rating and teams each plays with?

 

Okay, gotcha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way, I do want to say it. Thank you Bears. It didn’t end the way I wanted but it sure was a fun season and that’s all I can ask for! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×