LittleHurt05

Official 2018-19 NFL Thread

It's interesting that the final score of the NE/KC changes the narrative so drastically for everyone.

With a 90 seconds left in the game, NE was down 28-24. Tom Brady threw his 3rd interception of the game. NE loses. Is Brady done? Why didn't Bellichik (fill in the blank)? Is the dynasty over? Gronk looks terrible....

Nobody would have questioned KC's game plan. Andy Reid would be returning to the Big Game. Mahomes is the future. KC overcame the loss of Hunt.

But a guy lined up in the neutral zone (how does that happen?) and NE scores the go ahead. KC comes back and moves right down the field . They were a few seconds away from being able to take a shot at a TD for the win, but they had to settle for the FG and tie.

Coin flip win by NE and the result was as predictable as a double doink. Of course, it's possible Brady throws another bad pick or KC finally gets to him for a strip sack. Maybe the refs don't call a phantom roughing the passer and the first down that comes with it is instead a third and long. Then we'd be back to paragraph two and three above.

Total respect for Brady and the Pats, but I'm tired of them. I would much rather have seen a KC/LA game.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

12 minutes ago, Middle Buffalo said:

It's interesting that the final score of the NE/KC changes the narrative so drastically for everyone.

With a 90 seconds left in the game, NE was down 28-24. Tom Brady threw his 3rd interception of the game. NE loses. Is Brady done? Why didn't Bellichik (fill in the blank)? Is the dynasty over? Gronk looks terrible....

Nobody would have questioned KC's game plan. Andy Reid would be returning to the Big Game. Mahomes is the future. KC overcame the loss of Hunt.

But a guy lined up in the neutral zone (how does that happen?) and NE scores the go ahead. KC comes back and moves right down the field . They were a few seconds away from being able to take a shot at a TD for the win, but they had to settle for the FG and tie.

Coin flip win by NE and the result was as predictable as a double doink. Of course, it's possible Brady throws another bad pick or KC finally gets to him for a strip sack. Maybe the refs don't call a phantom roughing the passer and the first down that comes with it is instead a third and long. Then we'd be back to paragraph two and three above.

Total respect for Brady and the Pats, but I'm tired of them. I would much rather have seen a KC/LA game.

Maybe I was too drunk when I was watching, but from what I remember that interception Brady threw when Ford was in the neutral zone it hit off of Gronks hands. Not exactly his fault.

7 hours ago, The Beast said:

Why? Discuss.

His enthusiasm for everything is fantastic and comes out very naturally. Hes calling every play before it ever happens. Dont think I've seen a color guy as knowledgeable as him. The internet has exploded since he appears to be a wizard. Here's some articles on him last night. Lots of  people thinking he needs to become a coach. I hope not; I want him in the booth.

https://dailycaller.com/2019/01/21/tony-romo-commentating-afc-championship-reactions-twitter/

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/tony-romo-widely-praised-for-commentary-during-afc-title-game

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2019/01/21/tony-romo-was-biggest-star-of-the-afc-championship-game

Romo is a great commentator and yeah he was calling the plays before the snap on that final drive.

As for "luck," Brady is 3-0 in OT playoff games, and is 3-0 in winning those coin flips. 

Kind of sick of seeing New England in the Super Bowl, but at least you know it will be a close game and probably have a wild ending.

10 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

10 days ago the Rams and Cowboys were going to play each other. And you're making fun of me for being excited that one of my favorite teams is making the Super Bowl?

I assume you're not as stupid as you're coming off right now. I hope. Maybe as a moderator you should know better than to randomly starting picking fights?

Be less bitter.

Sorry that sports are so serious to you that you can't find the humor in all of this. 

Don't worry, 300 million Americans are hopping on the Rams bandwagon the next two weeks so clear off some room.

1 minute ago, StrangeSox said:

Still in awe of that blown DPI in the Saints game.

It was so bad that I think it might actually result in a change of rules.  Like the Jerry Rice fumble in the playoffs that created instant replay.

I don't know if they can make every play reviewable, the games could be like 6 hours long, but maybe they could have some in the booth that can check a replay quick and alert the official if they missed something.

2 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

It was so bad that I think it might actually result in a change of rules.  Like the Jerry Rice fumble in the playoffs that created instant replay.

I don't know if they can make every play reviewable, the games could be like 6 hours long, but maybe they could have some in the booth that can check a replay quick and alert the official if they missed something.

how is it possible to "miss" this though??

merlin_149508444_f3f04d22-7ac4-4423-b234

7 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

I am thoroughly enjoying the honestness of the Rams regarding the play.  Robey-Coleman just said "Hell yeah that was PI" after watching the replay.  And the IG post from Gurley.  https://www.instagram.com/tg4hunnid/p/Bs4I6bogzDf/

I have no idea how that official missed that.  Sean Payton should have been able to challenge that. 

Also, with OT being a big issue.  I think in the playoffs they should just play an extra 10 minute quarter. 

1 hour ago, StrangeSox said:

Not just pass interference either but a clear as day personal foul too.  The refs chose to ignore both.  It’s absolutely absurd.  

1 hour ago, GoSox05 said:

Well you can keep the same number of challenges, 2-3, but make PI a reviewable call, under the same rules - it must be clear and obvious or whatever the language was. Technically you could do it for a few other penalties too (Personal fouls, maybe even holding), but if the coach is limited to just a couple challenges then you're not going to pile up the reviews all that much. In fact you might even get fewer as if I were a coach in a close game I would do everything humanly possible to make sure that, if there was a clearly wrong call with 3:00 remaining in the game, I could get it overturned. 

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Well you can keep the same number of challenges, 2-3, but make PI a reviewable call, under the same rules - it must be clear and obvious or whatever the language was. Technically you could do it for a few other penalties too (Personal fouls, maybe even holding), but if the coach is limited to just a couple challenges then you're not going to pile up the reviews all that much. In fact you might even get fewer as if I were a coach in a close game I would do everything humanly possible to make sure that, if there was a clearly wrong call with 3:00 remaining in the game, I could get it overturned. 

That might be the best way to go about it.  If they do that they should give coaches at least one more challenge flag.  The rules should make it clear that it has to be obvious DPI like we saw yesterday.

Peter King of Football Morning in America wonders aloud whether the blunder will bring down senior V.P. of officiating Al Riveron.

“As soon as this call got made, I heard from a couple of acquaintances/sources about the impact of it,” King writes. “‘Al Riveron is gone,’ one said. ‘He can’t survive this.’ Another said the league will have to pay big to bring back Dean Blandino or Mike Pereira (less likely). I think Riveron was on thin ice before Sunday. What the NFL should do, if it decides to dump Riveron, is pay realistic money to get Blandino back from his cushy gig at FOX. He’s a trusted and trustworthy guy.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/21/will-rams-saints-debacle-bring-down-al-riveron/

7 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

That might be the best way to go about it.  If they do that they should give coaches at least one more challenge flag.  The rules should make it clear that it has to be obvious DPI like we saw yesterday.

Don’t know if this has been mentioned, but the CFL allows you to challenge PI calls

2 hours ago, fathom said:

Don’t know if this has been mentioned, but the CFL allows you to challenge PI calls

I think they have been doing it for a while. 

The NFL could base the system off that and mess around with it in preseason. 

I don't know the general consensus of Tony Romo, but he was on fire yesterday. Probably the most impressive performance by a color commentator I have ever heard for an NFL game. He was calling plays like Doug Collins used to do in his prime NBA commenting ysars.

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't know the general consensus of Tony Romo, but he was on fire yesterday. Probably the most impressive performance by a color commentator I have ever heard for an NFL game. He was calling plays like Doug Collins used to do in his prime NBA commenting ysars.

He is great.  I think he is doing the Super Bowl, so that should be awesome. 

Breaking down plays and telling us what might happen and he is having a good time doing it.  It was like night and day between Aikman and Buck, who I like and think are a good pair, but Romo just gets so into it. 

They better not introduce replay for penalties. Just rewrite the pass inference rules to something that makes sense. The spirit of the rule has been lost, that's why it's become so controversial.

Pass inference exists so defenders don't tackle WR while the ball is in the air. It is not meant to be a get-out-of-jail-free card for offenses. If they want to legislate contact and hand fighting make it separate foul, akin the defensive holding, and leave the spot foul for plays where receivers are running unabated and just wind up being dragged to the ground.

Lost in all this controversy is the fact that pass probably would not have been completed anyways. It was designed to draw a penalty. Is that the kind of football we want?

1 minute ago, GoSox05 said:

He is great.  I think he is doing the Super Bowl, so that should be awesome. 

Breaking down plays and telling us what might happen and he is having a good time doing it.  It was like night and day between Aikman and Buck, who I like and think are a good pair, but Romo just gets so into it. 

NZ and Australia get Boog, Tess and Wit. Kill me.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KiwiSox said:

They better not introduce replay for penalties. Just rewrite the pass inference rules to something that makes sense. The spirit of the rule has been lost, that's why it's become so controversial.

Pass inference exists so defenders don't tackle WR while the ball is in the air. It is not meant to be a get-out-of-jail-free card for offenses. If they want to legislate contact and hand fighting make it separate foul, akin the defensive holding, and leave the spot foul for plays where receivers are running unabated and just wind up being dragged to the ground.

Lost in all this controversy is the fact that pass probably would not have been completed anyways. It was designed to draw a penalty. Is that the kind of football we want?

The defender literally tackled the WR right in front of the ref. It was a failure of officiating, not a failure of rules not being clear enough.

Edited by StrangeSox

4 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

The defender literally tackled the WR right in front of the ref. It was a failure of officiating, not a failure of rules not being clear enough.

This is not the first problem we've had with pass interference and it's very clear there is a systemic problem here. I think it's a more existential threat to the health of the sport than player misconduct or concussions. It's really killing the between-the-lines product.

Also that's not really a TACKLE and anyone's who has played will tell you a tackle is wrapping up and bringing to the ground. More of a body check that knocked Lewis completely off balance. There are WR in this league who wouldn't be so easily displaced.

Still probably a penalty, but the Saints lost that game.