Official 2018-19 NFL Thread

That was such a relief. I know 2006 featured quite a few ass whoopings but this felt like another level. Not much weird stuff, just dominating football.

im surprised how little chatter I’ve seen about the drastic different Howard usage. Lots of really interesting adjustments this game.

mitch was great. I’m fine with ups and downs but the lack of ups terrified me. He has shown me his ups and, baby, the ups are good.

Nichols was great but I want to give some non-Mack love to Eddie Jackson, he has figured it out in terms of anticipation and closing out.

4 hours ago, Tony said:

Which is what we’ve tried to beat into your head for weeks. Stop making rash, hot take posts after one game. The fire Nagy, Mack was a waste, Trubisky sucks, etc all make you look like a clown. 

No one is saying after this game, Mitch is now an elite QB. It was a great game to watch, and gave everyone a hopeful glimpse into what could be. But anyone making proclamations after one game should be shot down as well. 

When something happens, good or bad, maybe don’t rush to the keyboard next time, and take a more leveled approach, rather than trying to play Skip Bayless.

This. It was great to see the flash, but it is one game and the crazy part was, we still left plays out on the field. The big thing to me was Mitch looked significantly more comfortable in the pocket and quicker in his reads. A big thing I also noticed was a few throws where he created the window by looking off the DB's and than firing a confident pass back over. Was very pretty. Also kudos to Cohen..he was absolutely fantastic as was Gabriel.  Great to see so many open guys...I'm hoping at least some of it is the quality of our weapons and system vs. just the Bucs being lousy :)

Either way, I'll take it.  By the way, Eddie Jackson is just an absolutely stellar safety. I hope he stays healthy and has a long long career in Chicago.  Such a ballhawk. Dude just has a nose for the football and also has really good athleticism.  Total playmaker.  Also, Mack was great...but major kudos to everyone else on the D not named Mack...including Tolliver.  Bucs have a ton of weapons and Bears D played really well.

That said...next up...hopefully we have good practices / productive bye week heading into Miami.  One week at a time but I hope the team doesn't spend too much timing listening into what I presume will be unnecessary hype (again....because this is one game).  I need to see a lot more consistently good to great performances before I really start jumping to conclusions :)

But man...such a fun game...easily one of the best games I've ever seen the Bears play in my lifetime.  

3 hours ago, Wanne said:

actually I'd like to retract that...geezus.  Cards snatch defeat out of the hands of victory...that was pathetic how they lost that game.  On the bright side...Cards have a QB.  Rosen is gonna be a good one IMO.

Rosen is so freaking smooth and talented. I stick to my guns that he will be the best QB in this past years draft class. The guy I really am not impressed with (thus far...small sample size) has been Sam Darnold.  Small sample size so no conclusions, but imo, he's looked the least NFL ready (which shouldn't be a surprised as I think a lot of people thought he was less ready than Mayfield or Rosen). Still he's got good moxy and obviously good tools.  

24 minutes ago, bmags said:

That was such a relief. I know 2006 featured quite a few ass whoopings but this felt like another level. Not much weird stuff, just dominating football.

im surprised how little chatter I’ve seen about the drastic different Howard usage. Lots of really interesting adjustments this game.

mitch was great. I’m fine with ups and downs but the lack of ups terrified me. He has shown me his ups and, baby, the ups are good.

Nichols was great but I want to give some non-Mack love to Eddie Jackson, he has figured it out in terms of anticipation and closing out.

We noticed the same things. I think Howard was dealing with a wrist injury, but I think part of it was probably momentum / scheme / sticking with the hot hand.  Howard will get his though. Nagy is creative and will find a lot of ways....plus if we can open up the intermediate and deep passing game like they did this week...there will be lots of room for Howard as the season gets going.  

3 hours ago, bmags said:

The Bucs defense is actually really good on the line. Linebackers and secondary, not so much. Therefore, I was pleasantly surprised that we didn't use Howard much. I don't think it would've gone well. 

This win was as much on Trubisky as it was on Nagy's playcalling and coaching. Very stellar game all-around. 

12 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

Same with Tampa short week road game.

The short week + road game part yes, but obviously not so much the desperate 0-3 team.

Those things I listed aren't excuses to lose a game by more than 5 touchdowns, though.

15 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Rosen is so freaking smooth and talented. I stick to my guns that he will be the best QB in this past years draft class. The guy I really am not impressed with (thus far...small sample size) has been Sam Darnold.  Small sample size so no conclusions, but imo, he's looked the least NFL ready (which shouldn't be a surprised as I think a lot of people thought he was less ready than Mayfield or Rosen). Still he's got good moxy and obviously good tools.  

if you go back and watch the condensed version of this game on NFL...you'll see that Rosen probably should have had close to another 100 yards in his stat line if it hadn't been for all the drops...just blatant DROPS Cards WRs had...including one on Fitzgerald.  Rosen is a pretty smart guy too...and I think his teammates respond to him pretty well.

19 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

4 hours ago, Wanne said:

if you go back and watch the condensed version of this game on NFL...you'll see that Rosen probably should have had close to another 100 yards in his stat line if it hadn't been for all the drops...just blatant DROPS Cards WRs had...including one on Fitzgerald.  Rosen is a pretty smart guy too...and I think his teammates respond to him pretty well.

Agree with you both. I'm a USC fan so it pains me to say this, but Rosen's going to be a good player. He reminds me a little of Matt Ryan but I think Rosen is even smoother on the field with a little Rodgers killer instinct in him. I would have went Rosen, Mayfield, Darnold then Allen, but what do I know?

To Clarify: The Mack trade was Awesome. Jason knows I was advocating acquiring him on Talkbears.com in early August. I have one major concern about it, and that is the lack of flexibility in the event that Trubisky sucks and you can't win enough games with him. They've used so much cap space and draft capital on this roster, that even if they wanted or had to get a different QB, whether via the draft or FA they couldn't do it. They're running the risk of wasting a top 3 defense in football. I guess that if Trubisky fails, nothing else matters anyway and everyone is shitcanned. What is concerning is this defense's prime is 2018-2020 and if Mitch doesn't show enough this year, they have to consider another option because they can't waste this defense. They don't have enough cap flexibility to do it if they had to, without completely punting on Trubisky. Even then it is iffy. Trubisky hadn't shown much, if anything to get excited about until 9/30/2018. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

30 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

To Clarify: The Mack trade was Awesome. Jason knows I was advocating acquiring him on Talkbears.com in early August. I have one major concern about it, and that is the lack of flexibility in the event that Trubisky sucks and you can't win enough games with him. They've used so much cap space and draft capital on this roster, that even if they wanted or had to get a different QB, whether via the draft or FA they couldn't do it. They're running the risk of wasting a top 3 defense in football. I guess that if Trubisky fails, nothing else matters anyway and everyone is shitcanned. What is concerning is this defense's prime is 2018-2020 and if Mitch doesn't show enough this year, they have to consider another option because they can't waste this defense. They don't have enough cap flexibility to do it if they had to, without completely punting on Trubisky. Even then it is iffy. Trubisky hadn't shown much, if anything to get excited about until 9/30/2018. 

there's a lot of "ifs" in this comment.  Maybe sit back and relax and see how it plays out.  Hopefully Sunday gave you a little reprieve from your angst in terms of Trubisky.  I will say this tho...a lot will be scheme now as teams will bring a ton of pressure (which TB didn't}.  Nagy is going to have to find a way to exploit the pressure with more than those friggin bubble screens.

As for the Bears cap...they're fine even with Mack.  They're currently have a little over 6M cap room and next year you'll have guys come off like Sims (6M)  White (5M) possibly Acho (3ishM).  What Bears are going to have to be concerned about are their OTs.  Lenos contract was back loaded so his cap hit will be more and Massie is an UFA next year.  Will they bring him back or slide Long out to RT finally?

18 minutes ago, Wanne said:

there's a lot of "ifs" in this comment.  Maybe sit back and relax and see how it plays out.  Hopefully Sunday gave you a little reprieve from your angst in terms of Trubisky.  I will say this tho...a lot will be scheme now as teams will bring a ton of pressure (which TB didn't}.  Nagy is going to have to find a way to exploit the pressure with more than those friggin bubble screens.

As for the Bears cap...they're fine even with Mack.  They're currently have a little over 6M cap room and next year you'll have guys come off like Sims (6M)  White (5M) possibly Acho (3ishM).  What Bears are going to have to be concerned about are their OTs.  Lenos contract was back loaded so his cap hit will be more and Massie is an UFA next year.  Will they bring him back or slide Long out to RT finally?

I just think it is more likely that a drafted QB slightly below average to a complete bust than it is that a drafted QB is good to great. Pace is a GM, it is his job to have a contingency plan.  It seems to me he doesn't. 

If Kevin White isn't getting the majority of snaps at 2WR and Gabriel isn't in the slot (especially with Miller injured) then I don't know why he even made the team. He offers zero special teams value. Even if White showed a lot this year, it isn't like they'd be able to keep him around anyway, so I just wish they would move on, and if he takes off elsewhere, it wasn't going to happen here anyway. At that point it is what it is. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

16 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If Kevin White isn't getting the majority of snaps at 2WR and Gabriel isn't in the slot (especially with Miller injured) then I don't know why he even made the team. He offers zero special teams value. Even if White showed a lot this year, it isn't like they'd be able to keep him around anyway, so I just wish they would move on, and if he takes off elsewhere, it wasn't going to happen here anyway. At that point it is what it is. 

you do realize the Bears had to pay him regardless of whether he was on the roster or not...right? 

6 minutes ago, Wanne said:

you do realize the Bears had to pay him regardless of whether he was on the roster or not...right? 

Yes. I just thought it would be worse optics if he somehow took off this season and left in March via FA, than to cut him now and eat the cap space. In the worst case scenario, he takes up a roster spot that should go to a special teamer at league minimum, and it is dead cap either way. If that cap space was taken up in any event, it is better to have a player that occupies a useful roster spot toward winning football games, rather than waste a roster spot for another year on what is most likely a lost cause. If Kevin White is going to become a decent NFL receiver, it isn't going to happen in Chicago. Cut your losses and move on. I'd rather have Wims get White's playing time. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

36 minutes ago, Wanne said:

As of prior to week 4, Trubisky was a top 10 QB in football against pressure.

Edited by soxfan49

38 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I just think it is more likely that a drafted QB slightly below average to a complete bust than it is that a drafted QB is good to great. Pace is a GM, it is his job to have a contingency plan.  It seems to me he doesn't. 

Wait, you think Pace needs to have a contingency plan to replace a guy he drafted last year, right now?     Like, you think he should have drafted his successor?

8 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Wait, you think Pace needs to have a contingency plan to replace a guy he drafted last year, right now?     Like, you think he should have drafted his successor?

No. He needs to have a contingency plan in 2019-2020 if Mitch hasn't shown enough by then. I don't think he should have drafted his successor, it isn't time for that yet. Depending on #10's performance the remainder of this season he should in a top notch vet backup next year(he should probably do that regardless in event of injury), and if Mitch still sucks by 2020, he should have a decent option to replace him. No QB should be drafted early until 2020 at earliest. I just wish they had a 1st rounder just in case. Maybe they can trade to the bottom half if need be with their 2 2nds. I just don't want them to waste this defense's prime. They need to have a quick trigger finger on Mitch in order to maximize the defense's best years. Pace has made his own bed with this roster construction and salary structure. He needs to make the right moves accordingly with where they are now. If Mitch is great, none of this matters but I'm just saying I hope he has a plan B that he can break the glass of in case of emergency. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

tenor.gif

Jeez, What is wrong with an "In case of emergency, break glass" plan where there is a distinct plan B if the worst case scenario occurs. All I was saying, Albeit verbosely, was that it is his job to have that plan behind the glass. I'm just concerned they don't have the cap flexibility and draft capital to have that plan available to them, should they need it. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Jeez, What is wrong with an "In case of emergency, break glass" plan where there is a distinct plan B if the worst case scenario occurs. All I was saying, Albeit verbosely, was that it is his job to have that plan behind the glass. I'm just concerned they don't have the cap flexibility to have that plan available to them. 

With a need at pass rusher, DB, OL depth, and most importantly offensive weapons, where would you have liked Pace to find a good QB "just in case?"

"Is this Case Keenum? Case, this is Ryan Pace. We want to give you $36M over the next 2 years just in case the QB I drafted sucks ass. You're going to sit the bench, but if he hasn't proven to be the next Drew Brees after 30 NFL games, you'll play at that point."

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

No. He needs to have a contingency plan in 2019-2020 if Mitch hasn't shown enough by then. I don't think he should have drafted his successor, it isn't time for that yet. Depending on #10's performance the remainder of this season he should in a top notch vet backup next year(he should probably do that regardless in event of injury), and if Mitch still sucks by 2020, he should have a decent option to replace him. No QB should be drafted early until 2020 at earliest. I just wish they had a 1st rounder just in case. Maybe they can trade to the bottom half if need be with their 2 2nds. I just don't want them to waste this defense's prime. They need to have a quick trigger finger on Mitch in order to maximize the defense's best years. Pace has made his own bed with this roster construction and salary structure. He needs to make the right moves accordingly with where they are now. If Mitch is great, none of this matters but I'm just saying I hope he has a plan B that he can break the glass of in case of emergency. 

so you think because Pace hasnt put his big board out there for everyone to see, he doesnt have a contingency plan, and you base this on your(and pretty much everyone elses) remedial understanding of the cap and where the Bears stand now. 

I mean, at some point you have to step back and realize that you dont see everything going on in the background, and you certainly cannot base your judgement on what you can see at the moment.   Its just silly at this point

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

With a need at pass rusher, DB, OL depth, and most importantly offensive weapons, where would you have liked Pace to find a good QB "just in case?"

"Is this Case Keenum? Case, this is Ryan Pace. We want to give you $36M over the next 2 years just in case the QB I drafted sucks ass. You're going to sit the bench, but if he hasn't proven to be the next Drew Brees after 30 NFL games, you'll play at that point."

Not now, he needs it in 2019 and 20. 

5 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

so you think because Pace hasnt put his big board out there for everyone to see, he doesnt have a contingency plan, and you base this on your(and pretty much everyone elses) remedial understanding of the cap and where the Bears stand now. 

I mean, at some point you have to step back and realize that you dont see everything going on in the background, and you certainly cannot base your judgement on them.   Its just silly at this point

Nobody does, because we're not a fly on the wall. That doesn't mean that a GM isn't beyond criticism by anyone other than ownership. We make do with the data that is available to us as fans.  Ownership and the other people in the FO are the only ones that have a complete data set. Are you saying that they are the only ones qualified to evaluate a GM's performance? I guess we should all STFU and say they know more about their respective sport than we ever will and take whatever they say as gospel. 

Do you see how ridiculous that sounds? 

Edited by Jack Parkman