Official 2018-19 NFL Thread

4 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

But the bottom line is, despite all the poor play, the coach had a chance to put us in position to win the game in overtime and he failed to even try. 

I agree with you. Nagy had an amazing second half with his play calling, but he got scared in overtime and settled for a 50 yard field goal from an average kicker. Parkey is decent but hes no Tucker, they should have tried to move the ball. 

I'm glad they have Nagy but both losses can be partly blamed on his inexperience. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tony said:

This is where it becomes way too easy to blame the coach, and not the players. You’ve got a veteran defense on the field, and on top of it Nagy doesn’t even coach the defense. He’s the head coach of the offense. At some point, someone needs to make a tackle. 

Nagy made some mistakes today, some of which I posted about. But this loss wasn’t on the coaches.

between the country club preseason...the last two weeks of taking it easy...you bet your ass it's on the coaches to get a team ready to play.  They weren't.  And Fangio didn't learn a damn thing from the Packers picking them apart in the 2nd half.  Dolphins did.  Granted...coaches don't fumble.  Coaches don't miss tackles.  But this team (the D) looked gassed out there today.  But still...to waste an entire half of football scoring 0 points.  Trubisky missed a couple of wide open receivers too...one might have been a TD.    But it was a horrible game plan to start with on O.  Mack was non-existent today as well.  2 tackles...and was nowhere near many plays.

Just now, LittleHurt05 said:

I'm glad they have Nagy but both losses can be partly blamed on his inexperience. 

this I agree with.  I'm glad the Bears have him...but frustrating right now.  He'll do better I'm sure.  Just frustrating this team should be 5-0.

29 minutes ago, Wanne said:

he was pissy in his post game presser...four "no comments" and overall pissy at questions.  I like that he's pissed...but he's got nobody to blame (well...Fangio too)...but nobody to blame but himself.  He gets cute when he should be pounding the ball on 1st and goal...and when he needs a critical 4 yards he gets all John Fox.  He sure has a lot to learn about being a HC.  This team WAS NOT prepared to play today....glad they had a leisurely week off.  Probably filled up reading all the press clippings about how fucking great they are. 

But you just can't continually leave points on the field like that.  I don't mind losing (much...well that's a lie)...but PISSING AWAY games like this and the Packer game....goddamn.  This team should be 5-0 and in the drivers seat of this division.  To come out like they did today on offense and basically waste an entire half blowing off the dust of you comfy two weeks...complete bullshit.

BTW, he wasn’t pissy about the questions except for one (which IMO he had a right because if Trubisky does throw a pick, it’s incomplete or he takes a sack, it’s mayhem). I think he was mostly pissed with the Burton OPI and the Floyd penalty & didn’t want to say much more to avoid being fined.

This loss was disappointing but really if Trubisky is going to keep having games like this where he has 3 TDs on 10 y/a, the Bears will win 90% of those games. It's pretty clear where the blame belongs for this game and it's definitely not where any of us expected it. Yes, Howard's fumble at the goal line sucked, yes the interception after the TD was negated by OPI sucked, but it would've been nice for the D to do... I don't know, basically anything at all after that? the bare minimum?

1 minute ago, Wanne said:

this I agree with.  I'm glad the Bears have him...but frustrating right now.  He'll do better I'm sure.  Just frustrating this team should be 5-0.

You are what your record shows. You’re assuming that if he’s aggressive on 3rd and 4 that Trubisky gets a first down. You can’t assume that. They should be 3-2 and they are. In the two losses, the defense stunk for 4 of the 8 quarters and the offense stunk for 4 of the 8 quarters. They deserved both L’s.

Just now, soxfan49 said:

BTW, he wasn’t pissy about the questions except for one (which IMO he had a right because if Trubisky does throw a pick, it’s incomplete or he takes a sack, it’s mayhem). I think he was mostly pissed with the Burton OPI and the Floyd penalty & didn’t want to say much more to avoid being fined.

the Burton call was beyond horrible.

1 minute ago, lostfan said:

This loss was disappointing but really if Trubisky is going to keep having games like this where he has 3 TDs on 10 y/a, the Bears will win 90% of those games. It's pretty clear where the blame belongs for this game and it's definitely not where any of us expected it. Yes, Howard's fumble at the goal line sucked, yes the interception after the TD was negated by OPI sucked, but it would've been nice for the D to do... I don't know, basically anything at all after that? the bare minimum?

+1

Just now, Wanne said:

the Burton call was beyond horrible.

I agree with the call, actually, but I get why some wouldn’t. Yes Alonso was running right at him, but Burton can’t dip his shoulder. Move out of the way or something. Dipping your shoulder and hitting a defender in the chest with it is going to be called everytime. Pereira agreed with the call, fwiw.

8 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

He ran the ball with what’s supposed to be a top 10 NFL back who got no yards. There’s absolutely no guarantee that a pass works, or that Parkey even makes a shorter kick. Too many what if’s for me. They turned the ball over twice in the red zone. That’s not on Nagy.

Of course there's no guarantee, but there's a higher probability that it works given we had run the same exact play twice in a row and the defense was completely expecting another one. It's not about what's guaranteed or isn't but what gives us a higher chance of winning, to me. I want to see more aggression from this supposedly aggressive coach 

2 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

You are what your record shows. You’re assuming that if he’s aggressive on 3rd and 4 that Trubisky gets a first down. You can’t assume that. They should be 3-2 and they are. In the two losses, the defense stunk for 4 of the 8 quarters and the offense stunk for 4 of the 8 quarters. They deserved both L’s.

i'm not assuming crap.  what I've been saying is he gets cute on 1st and goals inside the 5....but when you need another 10-15 yards for a decent FG distance...he goes all John Fox on a fresh set of downs.  Not assuming anything...but didn't think at that point he'd take the ball out of Trubisky's hands.

Nagy hasn't been perfect (there's no such thing, though sometimes Belichick comes close) but overall I'd say he's done a fine job with his playcalling and decisions. Sometimes he makes a call everyone hates (a pass play in the 4th quarter on 3rd and 1 when Howard is running over LBs all game) but often he will make a good call and his guys just don't execute the play. More often than that, though, they do, and it works out great.

2 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I agree with the call, actually, but I get why some wouldn’t. Yes Alonso was running right at him, but Burton can’t dip his shoulder. Move out of the way or something. Dipping your shoulder and hitting a defender in the chest with it is going to be called everytime. Pereira agreed with the call, fwiw.

happens every game.  happened on one of the Dolphins bubbles...no call.

2 minutes ago, lostfan said:

Nagy hasn't been perfect (there's no such thing, though sometimes Belichick comes close) but overall I'd say he's done a fine job with his playcalling and decisions. Sometimes he makes a call everyone hates (a pass play in the 4th quarter on 3rd and 1 when Howard is running over LBs all game) but often he will make a good call and his guys just don't execute the play. More often than that, though, they do, and it works out great.

I agree that he's been good overall. Hell, he's been great overall as a playcaller. But late against Green Bay and in OT against Miami, he throws it all away and plays how "conventional" coaches would. I want to see him break out of that. 

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I agree that he's been good overall. Hell, he's been great overall as a playcaller. But late against Green Bay and in OT against Miami, he throws it all away and plays how "conventional" coaches would. I want to see him break out of that. 

It's a fair criticism of him, and it's definitely in bounds. I think some of it is just general inexperience. I don't think he's like John Fox where you just KNOW before the play is even called that he's going to do the most conservative, play-to-not-lose play, he's trying to decide what gives him the best chance to win is and it hasn't worked. I like him as a coach, but he can definitely improve and I think he will.

Edited by lostfan

7 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

My only beef was that the flag seemed to come so late. Like it felt had the result been an incomplete pass, they wouldn't have thrown the flag.

It is what it is, in all honesty, it seems like the Bears have been on the favorable end penalty wise so far this season. Finally got out first shitty roughing the passer penalty, the opponents have had plenty. It's part of the game nowadays.

I just can’t believe we’re discussing Nagy. The offense did have 3 TO’s but the defense got their ass kicked by Brock fucking Osweiler. My concern is that no one runs the quick throw offense better than the Patriots, and I’d take their coach, OC, QB, two top receivers, and TE over Miami’s. My fear isn’t the Bears offense next week (NE is 13th vs the pass and 21st vs the run) but it’s that the Bears lack of pass rush is likely going to rear its ugly head again

Edited by soxfan49

21 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

And they easily could have lost the Arizona game, and they should have beat Seattle by 30 but let them hang around, so it's not like all the wins were locks.

It's so fun that they are finally relevant but they still have some work to do. 

But I will say today was the most excited I was about the Bears in years, that's for sure.

15 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I just can’t believe we’re discussing Nagy. The offense did have 3 TO’s but the defense got their ass kicked by Brock fucking Osweiler. My concern is that no one runs the quick throw offense better than the Patriots, and I’d take their coach, OC, QB, two top receivers, and TE over Miami’s. My fear isn’t the Bears offense next week (NE is 13th vs the pass and 21st vs the run) but it’s that the Bears lack of pass rush is likely going to rear its ugly head again

This. I'd imagine teams are going to run the quick throw offense until the Bears prove they can beat it. Fangio needs to coach up the DBs on jumping routes and being in position to tackle receivers immediately after they catch the ball. 

I have zero problems with Nagy. I have a lot of problems with how easily the Bears defense can be beat by quick throws and hurry up offenses. Giving up two 70+ yd TDs on bubble screens through 5 weeks is inexcusable at the NFL level. 

Just everyone leave me alone about some other stuff. I'll take my break if you guys want me to, but I feel like I have some good stuff to add to the discussion about football. I don't appreciate being attacked when I say the Bears suck. I will believe it when I see it, that is all. Until then, I will continue to believe they suck. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

9 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

This. I'd imagine teams are going to run the quick throw offense until the Bears prove they can beat it. Fangio needs to coach up the DBs on jumping routes and being in position to tackle receivers immediately after they catch the ball. 

I have zero problems with Nagy. I have a lot of problems with how easily the Bears defense can be beat by quick throws and hurry up offenses. Giving up two 70+ yd TDs on bubble screens through 5 weeks is inexcusable at the NFL level. 

Just everyone leave me alone about some other stuff. I'll take my break if you guys want me to, but I feel like I have some good stuff to add to the discussion about football. I don't appreciate being attacked when I say the Bears suck. I will believe it when I see it, that is all. Until then, I will continue to believe they suck. 

You’re back to this nonsense again? First the QB sucks until it can proved otherwise and now the team sucks?

12 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

But I will say today was the most excited I was about the Bears in years, that's for sure.

Are you implying that you're no longer excited because of today's game, or am I reading too much into your use of past tense? 

12 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't appreciate being attacked when I say the Bears suck. I will believe it when I see it, that is all. Until then, I will continue to believe they suck. 

If you're gonna constantly share opinions that can easily be outed as biased or nonsense, there should be a reasonable expectation that you'll receive backlash. 

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

You’re back to this nonsense again? First the QB sucks until it can proved otherwise and now the team sucks?

There has been a lot of failure over my lifetime as a Bears fan. I am too young to remember when Ditka and the Bears were good. My memory goes back to watching Wanne's Bears as a kid. There has been just a ton of suck. I enjoy football, and the Bears, but have zero faith they will ever figure it out. I used to have a saying, that the Bears are just grown up Cubs. Hopefully the Bears will grow up and become a real franchise in their sport like the Cubs eventually did.