Official 2018-19 NFL Thread

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Bears fans don't know what a good Quarterback actually looks like in their uniform, so they hold them to the Tom Brady standard. In Chicago, if the Bears new QB isn't as good as prime Tom Brady, they suck. 

Sorry to break it, your opinion of Chicago QBs do not represent all Bears fans.

• Love 4

1 hour ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Sorry to break it, your opinion of Chicago QBs do not represent all Bears fans.

I've actually been defending Trubisky lately, if you haven't been paying attention. I think he's fine for a 2nd year pro. He's grown on me. Evidence and more data is a wonderful thing. 

Again, I'm not afraid to change my opinion as the data set becomes larger. Scientific method ftw, eh?

Go read the Anderson doesn't walk thread. 

Ever heard of confirmation bias? I'm trying to avoid doing that. Nobody is supposed to stick to their guns indefinitely, as you acquire more data you can change your opinion accordingly.

To quote Spaceballs: What's happening now is happening now. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

11 minutes ago, Tony said:

Or...don’t make judgments without the proper information in the first place? No one was asking you your opinion of Trubisky after 8 games, but you decided to go all Skip Bayless on the board, for months. 

It’s great to make educated assessments with data. But next time, wait to the data actually comes in. No one is going to mind. 

I said that I knew that I was working with incomplete data, but based on the data I had at the time. 

What happened then was happening then.

What's happening now is happening now. 

What's wrong with "Based on what I've seen so far....."?

On the other hand, I flipped a bit on Giolito and Moncada  on the Sox end because I realized I was falling into the trap that is confirmation bias. 

Trying not to do that. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

I've actually been defending Trubisky lately, if you haven't been paying attention. I think he's fine for a 2nd year pro. He's grown on me. Evidence and more data is a wonderful thing. 

Again, I'm not afraid to change my opinion as the data set becomes larger. Scientific method ftw, eh?

Go read the Anderson doesn't walk thread. 

Ever heard of confirmation bias? I'm trying to avoid doing that. Nobody is supposed to stick to their guns indefinitely, as you acquire more data you can change your opinion accordingly.

To quote Spaceballs: What's happening now is happening now. 

So it took you a mere 4 weeks to change an opinion that you claimed was based on a hundred years of this franchise’s misery? And you wonder why people don’t take your opinion seriously.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

So it took you a mere 4 weeks to change an opinion that you claimed was based on a hundred years of this franchise’s misery? And you wonder why people don’t take your opinion seriously.

I'm not even going to argue this point. 

Just because I believe in rejecting bad opinions doesn't mean they don't have value at the moment they are said. 

You can share your ideas, and if others think they're bad you realize it and consider others input. I did that. You don't have to stick to an opinion indefinitely. People are allowed to change their minds. 

Flip flopping isn't a sign of stupidity, it is a sign of intelligence. To each his own though. Unless you're omnipotent, everyone is ignorant about something. 

It takes a lot of courage to admit that you were wrong. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, lostfan said:

Trubisky is at times maddeningly inconsistent but he hasn't actually been outright bad for a whole game, and when he's hot he's very hot. He's showing enough for me to think that we're not wasting time with him.

The huge positive I’ve noticed is that with the exception of maybe one throw every game, he isn’t throwing into 2-3 guys or taking unnecessary risks. When he misses guys, it’s a good opportunity. With more starts, the accuracy will become much more consistent. His deep ball accuracy vs TB and MIA wasn’t a mirage. 

Edited by soxfan49

38 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

The huge positive I’ve noticed is that with the exception of maybe one throw every game, he isn’t throwing into 2-3 guys or taking unnecessary risks. When he misses guys, it’s a good opportunity. With more starts, the accuracy will become much more consistent. His deep ball accuracy vs TB and MIA wasn’t a mirage. 

The difference between him and our old friends Rex/Jay is that his misses aren't automatic interceptions.  He still has major accuracy problems, which were very apparent in the first half, but his misses are usually unwatchable by everybody. 

The running aspect of his game is huge, but I'm concerned Nagy will get too dependent on it, he can get hurt easily.

8 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

The difference between him and our old friends Rex/Jay is that his misses aren't automatic interceptions.  He still has major accuracy problems, which were very apparent in the first half, but his misses are usually unwatchable by everybody. 

The running aspect of his game is huge, but I'm concerned Nagy will get too dependent on it, he can get hurt easily.

When Trubisky takes off running there are times when I'm like "GET DOWN SLIDE IDIOT" but he's made 2 linebackers miss by the time I'm able to yell it and he ends up with 31 yards.

If he is gonna be one of the best running QBs in the league with significant accuracy issues maybe we should call him Truvicksky.

Edited by lostfan

14 minutes ago, lostfan said:

If he is gonna be one of the best running QBs in the league with significant accuracy issues maybe we should call him Truvicksky.

Second best right now. Dude is almost automatic for 50 rush yards a game. Few QBs in the league are as athletic as him. 

The Bears have lost 3 games, and they were definite losses since there is no such thing as a "should've won" loss, but despite all their mistakes they were in a position to realistically win any of those games. They will probably get crushed against the Rams but looking at the rest of their schedule, if they can hold their own in the division (Fox was pathetic in this area) playoffs isn't out of the question.

22 minutes ago, lostfan said:

The Bears have lost 3 games, and they were definite losses since there is no such thing as a "should've won" loss, but despite all their mistakes they were in a position to realistically win any of those games. They will probably get crushed against the Rams but looking at the rest of their schedule, if they can hold their own in the division (Fox was pathetic in this area) playoffs isn't out of the question.

If they can somewhat contain Gurley, they have a chance. Goff’s really good but that offense was silenced in the first half today thanks to GB essentially shutting down Gurley. I think that game being outdoors on the shitty grass in likely shitty weather will help the Bears, too. The Rams only beat Denver by 3 and that was a game with a wind chill of 25.

Win, no, but I also doubt they get crushed.

One more thing about the Rams- their secondary blows. Trubisky’s athleticism will need to be evident getting away from Donald, Suh and Brockers, but if he can, I think they can score a few TD’s.

Edited by soxfan49
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleHurt05 said:

I just think “major accuracy problems” is overblown. He was really accurate for the first 5 games. Before NE, he was completing over 70% of his passes.

Most young QB’s struggle vs Belichick, and Nagy calling long throws in 25 mph wind today did him no favors.

2 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I just think “major accuracy problems” is overblown. He was really accurate for the first 5 games. Before NE, he was completing over 70% of his passes.

Most young QB’s struggle vs Belichick, and Nagy calling long throws in 25 mph wind today did him no favors.

Completion percentage in the modern NFL is inflated, Trubisky's accuracy seems to either run cold or hot. When it's cold, he will miss WRs downfield (but, and this is key, not usually turn it over) and make a bunch of short completions in the flat or bubble screens. That torpedoes his Y/A, but lately he's been getting big chunks of yardage in the second half.

8 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Like lostfan said, I don't think completion percentage is a fully accurate gauge, especially with how many short passes they throw in Nagy's offense.  Every game, Mitch goes through a stretch where he just flat out misses a few  open receivers.  It happened in the first half yesterday, and you can't just blame those on the wind.  It hasn't really turned into interceptions, though I don't know if that's just good luck or the manner in which he misses the throws.

He needs to shore those up, when it's a close game, that one big play he misses could be the difference.

22 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Like lostfan said, I don't think completion percentage is a fully accurate gauge, especially with how many short passes they throw in Nagy's offense.  Every game, Mitch goes through a stretch where he just flat out misses a few  open receivers.  It happened in the first half yesterday, and you can't just blame those on the wind.  It hasn't really turned into interceptions, though I don't know if that's just good luck or the manner in which he misses the throws.

He needs to shore those up, when it's a close game, that one big play he misses could be the difference.

He's playing it safe and overthrowing the ball, which does help limit the opportunities for interceptions. Flip side is that he misses some moderately difficult throws you'd hope he could make, and he's also missed some wide open receivers by sailing it over their heads.

10 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

Yes, it was bad.  Hate to see players lose their jobs, but they should cut him today. 

He won't have a problem latching on somewhere,dude has talent, but I don't think MM can keep him in that locker room.

32 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

He won't have a problem latching on somewhere,dude has talent, but I don't think MM can keep him in that locker room.

I've never thought Montgomery was very good, but he may have a fit in Chicago. His versatility and hands could be beneficial here.

I'm sure they could probably trade him.  He has some talent, not sure how high a ceiling.  He is also hurt a lot. 

If that story is true and he threw a fit and than took the ball out after the coaches told him not to.  How do you not cut him?

Edited by GoSox05

Re: Trubisky, I'm actually feeling so much better than after the Cardinals game.

He used to be on point to start games, then fall apart for the rest and have very meh performances.

Now he is actually more volatile, but the highs are higher and lows lower than those first 16 or so games. I like that! I also like that for the last several games he is actually finishing the game on fire rather than completely futile. Last year to start of this year, it seemed impossible that he could put together a game winning drive, now I absolutely believe it.

Also yesterday, in the second half there were several passing plays where he stepped into and around in the pocket before delivering a throw. That just was NOT happening in the first 3 games, he would have bailed immediately.

His innaccuracy gaps need to be straightened out for him to become great, but his rushing is making up for it. It's "good" rushing too, nothing feels too dangerous about it, he's been good at sliding.

That said, if he doesn't clear up the large portions of games he doesn't know how to throw, that's basically Blake Bortles. SO yeah, he needs improvement but I feel good about seeing high ceiling play if only for portions of games.