Jump to content
LittleHurt05

Official 2018-19 NFL Thread

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Every non kicker, ex Bear, was calling for his head. But they are sticking with him. That was really weird. 4 off the upright have to be a record. He said afterwards he was kicking them right down the middle and the wind would take them. After one or two, wouldn't you change your thinking? 

Weird how the Lions kicker was completely unaffected by this wind

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Weird how the Lions kicker was completely unaffected by this wind

Parkey said it was God's plan for him to miss those  yesterday. So there you have it.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Brian said:

Parkey said it was God's plan for him to miss those  yesterday. So there you have it.

Since they cut him, Robbie Gould is only 67-70 on FG attempts. He has missed 6 extra points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Since they cut him, Robbie Gould is only 67-70 on FG attempts. He has missed 6 extra points.

That's kind of a crazy stat to do so much better on FG.  I went back to look and Robbie was pretty mediocre in 2014 & 2015.  

9-12 in 2014, though I think he got hurt, then 33-39 in 2015.  That's not awful, but I specifically remember two home games in 2015 that he blew on missed field goals.  When they cut him, I didn't think it was a bad move, he looked like he was at the end of the road, but kickers do have long shelf lives and he figured it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

That's kind of a crazy stat to do so much better on FG.  I went back to look and Robbie was pretty mediocre in 2014 & 2015.  

9-12 in 2014, though I think he got hurt, then 33-39 in 2015.  That's not awful, but I specifically remember two home games in 2015 that he blew on missed field goals.  When they cut him, I didn't think it was a bad move, he looked like he was at the end of the road, but kickers do have long shelf lives and he figured it out.

Very volatile position outside of a few mainstays throughout the league. You're definitely right when most  fans thought Gould was on the way out of the NFL so in hindsight it looks awful but don't hate the Bears for going another route at the time.

Edited by TheTruth05

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really annoying to see Parkey pass the buck to Jesus on those missed FGs, pair that with the report of him refusing to go to Soldier Field to practice kicks makes me have little confidence in the guy. Not to mention the guy Miami replaced him with is way better than him.

Edited by TheTruth05

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was at the game, 15 rows up on the 50 yard line. You see everything from there.

Mitch is the real deal. The defense is the real deal.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

Really annoying to see Parkey pass the buck to Jesus on those missed FGs, pair that with the report of him refusing to go to Soldier Field to practice kicks makes me have little confidence in the guy. Not to mention the guy Miami replaced him with is way better than him.

Why would he go to Soldier Field? It’s not like he has a contract to earn. He got paid already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

Really annoying to see Parkey pass the buck to Jesus on those missed FGs, pair that with the report of him refusing to go to Soldier Field to practice kicks makes me have little confidence in the guy. Not to mention the guy Miami replaced him with is way better than him.

When you are using the same excuse as Nathan Peterman, that's never a good thing. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Nagy is making the right play in supporting Parkey. The guy has talent but is obviously in a funk. I think part of it is, people always underestimate how hard it is to kick in soldier field. The concerning part is, it can be hard to overcome a funk, so while I think an off-season could help cure things, I don't know that the regular season will save him.

And no, cutting Gould was never a good move...I debated many on here at the time, but that is the past. Yes, he lost a game or two for them late one season, but they were not gimme kicks and guys who have excelled like he had deserved the benefit of the doubt. You kick as long as Gould has and you are going to have the occasional off game. All that said, I don't know if Gould would have kicked as good as he has with the Bears...I think the release motivated him to put in additional work and make some corrections that might not have happened if he stayed in Chicago.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was fine cutting Gould, but the savings did not end up doing much, and the main problem, and this is still an issue, is Pace has not really endorsed competition among his kickers. He should have had multiple kickers every year seriously pushing o'donnel and parkey and barth, and he only gave token gestures toward it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't the money saved by cutting Gould bring in Hicks? Maybe I am a year off, but if so, it was the right move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Brian said:

Didn't the money saved by cutting Gould bring in Hicks? Maybe I am a year off, but if so, it was the right move.

The Bears haven't been short on cap space at any point during Pace's tenure, so I don't think cutting Gould had any impact on who we signed (especially since it wasn't until the very end of the pre-season when they cut him).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think Nagy is making the right play in supporting Parkey. The guy has talent but is obviously in a funk. I think part of it is, people always underestimate how hard it is to kick in soldier field. The concerning part is, it can be hard to overcome a funk, so while I think an off-season could help cure things, I don't know that the regular season will save him.

And no, cutting Gould was never a good move...I debated many on here at the time, but that is the past. Yes, he lost a game or two for them late one season, but they were not gimme kicks and guys who have excelled like he had deserved the benefit of the doubt. You kick as long as Gould has and you are going to have the occasional off game. All that said, I don't know if Gould would have kicked as good as he has with the Bears...I think the release motivated him to put in additional work and make some corrections that might not have happened if he stayed in Chicago.  

What’s the excuse for him missing in the heat in Miami and him missing in a dome in Arizona?

We now have a miss from 45 in Arizona (dome), from 53 in Miami (hot and humid), 41 vs the Jets (wind and rain), and four short ones vs the Lions (sunny and cold). Where exactly can he make a field goal consistently? The moon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

What’s the excuse for him missing in the heat in Miami and him missing in a dome in Arizona?

We now have a miss from 45 in Arizona (dome), from 53 in Miami (hot and humid), 41 vs the Jets (wind and rain), and four short ones vs the Lions (sunny and cold). Where exactly can he make a field goal consistently? The moon?

Umm....kickers are going to miss field goals. Entering the game against the Lions, I didn't have any massive issue with Parkey.  Was he great, no, was he bad, no.  I'm certainly not going to blast a guy for missing a 53 yard field goal.  Those are not gimme kicks, therefor, he is going to have misses.  The Arizona game was a high percentage shot and the Jets game was ugly so not one you'd like miss, but I can certainly understand it given the conditions.  The Lions game was plain old awful. I'm not even sure what happened or if he just is that uncomfortable with the conditions as it seemed like he thought he made every kick. And usually kickers have a pretty good idea when they hit it, what they've done, so something was amiss yesterday. 

My bigger fear is that at somepoint, these type of games can get in your head (at least for the season) and those memories can be tough to get rid of.    

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Playing conditions can't be much better in LA.   They were handing out face masks this past weekend due to air quality 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to wonder if they still would have moved the game had it been Raiders vs. Buccs, as opposed to the biggest game of the year with the highest over/under in NFL history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at the pictures of that field, there is no way they would let any NFL team play on it.  It looks like a war was fought on it. 

Worse than Soldier field even.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×