Official 2018-19 NFL Thread

pretty surprised people are against this. 

Our DL was looking up but our OLb situation looked like it could be our new Achilles heel, like wr last year and cb year before that.

our d is now very well rounded. This an offensive system that has shown it can excel even with a 12-18 level QB.

they have given everything Nagy/Trubisky need to succeed. If it fails we are in the same trajectory we were in anyway.

but if Nagy is a good coach then playoffs aren’t just the ceiling anymore.

31 minutes ago, bmags said:

pretty surprised people are against this. 

Our DL was looking up but our OLb situation looked like it could be our new Achilles heel, like wr last year and cb year before that.

our d is now very well rounded. This an offensive system that has shown it can excel even with a 12-18 level QB.

they have given everything Nagy/Trubisky need to succeed. If it fails we are in the same trajectory we were in anyway.

but if Nagy is a good coach then playoffs aren’t just the ceiling anymore.

People are against this?

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

People are against this?

They're against it because they think the the 2019 pick is going to be top 15 because the Bears aren't quite there offensively and the NFC(especially the North)  is too good. My question to those people is Why not the Bears? The Packers defense sucks, the Lions are meh. I know the Packers have Rodgers, but I think that the NFCN is wide open and any one of them can rise to the top. Why not the Bears? Their defense could be right there with Minne now. 

In any event, the Bears were going to spend their 2019 1st rounder on an OLB anyway. If you operate under that assumption, the cost isn't that high. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

People are against this?

Any hesitation I had went away when I learned we were getting a 2nd round picks back too. What is the condition for that 2nd raiders pick to come back to us? Based on Mack’s performance or more based upon where the bears picks fall in the draft. 

My main original hesitation was fact that two firsts plus handing over a massive contract is a very steep price to pay and from a depth perspective not having those first round picks the next couple years will impact our overall depth. We won’t have many picks the next two years. 

RT @AdamSchefter: Khalil Mack and the Bears just reached agreeement on a record-setting 6-year, $141 million extension ($23.5M per year avg) that includes $90M guaranteed and $60M at signing, source tells ESPN.

Mack is the new highest-paid defensive player in NFL history.

3 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

RT @AdamSchefter: Khalil Mack and the Bears just reached agreeement on a record-setting 6-year, $141 million extension ($23.5M per year avg) that includes $90M guaranteed and $60M at signing, source tells ESPN.

Mack is the new highest-paid defensive player in NFL history.

Amazing how fast this whole thing has played out! I wonder how much or how little Mack will play in week 1? Hope we don’t rush him and have some injuries show up. 

9 minutes ago, T R U said:

What a horrible trade for the Bears, 2 firsts a third and the largest contract ever for a defensive player. You guys will be regretting this trade in the next few years. 

You forgot that they’re getting a 2nd and a 5th back, too.

10 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

What is the cap hit on this per year? We front loading some? 

Comparing contract and signing bonus, Donald’s is less than $10M annually for the first year or two.

11 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

You forgot that they’re getting a 2nd and a 5th back, too.

Comparing contract and signing bonus, Donald’s is less than $10M annually for the first year or two.

I think that is because Rams backloaded it cause they have no cap space now after paying so many guys. Hoping bears did not back load this deal.

1 hour ago, T R U said:

What a horrible trade for the Bears, 2 firsts a third and the largest contract ever for a defensive player. You guys will be regretting this trade in the next few years. 

Prior to Mack being traded would anyone say it would have required less than this? Was there doubt he’d get a slightly bigger bump than Donald? Was there doubt a trade would look like this?

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

People are against this?

1 hour ago, T R U said:

Hmmm, now we need that lol reaction. 

2 hours ago, T R U said:

And you win the “I just wanted to say something different, even if it’s ridiculous” award.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, iamshack said:

And you win the “I just wanted to say something different, even if it’s ridiculous” award.

As a Dolphins fan, signing Suh was one of my favorite times as a fan. An elite difference maker on the defensive side of the ball. Two years later and you start getting into the 28 million cap hit and your team can’t afford to improve the team the way it needs to be done to compete for a championship. And that was without giving up any draft picks. 

We’ll see what happens but I stand by my statement in 2-3 years you guys will regret the deal. 

41 minutes ago, T R U said:

As a Dolphins fan, signing Suh was one of my favorite times as a fan. An elite difference maker on the defensive side of the ball. Two years later and you start getting into the 28 million cap hit and your team can’t afford to improve the team the way it needs to be done to compete for a championship. And that was without giving up any draft picks. 

We’ll see what happens but I stand by my statement in 2-3 years you guys will regret the deal. 

I get it. But one of the things that squeezed Dolphins was the Tannehill extension in 2015. Once that cap grew it became untenable. Bears structured Mack deal to taper way down if/when they need to extend Trubisky.

one of the reasons they were able to do this was having a rookie QB deal and Floyd on his rookie deal.

31 minutes ago, bmags said:

I get it. But one of the things that squeezed Dolphins was the Tannehill extension in 2015. Once that cap grew it became untenable. Bears structured Mack deal to taper way down if/when they need to extend Trubisky.

one of the reasons they were able to do this was having a rookie QB deal and Floyd on his rookie deal.

Unless I am looking at some bad info, Mack will count 13.8 against the cap this year and then every following year is between 22-24 million cap hit with a potential out after 2021. If Trubisky gets to an extension, you're looking at 25-30 million cap hits right away. Its tough to build a contender with two players taking up that much of the cap while also missing out on first round talent for two consecutive years.

Ill stop raining on the Bears fans parade, but as an outsider I like this deal a lot better for Oakland from an overall asset standpoint. They get a boatload of high end picks and don't have to pay one player a record setting deal.

57 minutes ago, T R U said:

Unless I am looking at some bad info, Mack will count 13.8 against the cap this year and then every following year is between 22-24 million cap hit with a potential out after 2021. If Trubisky gets to an extension, you're looking at 25-30 million cap hits right away. Its tough to build a contender with two players taking up that much of the cap while also missing out on first round talent for two consecutive years.

Ill stop raining on the Bears fans parade, but as an outsider I like this deal a lot better for Oakland from an overall asset standpoint. They get a boatload of high end picks and don't have to pay one player a record setting deal.

You mean in the same way they inexplicably gave Derek Carr a at-the-time record setting deal?

1 hour ago, T R U said:

A boatload of picks?  Meh. You don’t get that chance very often to get one of the top 5 defensive players..if not overall. Nice to see the Bears go for it...

On 9/1/2018 at 4:44 PM, Jack Parkman said:

They're against it because they think the the 2019 pick is going to be top 15 because the Bears aren't quite there offensively and the NFC(especially the North)  is too good. My question to those people is Why not the Bears? The Packers defense sucks, the Lions are meh. I know the Packers have Rodgers, but I think that the NFCN is wide open and any one of them can rise to the top. Why not the Bears? Their defense could be right there with Minne now. 

In any event, the Bears were going to spend their 2019 1st rounder on an OLB anyway. If you operate under that assumption, the cost isn't that high. 

People are talking crazy this past week.