Palka future

zisk

Palka has a trait/skill that is exceptional.  Certainly worth hanging on to in hopes that his deficiencies can at least be minimized and turned into average skills. 
But OBP will always be a tough one to improve in this organization; but he does have some minor league walk pedigree.

I'm ok with him getting another look next year (mostly at the DH spot with a few OF or even 1B starts). Can at the very least be a place holder until we know what we have with some of the corner infield bats in the minors that may be a couple years away.

Edited by soxfan2014

He's got enormous power, but he needs to improve his contact rate.  His swing has quieted down since earlier in the season.  He still has work to do.

Defensively, my son and I call him "Frying Pan Dan" essentially because he's got a cast iron skillet for a glove.  He might look better at 1st base.

All that being said, I wouldn't mind seeing him get another chance next year.  If he could bring up his OBP and continue destroying baseballs, he could be a good option as a DH.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

He's got enormous power, but he needs to improve his contact rate.  His swing has quieted down since earlier in the season.  He still has work to do.

Defensively, my son and I call him "Frying Pan Dan" essentially because he's got a cast iron skillet for a glove.  He might look better at 1st base.

All that being said, I wouldn't mind seeing him get another chance next year.  If he could bring up his OBP and continue destroying baseballs, he could be a good option as a DH.

Ok, death is not an option. You get 1 of these 2 on your roster next year: Davidson or Palka. Who do you go with?

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Ok, death is not an option. You get 1 of these 2 on your roster next year: Davidson or Palka. Who do you go with?

Palka. Matty has had his chances and is what he is. 

I do, however, think both will be on the roster to start the season. And if only one is, it will be Matt, because Palka still has options and Davidson does not. 

1 hour ago, zisk said:

Excellent article about Daniel Palka by Dom Partipilo. He's only 26 and depending on future walk rates, he could really be a big time run producer.

It was a good article. If he can go through a Davidson-esque patience revolution in the offseason then maybe he could be a good DH. You can't teach that exit velocity. 

29 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Palka.  I like the LH bat better, and Davidson has had enough of an opportunity, I think.  

32 minutes ago, tlongo81@gmail.com said:

Palka with another bomb today. Is there any way this kid could be molded into a poor mans version of Kyle Schwarber?

Not sure, but he has always hit at every stop in the minors and he's always taken his walks too. Strike outs will always be high. Is that as big of a problem

as it used to be ?

As badly as the Sox need a middle of the order, LH bat, I hope they give him every chance to succeed. Gee, I wonder where you guys have heard that before?                     He certainly provides that missing "presence" in the lineup.

First base or DH, but he should be in the lineup every game, vs. RHP, the rest of this season, at the very least.

9 minutes ago, South Sider said:

He has definitely earned a shot next year. Let him and Davidson split DH duty and after some time next year if one is clearly outperforming the other, then go with the better hitter.

That said, Davidson is on thin ice with me. This was a prove it year for him and so far he has been pretty bad. 

I think I'd cut bait with Davidson this offseason.  He's as good as he's ever going to get.  Sox can do better.  Unless you start cutting some of this dead weight like Davidson...things won't change.  I like Davidson...but I've seen enough of him in a Sox uni.

I don't think a roster can tolerate both Davidson and Palka.  Could the White Sox alternate putting each on the 10 day DL all season long depending on the projected starters of their opponents?  If it looks like mostly righties for a while, Davidson goes to the DL, then if several lefties, Palka takes his turn?  

19 hours ago, Doc Edwards Shot said:

Palka with another bomb today. Is there any way this kid could be molded into a poor mans version of Kyle Schwarber?

No of course not, just like there's no chance that Moncada will be as good as Kyle is defensively now. That's how this works right?