8/2 Sox v, Royal Lopez pitching

Just now, TaylorStSox said:

Oh relax. I called you out specifically. I'm giving Fathom a hard time, like always. I like Fathom. 

Funny thing is I don't "dislike" either guy in question. Yoan is just a frustrating player to watch right now and brings into question the org's ability to develop young players in the majors.  As for Madrigal, I was just higher on other guys like Kelenic, India or Larnach.  I just have a hard time picking someone with 4th pick that you're generally surprised if they get an extra base hit.  He for sure will start in the majors, but it's hard to see him anywhere but 2nd.

6 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Davidson/Palka now have played combined 156 games...28 doubles, 3 triples, 32 homers.  58 walks, 82 RBI...nearly .800 OPS.   Seems like a fully acceptable DH. 

Maniel Palkidson?

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Funny thing is I don't "dislike" either guy in question. Yoan is just a frustrating player to watch right now and brings into question the org's ability to develop young players in the majors.  As for Madrigal, I was just higher on other guys like Kelenic, India or Larnach.  I just have a hard time picking someone with 4th pick that you're generally surprised if they get an extra base hit.  He for sure will start in the majors, but it's hard to see him anywhere but 2nd.

I thought you were higher on Madrigal because you've made a lot of posts penciling him into 2nd base already, which is probably just more of an indictment of Moncada than praise for Madrigal. I don't really love the Madrigal pick either. The guys his size that do make it are outliers and I don't like placing bets on outliers. 

Just now, TaylorStSox said:

I thought you were higher on Madrigal because you've made a lot of posts penciling him into 2nd base already, which is probably just more of an indictment of Moncada than praise for Madrigal. I don't really love the Madrigal pick either. The guys his size that do make it are outliers and I don't like placing bets on outliers. 

It's more that if you take Madrigal, you have to put him where his glove is plus plus. If not, you're wasting one of his two biggest strengths.  Yoan is not showing enough defensively to deserve to stay there.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

It's more that if you take Madrigal, you have to put him where his glove is plus plus. If not, you're wasting one of his two biggest strengths.  Yoan is not showing enough defensively to deserve to stay there.

That's another reason I don't really like the pick. Moncada and Anderson both have really loud defensive tools. If they can ever improve their fundamentals, they have more upside as a tandem than Anderson and Madrigal. Maybe the Sox aren't optimistic about Yoan ever becoming a fundamentally sound defender. 

17 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

yea if they only played DH.

Yes but if you are putting the pieces together for a team to compete...having Davidson/Palka lefty/righty  DH and occasional fill in at RF/LF/3b/1B is useful.  You don't want them as your stars...but they are youngish/cheap and scary on the team if they are your seventh best hitter (Eloy, Abrea, Avi, Moncado, Anderson, Machado)

26 minutes ago, pcq said:

Looks like Palka might stick around for a while. 

He sure can rip it.  Just a few more walks and hits....get that OBP above .340.  As hard as he swings, he should see enough bad pitches that he should be able to walk twice as often as he doe.

14 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

He sure can rip it.  Just a few more walks and hits....get that OBP above .340.  As hard as he swings, he should see enough bad pitches that he should be able to walk twice as often as he doe.

The good news is he always has walked in the minors. If the game slows down a bit for him with more MLB experience, the walks should go up.

I doubt he'll be hitting this many pinch hit homers all the time though.

3 minutes ago, zisk said:

The good news is he always has walked in the minors. If the game slows down a bit for him with more MLB experience, the walks should go up.

I doubt he'll be hitting this many pinch hit homers all the time though.

Why not play him most days instead of pure platoon; he shows an exceptional skill.  He has a chance to be more than a placeholder.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

1 hour ago, TaylorStSox said:

That's another reason I don't really like the pick. Moncada and Anderson both have really loud defensive tools. If they can ever improve their fundamentals, they have more upside as a tandem than Anderson and Madrigal. Maybe the Sox aren't optimistic about Yoan ever becoming a fundamentally sound defender. 

Or maybe they simply took BPA?  🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1