Hahn Interview

ChiSox59

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/white-sox-talk-podcast-rick-hahn-unplugged-live-remote-podcast Have not listened to it yet, but I’m sure this was covered.

Definitely worth listening to.  Nothing earth shattering, but here are a few notes:

-Continued to say that any prospect is not going to be called up for instant gratification or fan complaints, etc.  He said that they're not going to do anything to jeopardize the long term sustained success of the club.   Take out of that what you please, but IMO, Hahn has been pretty crystal clear about this all along.  He even made a funny comment that now everyone thinks he's an idiot because the guy he acquired is doing so well.  

-Don't expect to see Burger before middle of next season.

-Was asked about under the radar prospects to follow and mentioned Luis Gonzalez and Alex Call.

-Was asked about future RH relievers on the farm.  Mentioned Burdi, Hamilton, Ruiz, Burr and Vieria.  No mention of Fulmer at all, which I found interesting.  Seemed like a good opportunity to touch on his move to the pen.  He did break that Burdi will be pitching in the AZL starting tomorrow and he expects him to be there for the rest of the season.

-They're going to continue to let Moncada develop as a switch hitter, but that moving to exclusively LH is not out of the question in the future.

-The intention with demoting Hansen is for him to working with Zeleski.  The two have previously clicked. 

-WSD asked about big time FAs and if the Sox will be in a position to spend $300M+ to acquire the likes of Machado and Harper.  He did not touch on either of them specifically but said "While I cannot guarantee you that we will land any whale FAs, I can tell you that when the time is right, this club will be in a position to go down swinging."  Mentioned multiple times that they know this club will need to be augmented by FA signings.

-Mentioned prospect for prospect type deals to deal from an area of depth. Said he had a few discussion about them in recent weeks, but that they are tough to do during the season, but they may resurface in the winter.  

-Touched on Bryce Bush and how excited they are about him.  They didn't think they'd be able to get him to sign, but that they were thrilled to be able to get him in the fold.  Said he's a top of the draft talent. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 6

Based on the comment of "cannot guarantee big FA and also when the time is right" I can pretty much guarantee our 1% chance is like .001% chance.

The time isn't even right to bring up Eloy or Kopech according to Hahn, so why in 3 months would it be the right time to spend $300mm? As much as I'd love it, JR isn't signing off on $300mm contracts when your rotation is still 2-3 years from coming together and being competitive. Same with Madrigal, Robert, Collins, etc. Those guys are all 2020 guys. Arenado would be our first real POSSIBLE FA signing.

2 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Based on the comment of "cannot guarantee big FA and also when the time is right" I can pretty much guarantee our 1% chance is like .001% chance.

The time isn't even right to bring up Eloy or Kopech according to Hahn, so why in 3 months would it be the right time to spend $300mm? As much as I'd love it, JR isn't signing off on $300mm contracts when your rotation is still 2-3 years from coming together and being competitive. Same with Madrigal, Robert, Collins, etc. Those guys are all 2020 guys. Arenado would be our first real POSSIBLE FA signing.

I kind of think that what he was alluding to.  Probably won't be players in this FA class (probably at least talk to Machado because the fit), but that 2019 FA class may be different.  

He did say that they'd be looking for more signings in the Wellington Castillo mold to fill gaps while prospects develop.  

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I kind of think that what he was alluding to.  Probably won't be players in this FA class (probably at least talk to Machado because the fit), but that 2019 FA class may be different.  

He did say that they'd be looking for more signings in the Wellington Castillo mold to fill gaps while prospects develop.  

Minus the PEDs part....Rendon would be the other choice next year, after Arenado.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I actually got the opposite impression from listening. He seemed to imply that there are no guarantees that the 2019 guys even reach free agency, so they want to be aggressive with the potential fits who are indeed available.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He specifically referenced OF’s when discussing the prospect for prospect concept and that clearly makes a ton of sense.  3B would definitely be the biggest area of need.

I wouldn't argue with that either.  There is a ton of OF depth in this system.

He specifically referenced OF’s when discussing the prospect for prospect concept and that clearly makes a ton of sense.  3B would definitely be the biggest area of need.

As long as it's not Jimenez, Robert, Adolfo, or Basabe, sign me up. If we miss on the Machado type 3Bs, I can see a Blake Rutherford/Luis Gonzalez/Steele Walker for a top 3B prospect type of move

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

I actually got the opposite impression from listening. He seemed to imply that there are no guarantees that the 2019 guys even reach free agency, so they want to be aggressive with the potential fits who are indeed available.

By that logic there isn't guarantee any of the potential free agents will be free agents.

1 hour ago, BrianAnderson said:

Your take is very wrong IMO.  He specifically mentioned that whale FA’s aren’t always available and it can be smart to take advantage of those opportunities when they present themselves.  And that’s 100% the right approach.  We can’t make on any of the top tier guys signing with us, so the best plan of attack is throwing our money at all of them and hoping we land one of them.  Waiting on Arenado greatly decreases our chances of landing a whale.

Also, it was pretty clear IMO that we’ll be pursuing Machado & Harper this offseason based on Hahn’s overall comments tone.

• Thanks 1

Also, whoever downvoted ChiSox59’s awesome recap of the Hahn podcast should be banned from this site.  Anyone that would do that is a total little b**** and I wish they at least had the courage to come out & explain whatever misguided beef they had with the post.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

By that logic there isn't guarantee any of the potential free agents will be free agents.

I see it more as the chances of Harper/Machado outright re-signing with their current clubs without testing the market are slim, and the chances Arenado/Rendon get extensions earlier are larger 

Between Hahn’s comments in the podcast and his actions during the trade deadline, I think it’s very clear he plans on putting together a respectable club next year and one that could compete in a weak AL Central if enough young guys take leaps forward.  In addition of pursuing the elite guys (Machado & Harper), he made it clear we’ll be very open to adding veterans on short-term deals.  3B, CF, & 1B/DH seem like the areas to me.  Maybe they add a veteran SP too.  Doesn’t sound he views the bullpen as a huge need based on the way he to was hyping up some of our minor league relievers.

• Like 1

Between Hahn’s comments in the podcast and his actions during the trade deadline, I think it’s very clear he plans on putting together a respectable club next year and one that could compete in a weak AL Central if enough young guys take leaps forward.  In addition of pursuing the elite guys (Machado & Harper), he made it clear we’ll be very open to adding veterans on short-term deals.  3B, CF, & 1B/DH seem like the areas to me.  Maybe they add a veteran SP too.  Doesn’t sound he views the bullpen as a huge need based on the way he to was hyping up some of our minor league relievers.

This all screams Josh Donaldson to me.

Machado and Harper are total pipe dreams and will not happen. Donaldson will (most likely) be coming off a down year and could be looking for a shorter-term bounce-back contract. He fits a position of need with the Sox, won't be blocking literally anyone and has big time upside (or, worst-case scenario, flipability). Only thing that gives me pause is he may require losing a draft pick to sign.

8 minutes ago, Buehrlesque said:

This all screams Josh Donaldson to me.

Machado and Harper are total pipe dreams and will not happen. Donaldson will (most likely) be coming off a down year and could be looking for a shorter-term bounce-back contract. He fits a position of need with the Sox, won't be blocking literally anyone and has big time upside (or, worst-case scenario, flipability). Only thing that gives me pause is he may require losing a draft pick to sign.

While I wouldn’t hate Donaldson on a two year cushion type deal, anything long term would scare me. He’s already had the yips of sorts at 3B and has had shoulder issues already. Don’t think he’s a full time 3B more than a couple seasons.

36 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Your take is very wrong IMO.  He specifically mentioned that whale FA’s aren’t always available and it can be smart to take advantage of those opportunities when they present themselves.  And that’s 100% the right approach.  We can’t make on any of the top tier guys signing with us, so the best plan of attack is throwing our money at all of them and hoping we land one of them.  Waiting on Arenado greatly decreases our chances of landing a whale.

Also, it was pretty clear IMO that we’ll be pursuing Machado & Harper this offseason based on Hahn’s overall comments tone.

Sure you can. Just tell Mr. Arenado or Mr. Machado that you will offer 50 million more than any other offer they receive. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Also, whoever downvoted ChiSox59’s awesome recap of the Hahn podcast should be banned from this site.  Anyone that would do that is a total little b**** and I wish they at least had the courage to come out & explain whatever misguided beef they had with the post.

There's been alot of this shit happening around here in various threads and it's gotten old quick. I have no problem with people seeing things differently as long as they discuss it but using that stupid emoji without commenting is pure chicken shit. 

Well done ChiSox59 and thank you for taking the time to summarize Hahn's comments. Much appreciated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Also maybe why he didn't trade Avilan and Cedeno. If we are competing next year it will be nice to have two lefty relievers in the pen that will probably be at least decent and we don't have to trade anything to get them. If we suck again at the deadline next year, then we can deal them and depending on what the market is like the difference of the extra year of control vs being a rental might not even be that big. 

9 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/white-sox-talk-podcast-rick-hahn-unplugged-live-remote-podcast Have not listened to it yet, but I’m sure this was covered.

-Mentioned prospect for prospect type deals to deal from an area of depth. Said he had a few discussion about them in recent weeks, but that they are tough to do during the season, but they may resurface in the winter.  

That's good to hear - the Sox have a lot of the same type of player.