White Sox now #3 Farm System (pipeline/Callis)

caulfield12

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The Twins did eke into the playoffs.  That said, the most comforting is knowing that something like only 3 teams in BA history haven’t made into to the playoffs at least once in the five years following making it to the Top 5.

One thing that’s really hurt the Twins since 2014 is their lack of payroll flexibility. They haven’t been able to sign any upper tier free agents to supplement their farm with the exception of Ervin Santana, which I wouldn’t even consider a top FA signing really. They’ve only increased payroll ~$25MM since 2014 and less than $10MM since 2015. Whereas, the WS should have somewhere in the range of $60MM to increase their team payroll after this season and perhaps even more if they end up trading Abreu and Garcia this winter.

The Mauer deal really hamstrung that franchise...that, and steps backwards for Sano/Buxton and Santana’s health.  Berrios has been very good, but has yet to become a true ace as was predicted.  I know, all progress/improvement is not linear.  That, and moves for “bargain” free agents like Morrison and Lynn really fizzled out.

56 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The Mauer deal really hamstrung that franchise...that, and steps backwards for Sano/Buxton and Santana’s health.  Berrios has been very good, but has yet to become a true ace as was predicted.  I know, all progress/improvement is not linear.  That, and moves for “bargain” free agents like Morrison and Lynn really fizzled out.

Yea, if Moncada, Eloy, and Kopech turn out like 2018 Buxton, Sano, And Berrios, the Sox will find it difficult to compete as well. Thankfully I don’t see that happening but one never truly knows with prospects.

Fortunately they have Cease, Robert and Madrigal to give them a bit of cushion...not to mention four more talented outfielders in Basabe, Adolfo, Rutherford and Gonzalez.  And, finally, the possibility of Burdi getting back on track.

The biggest question is how much they’re willing to open up the checkbook on FA after getting burned over and over again the last decade.

Edited by caulfield12

27 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Fortunately they have Cease, Robert and Madrigal to give them a bit of cushion...not to mention four more talented outfielders in Basabe, Adolfo, Rutherford and Gonzalez.  And, finally, the possibility of Burdi getting back on track.

The biggest question is how much they’re willing to open up the checkbook on FA after getting burned over and over again the last decade.

I disagree. The biggest question is whether or not they can consistently turn these prospects into players. That's the step they're struggling through right now and we don't know how it's going to end. If they can do that part then free agency will take care of itself. You cannot build a team through free agency, you have to start with a strong team or the free agents will not be nearly enough. Some of the guys they sign will work out, one or two might overproduce, several will bust. If they have a strong team around it, then that will be enough. If their minor league talent systematically busts, then the FA signings won't matter.

• Thanks 1

I do think the Braves and SD have some overrated guys. I don't worry about comparisons to Atlanta in particular because we know the entire thing was tainted by cheating. That's not to say the talent isn't real, but that we shouldn't feel bad if they have more of it.

21 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The Braves are loaded but I actually wouldn't the trade the Sox system for theirs currently. I might if I got to keep Albies and Acuna but they are so pitching heavy right now. I'd much rather have the Sox position player core. 

I agree.  And one thing I think has gone unnoticed a bit here is Sox have greatly improved the depth of the system.  They may not be Padres, Braves, Yankees deep just yet, but there are now a good 40+ guys in the conversation when doing a top 30 prospect list.  And that’s primarily related to better drafting.  The one thing really setting us back at this point is our LatAm operations and we should be in better shape there under the new CBA once we exit the penalty box.

3 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

I'm glad we got another starter in there with the Soria deal but we could really use some pitching.

We really have nothing at the ML level besides Lopez who may or may not need to be moved to the bullpen at some point.

I don't know how you can say that. Giolito has a 3.16 ERA in his last 5 starts. He's really turned a corner. Ignore anything LG did before 6/15. Rodon has been really good too. 

22 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't know how you can say that. Giolito has a 3.16 ERA in his last 5 starts. He's really turned a corner. Ignore anything LG did before 6/15. Rodon has been really good too. 

Yeah, that probably too harsh of an assessment while it's impossible to count on Rodon Gio and Lopez for various reasons you probably can probably estimate at least one of them remaining in the rotation longterm

And why should we ignore anything LG did before 6/15? His stuff has gotten better as the season went along at the beginning of the year he was throwing 89-90 MPH now he's regularly hitting 93-94 which is an improvement even the Cinn game his stuff looked good but it's hard count on someone like that moving forward. In alot of ways he reminds me of Tillman.

Edited by wrathofhahn

1 minute ago, wrathofhahn said:

Yeah, that probably too harsh of an assessment while it's impossible to count on Rodon Gio and Lopez for various reasons you probably can probably estimate at least one of them remaining in the rotation longterm

And why should we ignore anything LG did before 6/15? His stuff has gotten better as the season went along at the beginning of the year he was throwing 89-90 MPH now he's regularly hitting 93-94 which is an improvement even the Cinn game his stuff looked good but it's hard count on someone like that moving forward. In alot of ways he reminds me of Tillman.

He was fighting his delivery before about that time. He was flying open and losing velocity and command. Once he stopped doing that, both the command and velocity got much better.