Levine: Eloy to be called up soon, possibly this week

Jose Abreu

27 minutes ago, Chisoxmb35 said:

Yes 2025 does matter. And I don't think the Sox are close to contending in 2020 so I think the question to ask is "Does 2020 really matter?"

You're missing my point. I want, as I'm sure every Sox fan does, that our rebuild leads to sustainable winning. And I feel that if, at the end of 2024, we're sitting around going, "damn, I really wish we had waited to bring Eloy up so we could be good for one more year", then we're doing it wrong. 2025 and 2026 (for the 4/12 crowd) will depend on how we develop the younger guys, and draft new ones.

And I don't see 2020 as out of the question. The Astros, Royals and Cubs all went from shit to great real quick (the Royals even went back to shit). We have a lot of young talent that is either here or knocking on the door. With proper development and a good FA signing or two, do you not think we can win 85+ in two years?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chisoxmb35 said:

Yes 2025 does matter. And I don't think the Sox are close to contending in 2020 so I think the question to ask is "Does 2020 really matter?"

You must have crazily high expectations for what it takes to compete if they don't think the White Sox will even be "close to contending" in 2020.

Yes, 2020 matters.

9 minutes ago, Buehrlesque said:

You must have crazily high expectations for what it takes to compete if they don't think the White Sox will even be "close to contending" in 2020.

Yes, 2020 matters.

They may not be a first place team, but if they're not looking something like what the Braves or Phillies are looking like right now, or the Cubs or Astros in 2015 for alternate examples, that will mean something has gone majorly wrong with the first wave of arrivals. 2020 should have Kopech in his 2nd year, Moncada in his 3rd full year, Jiminez in his 2nd, Giolito in his 3rd, Lopez in his 3rd, Rodon as a veteran, with guys like Collins, Cease having arrived and all of that talent currently down at A-ball somewhere on the doorstep, along with a whole lot of free agent money spent and a number of arrivals in the bullpen. Some of these guys should be talking about all star appearances by that point. Frankly, 2020 is even slower than I thought it was going to be last offseason, I thought there was a good chance at a 2019 breakout where they are back above .500, but that was before all the injuries piled up. If they're not at least knocking on the door by 2020, then that means a whole lot of the first wave of talent has busted, and we might start thinking we did something seriously wrong in how we evaluated or developed these guys.

I am missing the implication there.  Why do you think he isn't happy from the picture?

I am looking at it and seeing a great split section shot of the ball in midflight into his glove.  You can about read the print on the baseball.  That is about as cool of a baseball pic as I have seen in a while.

This is what I meant when I was saying you don't want to piss off prospects. They are human and know when they are getting shafted. Keeping them down til April makes a ton of sense, but may cost us long term if we are not careful. My preference is we call up players when we know in our hearts they are ready, and then spend the next six years figuring out a way to keep them around for a second contract. 

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am missing the implication there.  Why do you think he isn't happy from the picture?

I am looking at it and seeing a great split section shot of the ball in midflight into his glove.  You can about read the print on the baseball.  That is about as cool of a baseball pic as I have seen in a while.

The sad(-ish) face and the checked box emoji in the caption

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's not the photo itself but the checked boxed emoji. 

6 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Someone doesn't seem too happy. And Eloy liked this too

Kopech can be as unhappy as he wants, but there is still development left to be seen. 

His past five starts have shown much better control, issuing only 4 walks, but prior to that he was walking nearly 5 per 9 innings. In AAA he could largely overcome that with pure stuff, but in the majors you will end up paying for walks. Finish strong in AAA and be ready to go for 2019 

17 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

They may not be a first place team, but if they're not looking something like what the Braves or Phillies are looking like right now, or the Cubs or Astros in 2015 for alternate examples, that will mean something has gone majorly wrong with the first wave of arrivals. 2020 should have Kopech in his 2nd year, Moncada in his 3rd full year, Jiminez in his 2nd, Giolito in his 3rd, Lopez in his 3rd, Rodon as a veteran, with guys like Collins, Cease having arrived and all of that talent currently down at A-ball somewhere on the doorstep, along with a whole lot of free agent money spent and a number of arrivals in the bullpen. Some of these guys should be talking about all star appearances by that point. Frankly, 2020 is even slower than I thought it was going to be last offseason, I thought there was a good chance at a 2019 breakout where they are back above .500, but that was before all the injuries piled up. If they're not at least knocking on the door by 2020, then that means a whole lot of the first wave of talent has busted, and we might start thinking we did something seriously wrong in how we evaluated or developed these guys.

Who did we really lose to injury that was going to be counted on being ready for 2019?   Arguably, Dunning and Hansen...certainly not Burger and Robert.  Burdi, I guess.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Maybe he just found out he checked the last box, but can't say anything about it?

I honestly took it as a stale/poker face and him saying he checked a box off from his last start which was probably the walks. He knows he's close.

5 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

This is what I meant when I was saying you don't want to piss off prospects. They are human and know when they are getting shafted. Keeping them down til April makes a ton of sense, but may cost us long term if we are not careful. My preference is we call up players when we know in our hearts they are ready, and then spend the next six years figuring out a way to keep them around for a second contract. 

One thing I don’t quite get is why we can’t afford to piss off prospects but the Cubs have no problem doing so...and it’s pretty difficult to imagine a scenario where Bryant doesn’t stay for the next 5-7 years.

Just feels a bit insecure, lacking in confidence that the Sox organization doesn’t have as much to offer, perhaps?

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It looked like a post for his new GF, who is apparently even more IG famous then the one he just broke up with.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

I honestly took it as a stale/poker face and him saying he checked a box off from his last start which was probably the walks. He knows he's close.

Yeah, I didn't think about reading into it right away.  Honestly at first glance I thought it was an incredible looking baseball picture.  They probably took 1000's of pics to get one that perfect.  Past that you can probably read into it anything you want.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

One thing I don’t quite get is why we can’t afford to piss off prospects but the Cubs have no problem doing so...and it’s pretty difficult to imagine a scenario where Bryant doesn’t stay for the next 5-7 years.

Just feels a bit insecure, lacking in confidence that the Sox organization doesn’t have as much to offer, perhaps?

The Cubs can because they have a great fan base, market, and big time players have signed with them in their primes. We have none of that. As far as your point on confidence, I think that was my point. We need to be confident that we can sign these guys regardless of when we call them up, and not cling to one last year of hope as if we will lose them. 

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yeah, I didn't think about reading into it right away.  Honestly at first glance I thought it was an incredible looking baseball picture.  They probably took 1000's of pics to get one that perfect. 

Yea that Laura Wolff is fantastic at her job, and easy on the eyes might I add. ;)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Yea that Laura Wolff is fantastic at her job, and easy on the eyes might I add. ;)

But guys like Syndegaard and Kopech are supposed to be dating Victoria’s Secret Angels...(until 2-3 years later when they can’t stand the sight of them, see Naomi Campbell.)

She’s 26, that might create a little bit of pressure on the marriage side, which almost no guy is ready for at that age...and she’ll definitely have to leave Charlotte for Chitown to make it work.  

(TMZ Analysis...also avoid all the Kardashians, except Kourtney.) 

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

But guys like Syndegaard and Kopech are supposed to be dating Victoria’s Secret Angels...(until 2-3 years later when they can’t stand the sight of them, see Naomi Campbell.)

She’s 26, that might create a little bit of pressure on the marriage side, which almost no guy is ready for at that age...and she’ll definitely have to leave Charlotte for Chitown to make it work.  

(TMZ Analysis...also avoid all the Kardashians, except Kourtney.) 

Also has nothing to do with the post you are quoting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Buehrlesque said:

Yes, 2020 matters.

Contention for me is the playoffs and the potential to win a series or two. Contention for me is not winning 80 games and "contending" for the division title simply because the rest of the division is bad or not ready to contend.