Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jack Parkman

Offseason trade idea: Sox-Reds

Recommended Posts

If we're so sure that Arenado won't re-sign with Colorado, wouldn't they want to keep Welker to take over at 3B? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

If we're so sure that Arenado won't re-sign with Colorado, wouldn't they want to keep Welker to take over at 3B? 

That's what I was thinking. I can't imagine them trading him and then end up losing Arenado also. I was looking in to Ryan McMahon, but I don't know if he can be trusted at 3B anymore. He seems to be 1B now with some 2B thrown in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

That's what I was thinking. I can't imagine them trading him and then end up losing Arenado also. I was looking in to Ryan McMahon, but I don't know if he can be trusted at 3B anymore. He seems to be 1B now with some 2B thrown in.

But couldn’t they just slide Story or Rodgers over there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

If we're so sure that Arenado won't re-sign with Colorado, wouldn't they want to keep Welker to take over at 3B? 

Welker is still in A+ ball. He might not be ready to assume Arenado’s vacancy in 2020. The Rockies could easily play Rodgers or Story at 3b as soon as next season. Hampson (their #4 prospect) looks like the replacement for DJ at 2b. I don’t see any reason why Welker would be untouchable from their perspective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

But couldn’t they just slide Story or Rodgers over there?

I have a feeling if we miss out on Machado (assuming he's willing to go back to 3B), that the Sox will and should move Moncada back over to 3B again. Yolmer can take over 2B again until Madrigal is ready.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

4 WAR catchers don't come cheap. Also, if trading James Shields for Tatis JR isn't a fireable offense then nothing is. 

4 WAR catchers also don't cost 2 top 50 prospects and another with ace potential unless they come with 5 or 6 years of control.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

4 WAR catchers also don't cost 2 top 50 prospects and another with ace potential unless they come with 5 or 6 years of control.

No kidding and since JT is a free agent after the 2020 season it makes zero sense to unload a bunch of prospects for him from the WS perspective. JT also rates as one of the very worst pitch framers in the game. Hard pass unless they are still looking for a catcher after 2020 when he hits free agency. Who knows how much his defense will have regressed by then though as he heads into his age 30 season in 2021. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I have a feeling if we miss out on Machado (assuming he's willing to go back to 3B), that the Sox will and should move Moncada back over to 3B again. Yolmer can take over 2B again until Madrigal is ready.

I have a feeling Moncada ends up at 3B eventually as well (assuming not big adds).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

To add to the list, I am also extremely skeptical that a team which can't develop position players will suddenly start pumping out a playoff team's worth of position players.  But that is why the idea of a rebuild seemed like an insane proposition to me in the first place, and I can't see putting an aggressive timeline on it being a reasonable idea.

See, it's things like this when they're throw away remarks are exactly why I said that Rick Hahn is the worst GM any of us will ever see. You're right, if they can't develop position players this rebuild won't work, but if they can't develop position players then trying to compete won't work either. Literally, what you just said is a statement that the White Sox will never even make it to .500, even mediocre franchises hanging around .500 like the Nationals can turn out Soto and Turner. When someone says about a baseball team "oh the White Sox just can't develop position players but we're going to be competitive anyway", people should be throwing their hands up and screaming "are you out of your mind?!" Saying "We're going to have lots of strikeouts this year and yada yada yada see how things work in the end" is a great path to a 4th place team every year. "We're a great baseball franchise except for the parts where our guys have to hit the ball, catch the ball, and throw the ball. Oh but we signed the couple of 34 year olds, that should cover it." No one sees how that's something of a fundamental problem? How that's a huge indictment of the people whose job it is to field a baseball team?

"I'm a driver at the Indy 500. I'm the best driver you'll ever see, I just have a problem with left turns". 

"We're a historic NFL franchise, we're one of the best you'll see, well except we have a little problem with our quarterbacks being terrible. Bear down!"

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

See, it's things like this when they're throw away remarks are exactly why I said that Rick Hahn is the worst GM any of us will ever see. You're right, if they can't develop position players this rebuild won't work, but if they can't develop position players then trying to compete won't work either. Literally, what you just said is a statement that the White Sox will never even make it to .500, even mediocre franchises hanging around .500 like the Nationals can turn out Soto and Turner. When someone says about a baseball team "oh the White Sox just can't develop position players but we're going to be competitive anyway", people should be throwing their hands up and screaming "are you out of your mind?!" Saying "We're going to have lots of strikeouts this year and yada yada yada see how things work in the end" is a great path to a 4th place team every year. "We're a great baseball franchise except for the parts where our guys have to hit the ball, catch the ball, and throw the ball. Oh but we signed the couple of 34 year olds, that should cover it." No one sees how that's something of a fundamental problem? How that's a huge indictment of the people whose job it is to field a baseball team?

"I'm a driver at the Indy 500. I'm the best driver you'll ever see, I just have a problem with left turns". 

"We're a historic NFL franchise, we're one of the best you'll see, well except we have a little problem with our quarterbacks being terrible. Bear down!"

Grab the torches and have fun!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

See, it's things like this when they're throw away remarks are exactly why I said that Rick Hahn is the worst GM any of us will ever see. You're right, if they can't develop position players this rebuild won't work, but if they can't develop position players then trying to compete won't work either. Literally, what you just said is a statement that the White Sox will never even make it to .500, even mediocre franchises hanging around .500 like the Nationals can turn out Soto and Turner. When someone says about a baseball team "oh the White Sox just can't develop position players but we're going to be competitive anyway", people should be throwing their hands up and screaming "are you out of your mind?!" Saying "We're going to have lots of strikeouts this year and yada yada yada see how things work in the end" is a great path to a 4th place team every year. "We're a great baseball franchise except for the parts where our guys have to hit the ball, catch the ball, and throw the ball. Oh but we signed the couple of 34 year olds, that should cover it." No one sees how that's something of a fundamental problem? How that's a huge indictment of the people whose job it is to field a baseball team?

"I'm a driver at the Indy 500. I'm the best driver you'll ever see, I just have a problem with left turns". 

"We're a historic NFL franchise, we're one of the best you'll see, well except we have a little problem with our quarterbacks being terrible. Bear down!"

The White Sox cause you so much angst.  Try having a positive outlook - you'll probably enjoy what should be a hobby quite a bit more.  

  • lol 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I have a feeling if we miss out on Machado (assuming he's willing to go back to 3B), that the Sox will and should move Moncada back over to 3B again. Yolmer can take over 2B again until Madrigal is ready.

I really do like Yolmer, and he's a great guy to have around that can play a ton of positions and fill in full time for a few weeks if a guy goes on the DL.  But I will be fairly disapointed if the Sox plan on Yolmer being the everyday 3B or 2B in 2019 or 2020. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2018 at 10:34 AM, ChiSox59 said:

The White Sox cause you so much angst.  Try having a positive outlook - you'll probably enjoy what should be a hobby quite a bit more.  

Nothing he said is incorrect. Balta is killing it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Nothing he said is incorrect. Balta is killing it. 

Say Rick Hahn is the worst GM in MLB history is correct? Lolz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 11:02 PM, southsider2k5 said:

Last I checked the Cubs had something like double the Sox revenues.  Someone's net worth is absolutely pointless here, especially when that net worth isn't cash.

Where is Stan Kronke when you need him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×