Top 30 White Sox Prospects, Midseason 2018 - FULL LIST

NorthSideSox72

For me, the biggest surprise is Rutherford.  While he is having a better year, I still don't think he justifies being as high as he is with some of the guys behind him  Honestly if you told me to pick an OF from Rutherford down the list, I would take Luis Gonzalez first and not even think about it.  At this stage I think Rutherford should be closer to #20 than #10.

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

For me, the biggest surprise is Rutherford.  While he is having a better year, I still don't think he justifies being as high as he is with some of the guys behind him  Honestly if you told me to pick an OF from Rutherford down the list, I would take Luis Gonzalez first and not even think about it.  At this stage I think Rutherford should be closer to #20 than #10.

In fairness to Rutherford, he did just recently turn 21 in May and is putting up over a .800 OPS and wRC+ of 124 at high A (-1.4 years younger than average players at the level). The power has not shown up yet, but the overall skill set it solid. He seems like the type of player who will play all of 2019 at AA, and ideally start 2020 at AAA. If power ever comes he is certainly back into the top prospect mix. 

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Ranking the outfielders in the system beyond Eloy/Robert is a really difficult proposition. It's really pick your flavor on floor versus raw tools and ceiling. I'd have Gonzalez over Rutherford, but it is important to remember Rutherford is nearly two years younger than Gonzalez and showing substantial improvement this year.

1 hour ago, steveno89 said:

In fairness to Rutherford, he did just recently turn 21 in May and is putting up over a .800 OPS and wRC+ of 124 at high A (-1.4 years younger than average players at the level). The power has not shown up yet, but the overall skill set it solid. He seems like the type of player who will play all of 2019 at AA, and ideally start 2020 at AAA. If power ever comes he is certainly back into the top prospect mix. 

For real.  Rutherford has been pretty damn good this year.  

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It isn't even that Rutherford hasn't been good, it is that Gonzalez is looking better.

Gonzalez is nearly two years older than Rutherford as well though, which has to be taken into consideration. I get that Gonzalez' speed and defense give him the edge right now. 

Upper minors performance and continued development will determine their fates. 

14 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It isn't even that Rutherford hasn't been good, it is that Gonzalez is looking better.

Gonzalez has been great and I am super excited about him. But to say Rutherford should be closer to 20 than 10 is a bit harsh IMO.  He's been very good this year and is still just 21.  

Great work as always guys!

The biggest issue I have is with Dunning behind Collins.  To me, Dunning is a sure fire major league SP, whereas Collins has big question marks around his defense & some smaller concerns with his swing & miss issues.  I know Dunning is out with an elbow injury, but IMO until we hear the words Tommy John he’s the clear #6 prospect in the system behind the first five you listed.

20 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Great work as always guys!

The biggest issue I have is with Dunning behind Collins.  To me, Dunning is a sure fire major league SP, whereas Collins has big question marks around his defense & some smaller concerns with his swing & miss issues.  I know Dunning is out with an elbow injury, but IMO until we hear the words Tommy John he’s the clear #6 prospect in the system behind the first five you listed.

As a group we are definitely a smidge higher than most national publications on Collins too. Time will tell, but Dunning is a high floor and lower ceiling guy for me, with Collins a much higher ceiling value and lower but not super-low floor. A year from now that may end up looking silly, it happens, but I'll stick with it for now. Certainly the two were very close in our voting.

45 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

As a group we are definitely a smidge higher than most national publications on Collins too. Time will tell, but Dunning is a high floor and lower ceiling guy for me, with Collins a much higher ceiling value and lower but not super-low floor. A year from now that may end up looking silly, it happens, but I'll stick with it for now. Certainly the two were very close in our voting.

I’m actually higher than most on Collins, but I just feel like Dunning has a very good chance of being a #3 caliber starter in the majors.  I think the stuff is a bit underrated around here and he’s got plus plus makeup.  If Collins had a better chance of sticking at C, I would have it your way, but reports this year have generally been disappointing in that regard.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m actually higher than most on Collins, but I just feel like Dunning has a very good chance of being a #3 caliber starter in the majors.  I think the stuff is a bit underrated around here and he’s got plus plus makeup.  If Collins had a better chance of sticking at C, I would have it your way, but reports this year have generally been disappointing in that regard.

I have Collins at #6 in the system. He has a 140 wRC+ in AA and I love his offensive profile. Even if he's a part-time catcher, 1B, DH his offensive skill-set still makes him a prospect. I really like Dunning as well but his injury has left me with some uncertainty obviously. 

22 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Gonzalez has been great and I am super excited about him. But to say Rutherford should be closer to 20 than 10 is a bit harsh IMO.  He's been very good this year and is still just 21.  

Wise man once said (many times actually) that power is the last tool to develop. I would have a very difficult time find 15-19 prospects in the Sox system that  I would rate above Rutherford.  

Gonzalez is doing some things better than Rutherford, but he is also a year and a half older in the same league.  I think having them rated pretty close together makes a lot of sense.    

Edited by turnin' two