Coming to Chicago-advice on travel from Waukegan

kwolf68

Hey guys-Wasn't sure where to put this, but my son is finishing basic training for the Navy this week and we're driving from Pittsburgh to Chicago. Our hotel is in Waukegan. I was going to drive around, but the guy told my wife if we go into the city to take the train. 

Is there a train direct from Waukegan to the GRF exit? What is a good way to navigate there. Any decent places to eat/hang near the stadium? I have not been in Chicago since the last games of old Comiskey. What I did then was direct flight hotel, cab ride and basically stayed in my room the entire time. I was alone as my friend had stood me up, but had a nice time with fans at the games (versus Seattle). 

I have not decided if I am going to the Friday or Saturday game or both. I want to goto Friday's game because Rodon is pitching against Beiber, but we may opt for Saturday instead although that pitching matchup (Bauer v Shields) is much less palatable as a Sox fan. 

This involved my family of 5 and while my daughter hates baseball (yea I don't get it either) the other 3 are looking forward to it. Thanks for any advice.

Moderators, feel free to move this to another forum if necessary. 

18 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

Hey guys-Wasn't sure where to put this, but my son is finishing basic training for the Navy this week and we're driving from Pittsburgh to Chicago. Our hotel is in Waukegan. I was going to drive around, but the guy told my wife if we go into the city to take the train. 

Is there a train direct from Waukegan to the GRF exit? What is a good way to navigate there. Any decent places to eat/hang near the stadium? I have not been in Chicago since the last games of old Comiskey. What I did then was direct flight hotel, cab ride and basically stayed in my room the entire time. I was alone as my friend had stood me up, but had a nice time with fans at the games (versus Seattle). 

I have not decided if I am going to the Friday or Saturday game or both. I want to goto Friday's game because Rodon is pitching against Beiber, but we may opt for Saturday instead although that pitching matchup (Bauer v Shields) is much less palatable as a Sox fan. 

This involved my family of 5 and while my daughter hates baseball (yea I don't get it either) the other 3 are looking forward to it. Thanks for any advice.

Moderators, feel free to move this to another forum if necessary. 

There is no train directly from Waukegan to Sox Park. You will have to take the Metra train from Waukegan to Ogilive Station in the loop. From Ogilive, you can hop on either the Green Line or the Red line ( subway train). Both lines have stops near the stadium although the Red Line stop is much closer. You could also just Uber from the Loop to the Stadium. 

There are a couple of bars directly attached to the stadium that you can pre-game at. One is directly attached to Gate 5. Be prepared to pay ballpark prices for drinks and food though. 

Marias ( https://www.yelp.com/biz/marias-packaged-goods-and-community-bar-chicago) and Mitchells ( http://www.mitchellstap.net/menu/) are two neighborhood bars that are about a mile west of the Stadium off Halsted. I would check these places out if you have time. You will defintely be hanging with some Bridgeport locals if you go to Mitchells. 

Saturday is the Jim Thome Bobblehead game! 

Have fun and safe travels! 

If I were pre-gaming and coming by train I would do Cork & Kerry or Turtles, both on 33rd just north of the park.  Mitchells and Buffalo Wings & Rings on Halsted are a little further west.  Maria's (31st & Morgan) if you like craft beer and have the time.  The bar at Gate 5 is decent enough but you definitely pay ballpark prices.

Edited by SouthWallace

Metra train into the city and red line to the park is the easiest way to go so you don’t deal with traffic. Just check out the metra schedule. 

Also, while staying in Waukegan, make sure you go to the Quonset for an excellent, classic tavern thin crust pizza. 

• Like 1

I grew up in Waukegan going to Sox games as a kid, and I will vouch for basically what everyone was saying. Take the Metra to Ogilvie (which is the last stop). I'm sure your son knows this, but there is a train station in both North Chicago and Waukegan. You'll want to purchase the weekend pass if you go on Saturday, as that is $10 a person and unlimited rides (which basically pays for you both ways). You will need cash.

It is a bit of a walk to get to the red line, but it's not bad. About 15 minutes. What you do is once you get to Ogilvie, take the escalators down, then go out of the building through the exit by the Subway restaurant (which is behind the escalators I believe). That will take you out to Washington Street. Turn right onto Washington and walk all the way down to State. State street is where the closest Red Line Subway ("L") is. Once you get on the train, pay Attention to the actual Red Line stop, because the name of the stop isn't "State St." stop, it's "Lake" I believe. That way you remember which one to get off at when you come back. It will make sense once you get on the train. Take the Red Line to "Sox 35th" which is toward 95th/Dan Ryan. That will dump you right out at the park. When you're finished you just back track to Ogilvie.

Here is the link to the Metra Schedule https://metrarail.com/maps-schedules/train-lines/UP-N

The Red Line comes and goes like every 10 minutes. That one you can use your credit/debit card for. Or cash if you prefer.

That's what I did all the time as a kid with my dad, and in fact I am doing it again this weekend on Saturday! Although I am getting on at Lake Forest. Maybe our paths will cross :) 

You can also just Uber or Lyft over to the park from Ogilvie like the other poster said. Probably not too much more expensive than the trains, maybe even less so, but less of an adventure ;) 

Hope this helps. Have fun!!

Edited by Scoots

3 hours ago, jimsorgi said:

Metra train into the city and red line to the park is the easiest way to go so you don’t deal with traffic. Just check out the metra schedule. 

Also, while staying in Waukegan, make sure you go to the Quonset for an excellent, classic tavern thin crust pizza. 

Quonset is excellent. A must-have in Waukegan, especially their sausage pizza. Mike's pizza is my personal favorite in Waukegan. A little hole-in-the-wall pizza joint, only take-out (wouldn't have them deliver), service isn't always the greatest, but man do they know how to make a thin crust pizza.

34 minutes ago, Scoots said:

I grew up in Waukegan going to Sox games as a kid, and I will vouch for basically what everyone was saying. Take the Metra to Ogilvie (which is the last stop). I'm sure your son knows this, but there is a train station in both North Chicago and Waukegan. You'll want to purchase the weekend pass if you go on Saturday, as that is $10 a person and unlimited rides (which basically pays for you both ways). You will need cash.

It is a bit of a walk to get to the red line, but it's not bad. About 15 minutes. What you do is once you get to Ogilvie, take the escalators down, then go out of the building through the exit by the Subway restaurant (which is behind the escalators I believe). That will take you out to Washington Street. Turn right onto Washington and walk all the way down to State. State street is where the closest Red Line Subway ("L") is. Once you get on the train, pay Attention to the actual Red Line stop, because the name of the stop isn't "State St." stop, it's "Lake" I believe. That way you remember which one to get off at when you come back. It will make sense once you get on the train. Take the Red Line to "Sox 35th" which is toward 95th/Dan Ryan. That will dump you right out at the park. When you're finished you just back track to Ogilvie.

Here is the link to the Metra Schedule https://metrarail.com/maps-schedules/train-lines/UP-N

The Red Line comes and goes like every 10 minutes. That one you can use your credit/debit card for. Or cash if you prefer.

That's what I did all the time as a kid with my dad, and in fact I am doing it again this weekend on Saturday! Although I am getting on at Lake Forest. Maybe our paths will cross :) 

You can also just Uber or Lyft over to the park from Ogilvie like the other poster said. Probably not too much more expensive than the trains, maybe even less so, but less of an adventure ;) 

Hope this helps. Have fun!!

Great stuff. I'll have this handy. Thanks man

Just now, iWiN4PreP said:

I want to also add that Friday's game is Fireworks night. That's a fantastic way to end the game as the W'Sox fireworks display is pretty awesome. 

I am trying to talk wife into going Friday night if we're doing just the one game. I'd much rather watch Rodon v. Beiber than Shields against Bauer.

Reminds me of my first ever White Sox game I saw live (in Baltimore) in 1983....all that great pitching that team had and I got stuck with randy freaking martz. 

15 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

Looks like the Metra runs from Chicago OTC about 11PM and 12:30 AM, those will be the after the game.

Is our walk from the Metra stop to the red line in a decent area? 

The walk from Metra/Ogilvie to the Red Line subway is downtown.  Should still be plenty of other foot traffic on a Friday or Saturday evening.

Edited by SouthWallace

Just now, SouthWallace said:

The walk from Metra/Ogilvie to the Red Line subway is downtown.  Should still be plenty of other foot traffic on a Friday or Saturday evening.

Yea as soon as the game is over we're gonna trek back to Waukegan. 

1 hour ago, kwolf68 said:

:cheers ....now I just want a good game. I SO want to go on Friday instead, but may get outvoted. 

Its kind of a toss up. Better pitching matchup Friday and fireworks show, but Saturday is an earlier game but a worse pitching matchup, however it's Thome Day (reason I am going). Bauer will probably shut out the Sox. Hoping Eloy and Kopech are up by then, but that's probably wishful thinking.

Just now, Scoots said:

Its kind of a toss up. Better pitching matchup Friday and fireworks show, but Saturday is an earlier game but a worse pitching matchup, however it's Thome Day (reason I am going). Bauer will probably shut out the Sox. Hoping Eloy and Kopech are up by then, but that's probably wishful thinking.

Yea I was hoping for Eloy at least,  tough first pitcher to face, but it would be awesome. 

Edited by kwolf68

If I were you I would drive and go to the game on saturday. I lived in north chicago (right by base) for 10 years and taking a metra to ogilve and then the red line is going to be a REALLY long train commute. Driving on a saturday will take you about an hour to the park and probably an hour and a half on the way back (added half hour for getting out of parking lot) Driving down on a friday night will be a disaster but probably the train/walk/el is even a longer commute. Better yet if you can go on a sunday where tickets and parking are half price. Also quonset is good but not my favorite. A hidden gem in the area is big eds bbq in waukegan.

Just now, mueron2000 said:

If I were you I would drive and go to the game on saturday. I lived in north chicago (right by base) for 10 years and taking a metra to ogilve and then the red line is going to be a REALLY long train commute. Driving on a saturday will take you about an hour to the park and probably an hour and a half on the way back (added half hour for getting out of parking lot) Driving down on a friday night will be a disaster but probably the train/walk/el is even a longer commute. Better yet if you can go on a sunday where tickets and parking are half price. Also quonset is good but not my favorite. A hidden gem in the area is big eds bbq in waukegan.

Will keep Big Eds in mind. How long will the train commute be? I almost rather drive, but I don't know. Last time I was in Chicago it was plane, cab, hotel, games, etc.

Is Friday drive bad because of work flow traffic? Fridays tend to be busy in the big cities. 

Edited by kwolf68