8/8 GT - NYY @ Sox - Severino vs Giolito

A win tonite means we played the Yanx almost even. Meanwhile we have two guys who came to the Sox and improved their hitting in Omar and Palka. I would give Moncada a rest and suggest maybe he crowds the plate as a lefty. 

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Another ball called a strike against Moncada. 1-2 count should’ve been 2-1. That pitch is called a ball 89% of the time.

This is really tiring. Is there any point where Moncada is actually held responsible for his failures, or are we just going to blame his struggles on umpires? He can get better and he can continue to develop, but we can't just treat him like a golden boy. Right now, he's struck out 17 times in his last 29 PAs. That is NOT the umpires' fault.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Another ball called a strike against Moncada. 1-2 count should’ve been 2-1. That pitch is called a ball 89% of the time.

And another at bat though where he takes fastballs and swings at offspeed pitches. If he doesn't change things up, this collapse will continue.

3 minutes ago, The Sir said:

This is really tiring. Is there any point where Moncada is actually held responsible for his failures, or are we just going to blame his struggles on umpires? He can get better and he can continue to develop, but we can't just treat him like a golden boy. Right now, he's struck out 17 times in his last 29 PAs. That is NOT the umpires' fault.

When did I say it was? 

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

When did I say it was? 

I'd say you strongly implied it, and IIRC, you were talking about his strike zone yesterday too. I just don't get why the umpires get any mention is this. Right now, the kid is playing terribly.

I don't want to demote him and I don't want to bench him, because he needs reps, but I don't want to make excuses for him either. His game needs serious work.

5 minutes ago, The Sir said:

It's just straight up denial at this point. It's much easier to handle his collapse by having a scapegoat. Blame the umps, blame the weather,  blame the stars...

1 minute ago, The Sir said:

I'd say you strongly implied it, and IIRC, you were talking about his strike zone yesterday too. I just don't get why the umpires get any mention is this. Right now, the kid is playing terribly.

I don't want to demote him and I don't want to bench him, because he needs reps, but I don't want to make excuses for him either. His game needs serious work.

I mean, the difference between a 2-1 count and a 1-2 count is pretty massive.

Obviosuly he’s in a funk and this doesn’t happen EVERY at bat, but it would be just as ridiculous to ignore him getting screwed over on obvious balls as it would be to act like they’re the sole reason he’s in a slump. 

3 minutes ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

It's just straight up denial at this point. It's much easier to handle his collapse by having a scapegoat. Blame the umps, blame the weather,  blame the stars...

I just don't get it. Do we want him to get better or do we just want him to be protected? We keep hearing about his amazing batting eye, but honestly, when you strike out looking as much as he does, I question how amazing it is. He needs to be more aggressive early in counts because his splits bear out that he is actually successful in those situations. When he gets two strikes on him, however, he is up shit-creek, batting eye be damned.

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

I mean, the difference between a 2-1 count and a 1-2 count is pretty massive.

Obviosuly he’s in a funk and this doesn’t happen EVERY at bat, but it would be just as ridiculous to ignore him getting screwed over on obvious balls as it would be to act like they’re the sole reason he’s in a slump. 

I agree with you, but at the end of the day he needs to earn the umps’ respect on close calls and until then he needs to protect the plate.  I may be Moncada’a biggest supporter on this board, but doing nothing will not solve the problem.

15 minutes ago, The Sir said:

When you have been called out somewhere around 40 times on pitches out of the zone, you are wrong.