8/8 GT - NYY @ Sox - Severino vs Giolito

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

When you have been called out somewhere around 40 times on pitches out of the zone, you are wrong.

Cool. So we traded the best pitcher in White Sox history for a dude who will strike out 230 times with a sub .700 OPS, but it's OK because the umps hate this one guy for some reason and gyp him constantly. Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?

3 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

If you're judging the quality of "stuff" by metrics, and not with your eye, you're already behind. You only like pitchers that throw 98+ and he doesn't. 

Both suck. His fastball spin rate is terrible, he can't throw his curve for a strike.  He's pretty much having an epically bad season for a starting pitcher in the post-steroid era.

2 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Cool. So we traded the best pitcher in White Sox history for a dude who will strike out 230 times with a sub .700 OPS, but it's OK because the umps hate this one guy for some reason and gyp him constantly. Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?

Exactly what reaction are you looking for? 

3 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Do you know ridiculous a temper tantrum is in place of actual facts? 

Just now, fathom said:

Both suck. His fastball spin rate is terrible, he can't throw his curve for a strike.  He's pretty much having an epically bad season for a starting pitcher in the post-steroid era.

I wouldn't consider the last 2 years the "post-steroid," that's for sure. There's so much juice running through baseball right now that I'm feeling the pump just watching games. But yeah, he sucks right now. He's got good stuff though. 

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

It took me ten minutes of listening to the Cooper podcast with Chuck to realize why Cooper needs to go. He said he doesn't care if our pitchers strike out hitters.  In today's baseball, you need that.  What a heartless effort by Lucas.

I think the game has passed him by personally. 

2 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Exactly what reaction are you looking for? 

Uh, I'll take "Reactions that don't rationalize and excuse failure for people who made $31.5 million to play a game" for $1,000, Alec.

• Like 1

Just now, fathom said:

His fastball is average IMO.  The problem is he needs to be able to command it and have all his off-speed stuff working to be a good pitcher.  That guy exists at times, but he just seems to get in his head far too often.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

His fastball is average IMO.  The problem is he needs to be able to command it and have all his off-speed stuff working to be a good pitcher.  That guy exists at times, but he just seems to get in his head far too often.

It has a neg 12.8 value on fangraphs. Might be the single worst pitch anyone has in baseball in terms of value.

Just now, The Sir said:

Uh, I'll take "Reactions that don't rationalize and excuse failure for people who made $31.5 million to play a game" for $1,000, Alec.

You realize we don't have any influence on the actual games, right? Like, what do you want people to say? I'll do my part. "Oh my God, the White Sox suck and Moncada looks real bad right now!" Better? 

1 minute ago, fathom said:

It has a neg 12.8 value on fangraphs. Might be the single worst pitch anyone has in baseball in terms of value.

That’s because he’a struggled to command it and serves up a ton of meatballs when he falls behind.  He also wasn’t at 94 MPH earlier this season.