Narvaez - what’s the ceiling here?

Greg Hibbard

Welington has absolutely clobbered LHP in his career, so it would make a very effective platoon if Narvaez keeps this up.  

I don't see the Sox just cutting bait on Castillo, and I don't see there being much interest in his services on the trade market this winter.  

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

No way they should try and trade him, they have a club option right?  Have to think they could get a decent prospect for him.

No, he's sign thru 2019 at $7.5M next season, and an option for 2020. 

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

Even better, he looks like a pretty good value at those prices and terms.

I kind of doubt he will have any trade value coming off a season in which he spent 90% of it on the shelf suspended, and I don't see him getting much more than spot PT in September.  

But yah, he's certainly not breaking the bank. I'd probably hold onto him and cut bait on Smith, even though I like the guy and wish we could keep him in AAA but he is out of options. 

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I kind of doubt he will have any trade value coming off a season in which he spent 90% of it on the shelf suspended, and I don't see him getting much more than spot PT in September.  

But yah, he's certainly not breaking the bank. I'd probably hold onto him and cut bait on Smith, even though I like the guy and wish we could keep him in AAA but he is out of options. 

Yea I like Smith as a backup but right now he's the odd guy out, the Sox actually have pretty good depth at C.

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yea I like Smith as a backup but right now he's the odd guy out, the Sox actually have pretty good depth at C.

A combination of Castillo/Narvaez seems pretty solid for 2019. Smith is likely odd man out, and Zavala/Collins/Mercedes give us depth in the system. 

That scenario of Castillo/Narvaez is fine, for next year, as long as they give almost all of the starts, vs. RHP to Omar. He has earned it. My only reservation is whether his defense is good enough. He seems capable enough handling pitchers. 

Edited by Lillian