Prospect Focus - Bryce Bush, w/ quotes (from many) and video

NorthSideSox72

Lots of people have been talking up Bryce Bush lately. So James (Y2Jimmy) dug in on a focus piece. He interviewed Bryce, plus his high school coaches (two of them), his signing scout, and Nick Hostetler. And we talked with his agent. And have video, and photos.

Here is 3300 words of in-depth coverage of Bryce. Not sure anyone has ever written 3300 words about a 33rd round pick in rookie ball, but there it is!

To add to the article and cold weather, this was absolutely one of the worst spring sports seasons I can ever remember seeing.  We had so many games cancelled and postponed locally I can see it being probable that a lot of scouts didn't get to see Bush play this year.  It was BRUTAL until pretty much May.  We ran entire track meets, baseball and softball games with temps under freezing.

Great article, Jimmy.  Really informative.

I'm still surprised he lasted until Round 33.  Not complaining though.

As I recall, we have one poster who raved about Bush shortly after we drafted him.  Who was that guy?

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Yeah, I totally get that. I’m just asking why round 33 was the time to pull the trigger. Why not wait until round 35? Why not earlier, say round 30?

IIRC, the Bush pick started a string of HS picks. I think they got thru the guys they knew they could sign and wanted, then moved on to the lottery tickets. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

They did elude to signability in the article. 

Also eluded to the fact he said he wanted to sign if he was drafted according to the area scout Justin Wechsler....so a few teams dropped the ball if he becomes pretty good.  But the question still begs...if you knew you wanted him...why wait that long?

Thanks for reading guys. I appreciate the positive response. My biggest takeaway from talking to everyone was that Hostetler really lets his people work on day three. He builds credibility and encourages strong work ethic by rewarding guys for their hard work all year. Other area scouts mentioned to Bryce Bush after the fact that their organizations wouldn't take him or set aside the $$ to sign him without seeing him in person. Many scouting directors and cross-checkers just didn't have to the time to see an athletic prep player in Michigan in late May and early June. Hostetler deserves credit for trusting Wechsler in this case. 

• Thanks 3