8/10 Games

soxfan49

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Noice. I'm really high on Gonzalez. The Sox are just absolutely loaded with quality OF prospects. For the purpose of this exercise, I'm not counting Jimenez. 

Robert

Rutherford 

Gonzalez

Basabe

Walker 

Adolfo 

Call. 

And that isn't even including the Sox Best OF prospect

This will make trading for Arenado easier.

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Why trade for him when you give up nothing if you wait a year?

Yeah I'd wait too. Arenado would cost a fortune in a trade and I'm not willing to pay that high cost on an assumption Arenado would be willing to sign an extension with the rebuilding White Sox.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Because you fear if another team trades for him midseason that he never makes it to the open market.

A bigger fear would be trading for him and watching him walk.  I would much rather take chances in the offseason

11 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Because you fear if another team trades for him midseason that he never makes it to the open market.

When is the last time a major free agent signed with the team that traded for him ? There's a chance it happens with Machado and the Dodgers but I think Dodgers still had a shot at him as a free agent regardless. They just wanted him to try to win a World Series this year. The Sox are not in that position. This seems to be always brought up never happens.

19 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

When is the last time a major free agent signed with the team that traded for him ? There's a chance it happens with Machado and the Dodgers but I think Dodgers still had a shot at him as a free agent regardless. They just wanted him to try to win a World Series this year. The Sox are not in that position. This seems to be always brought up never happens.

Perhaps Arenado is more open to staying with the team, unlike Machado and some guys of the past, who seem completely against it.

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

Perhaps Arenado is more open to staying with the team, unlike Machado and some guys of the past, who seem completely against it.

We don't know that though. The risk outweighs the reward. The white sox aren't a top FA destination typically. If Hahn trades big-time prospects for Arenado and then he leaves in FA, Hahn gets grilled like there is no tomorrow. 

Just now, Hot FiRe said:

We don't know that though. The risk outweighs the reward. The white sox aren't a top FA destination typically. If Hahn trades big-time prospects for Arenado and then he leaves in FA, Hahn gets grilled like there is no tomorrow. 

At times, professional athletes are vocal about their intentions. Machado has made it clear he's not open to it. Maybe Arenado will say that he is depending on the destination. If it's the latter, I would imagine Hahn would inquire if Chicago is one of the destinations that he would consider. If not, obviously the trade shouldn't be made.

Just now, soxfan49 said:

At times, professional athletes are vocal about their intentions. Machado has made it clear he's not open to it. Maybe Arenado will say that he is depending on the destination. If it's the latter, I would imagine Hahn would inquire if Chicago is one of the destinations that he would consider. If not, obviously the trade shouldn't be made.

Unless it is a sign and trade, we essentially give him the upper hand. The Sox commit to resigning him at whatever cost it takes. Like most players, he will sign for the most money. The Sox basically have to have the highest bid then. Not a fan of that strategy. What players has that worked with? Im sure there are a couple of examples. 

Arenado is 2 years older than Machado and will be the gem of the 2019 FA class (if he even makes it. He will be paid the same if not more than Machado IMO.Hahn is better off going all in on Machado and paying the man with an opt out after 3 years.

• bmags unpinned this topic
5 hours ago, TheTruth05 said:

Arenado is 2 years older than Machado and will be the gem of the 2019 FA class (if he even makes it. He will be paid the same if not more than Machado IMO.Hahn is better off going all in on Machado and paying the man with an opt out after 3 years.

With the lack of progress from our first wave, if you give the guy an opt out after 3 years, that's 2019, 2020, and 2021. Feel like we're ready to compete in the first 2 of those years? I'm not even sure about year 3 right now, not until we see some progress.