A Fake GM's Rebuild To-Do List

Flash

As a certified fake GM, I hereby posit my 2 cents on the WS rebuild. First, it appears our future strength will be young pitching...hence I would be scouring for a defensively gifted catcher to mold and support our youngsters. Three minor leaguers worth noting are Sean Murphy (Oakland), Will Smith (Dodgers) and Andrew Knizner (Cardinals)...none of them will come cheap. Of the 3, I prefer Smith due to his ability to also play 3B on occasion. 

Now...to address area of greatest need, middle IF. I am not a fan of either Anderson or Moncada but between them, I would show more patience with Moncada. That said, I would shift him to 3B now and determine if he can stick there. I believe he can. Let Yolmer play 2B or bring up Rondon to finish year. If Moncada can cut it at 3rd, great. If not, I don't see much use in keeping him, especially if he might still hold any trade value. I'm guessing we can find a free agent who can hold down 3rd until Burger, Bush or ?? are ready. If needed, FA 3B are generally not too hard to come by. As far as Anderson, I get the fact he is athletic and fast afoot but, for me (remember I'm a fake GM), he is too unreliable. I would seek to trade him (see above 3 noteworthy catchers to target). I'm okay with him as a placeholder on a rebuilding team but I sure hope he isn't our SS two years from now (although I fear he will be). Hopefully we can find a defensive-minded SS for at least as long as it takes for Rivera or Sosa to arrive.

2nd base is Madrigal unless he flops, which I doubt happens. 1B is Collins' although I prefer a LH fielder at 1B. Collins also holds value as a backup catcher and occasional DH vs. RH pitchers. I would continue to scour market for a LH 1B who can flash leather (a la Rizzo) to save throwing errors from young IF'rs but can live with Collins if he can adjust.

OF is rich in options. To me, Eloy is a lock but I can see him as DH in order to make room for any of surplus OF'rs. I don't know whether Robert can play CF better than Basabe or Gonzalez but I hope we can make room for all 3. My guess is between Rutherford, Steele and Adolfo, at least one will be traded, possibly this off-season. My sense is Rutherford holds the most trade value, especially to west coast teams (again, see 3 catcher/targets above with emphasis on Smith).

So...around the horn 3B Moncada; SS FA until Laz or Sosa arrive; 2B Madrigal; 1B Collins; C any of above but partial toward Smith. OF Robert, Basabe, Gonzalez w/Eloy at DH.

I wouldn't hesitate to move Avi, Abreu and/or Anderson if it aided in bringing over our catcher of the future and/or a LH fielding 1B or a young defensive oriented SS. 

My two top 'mind-trades' for the offseason: 1) Rodon to A's for Luzardo and Sean Murphy and 2) Anderson and Rutherford to Dodgers for Smith and Gavin Lux (ss).

See you at World Series in 2020.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flash said:

As a certified fake GM, I hereby posit my 2 cents on the WS rebuild. First, it appears our future strength will be young pitching...hence I would be scouring for a defensively gifted catcher to mold and support our youngsters. Three minor leaguers worth noting are Sean Murphy (Oakland), Will Smith (Dodgers) and Andrew Knizner (Cardinals)...none of them will come cheap. Of the 3, I prefer Smith due to his ability to also play 3B on occasion. 

Now...to address area of greatest need, middle IF. I am not a fan of either Anderson or Moncada but between them, I would show more patience with Moncada. That said, I would shift him to 3B now and determine if he can stick there. I believe he can. Let Yolmer play 2B or bring up Rondon to finish year. If Moncada can cut it at 3rd, great. If not, I don't see much use in keeping him, especially if he might still hold any trade value. I'm guessing we can find a free agent who can hold down 3rd until Burger, Bush or ?? are ready. If needed, FA 3B are generally not too hard to come by. As far as Anderson, I get the fact he is athletic and fast afoot but, for me (remember I'm a fake GM), he is too unreliable. I would seek to trade him (see above 3 noteworthy catchers to target). I'm okay with him as a placeholder on a rebuilding team but I sure hope he isn't our SS two years from now (although I fear he will be). Hopefully we can find a defensive-minded SS for at least as long as it takes for Rivera or Sosa to arrive.

2nd base is Madrigal unless he flops, which I doubt happens. 1B is Collins' although I prefer a LH fielder at 1B. Collins also holds value as a backup catcher and occasional DH vs. RH pitchers. I would continue to scour market for a LH 1B who can flash leather (a la Rizzo) to save throwing errors from young IF'rs but can live with Collins if he can adjust.

OF is rich in options. To me, Eloy is a lock but I can see him as DH in order to make room for any of surplus OF'rs. I don't know whether Robert can play CF better than Basabe or Gonzalez but I hope we can make room for all 3. My guess is between Rutherford, Steele and Adolfo, at least one will be traded, possibly this off-season. My sense is Rutherford holds the most trade value, especially to west coast teams (again, see 3 catcher/targets above with emphasis on Smith).

So...around the horn 3B Moncada; SS FA until Laz or Sosa arrive; 2B Madrigal; 1B Collins; C any of above but partial toward Smith. OF Robert, Basabe, Gonzalez w/Eloy at DH.

I wouldn't hesitate to move Avi, Abreu and/or Anderson if it aided in bringing over our catcher of the future and/or a LH fielding 1B or a young defensive oriented SS. 

My two top 'mind-trades' for the offseason: 1) Rodon to A's for Luzardo and Sean Murphy and 2) Anderson and Rutherford to Dodgers for Smith and Gavin Lux (ss).

That soon?

There appear to be at least two college catchers, ranked in the top 10 of next year's Draft.

Shea Langeliers, C, Baylor
If Rutschman is the top catcher in the class, Langeliers might not be far behind. He has excellent catch-and-throw skills with outstanding pop times to second. At the plate, Langeliers is quick to the ball and can drive it to all fields, with double-digit home runs in each of his first two seasons.

Edited by Lillian

1 hour ago, Flash said:

You're winning another top 5 draft pick in 2020 with these moves.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Okay assuming the rebuild is for another two years:

Trade Rodon

Trade Abreu

Trade Garcia

--------------------

Sign some starting pitching to short term 2yr or less pillow deals.

Sign a 1B/DH on a short term deal

Sign a DH on a short term deal

Maybe look at a 3B like Donaldson on a short term deal

Try to see if there is any guys this offseason who are surplus guys that might be available.

----------------------------------------

Around the deadline look to flip these rentals for prospects. Call up you young players. See where they are at and get ready for next year.

1 hour ago, Flash said:

Better keep your day job LOL 😂 

• Haha 1

I think this team will  be ready to compete, as soon as they establish the starting rotation. My guess is; Rodon, Kopech, Cease, Lopez, followed by one of Giolito, Covey, Dunning, or Hansen. Whether, or not that can happen, by the 2ND half of next year, I have no idea.

The lineup could be good enough next year, if they don't trade Avi and Abreu. Maybe one free agent acquisition, and Eloy could make this offence competitive. 

There could be enough internal options for the bullpen.

It may not be necessary to wait until 2021 to compete. That is likely the time when the next wave of prospects arrive, including whom ever they might select in net year's draft. 

Edited by Lillian

I gotta go against the popular consensus here and say the Sox should look to trade one of their OF prospects for a SP. I'm not sure you can count on anyone in the rotation currently being healthy (Rodon) or good (everyone else) long term. Attrition is enough of a problem that even Kopech and Cease shouldn't be counted on. You can never have too much, right? 

Doubtful Moncada has the offense to profile as a quality 3B. Moncada and Anderson are skilled enough to be supporting actors on a winning team but do not as yet seem destined to be anchor tenants in the Sox lineup. 

I know I'll get a lot of "Jerry is too cheap" responses,  but I really think they go all in on Machado. 

Some will say it's too early, but I see this as a Lester to the Cubs type of deal. 

That's the one item on my check list. If they can't land Machado then I think they really need to make a push for Arrenado the following year.....Me being a big guy, I'd love to see Burger be the guy at 3B but there's some serious doubt. I love what I've seen from Bush so far but the kid is just 18.

I may also look into acquiring a CF who can be a quality leadoff guy. 

1. CF 

2. Machado 3B

3. Abreu 1B

4. Eloy LF 

5. Palka DH

6. Avi RF

7. Moncada 2B

8. Narvaez C

9. Anderson SS 

Rodon-Kopech-Lopez-Gio-Stephens

4 minutes ago, scs787 said:

I know I'll get a lot of "Jerry is too cheap" responses,  but I really think they go all in on Machado. 

Some will say it's too early, but I see this as a Lester to the Cubs type of deal. 

That's the one item on my check list. If they can't land Machado then I think they really need to make a push for Arrenado the following year.....Me being a big guy, I'd love to see Burger be the guy at 3B but there's some serious doubt. I love what I've seen from Bush so far but the kid is just 18.

1. CF 

2. Machado 3B

3. Abreu 1B

4. Eloy LF 

5. Palka DH

6. Avi RF

7. Moncada 2B

8. Narvaez C

9. Anderson SS 

Looking at this year's free agents, I thought maybe Adam Jones could fill this need but looking at his career stats, he's never really been an on-base guy though he has hit leadoff in the past and has good numbers out of that spot (average and power anyway). Shouldn't command much at 33-years old though.

2 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Looking at this year's free agents, I thought maybe Adam Jones could fill this need but looking at his career stats, he's never really been an on-base guy though he has hit leadoff in the past and has good numbers out of that spot (average and power anyway). Shouldn't command much at 33-years old though.

What does Adam Jones do for us though? I'd rather not waste the money on players on the wrong side of 32. 

Sign Machado and Corbin this offseason.

2019 Lineup:

01) SS Tim Anderson

02) 2B Yoan Moncada

03) 3B Manny Machado

04) LF Eloy Jimenez

05) 1B Jose Abreu

06) RF Avisail Garcia

07) C Welington Castillo

08) DH Nicky Delmonico

09) CF Charlie Tilson

2019 Rotation:

01) Carlos Rodon

02) Patrick Corbin

03) Michael Kopech

04) Reynaldo Lopez

05) Jordan Stephens

2021 Projected Lineup:

01) SS Nick Madrigal

02) CF Luis Robert

03) 2B Yoan Moncada

04) RF Eloy Jimenez

05) 3B Manny Machado

06) DH Micker Adolfo

07) 1B Zack Collins

08) LF Blake Rutherford

09) C Adley Rutschman

2021 Projected Rotation:

01) Carlos Rodon

02) Michael Kopech

03) Patrick Corbin

04) Dylan Cease

05) Reynaldo Lopez

That 2019 group looks like one that could get near .500, while the 2021 group looks like a powerhouse, especially since there are a lot of names you could easily interchange there with other players currently in the minors or on the MLB team.

46 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Is Collins officially a lost cause at C that I’m not aware of? I thought most reports were saying he’s been at least adequate and improving this year?

No, mostly that's playing the likely outcome game. Plus, I think the Sox draft a C in 2019 and he becomes the primary guy for the contention window.

Edited by Dam8610

26 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

No, mostly that's playing the likely outcome game. Plus, I think the Sox draft a C in 2019 and he becomes the primary guy for the contention window.

If they're drafting a catcher in 2019 are you expecting their window to be like 2024? Catchers take forever to develop. The ones who have dynamite bats get moved away from that position a-la Harper, Schwarber, the others are given years to work with pitchers. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

If they're drafting a catcher in 2019 are you expecting their window to be like 2024? Catchers take forever to develop. The ones who have dynamite bats get moved away from that position a-la Harper, Schwarber, the others are given years to work with pitchers. 

I'm looking at a championship contention window that could start in 2021 and a playoff contention window that starts with 2020. A 2019 draftee at C could be up and starting by 2021. They'd have to take the Buster Posey development path, but that's the point of having a top 5 pick and drafting a C that high.

11 hours ago, scs787 said:

1. CF 

2. Machado 3B

3. Abreu 1B

4. Eloy LF 

5. Palka DH

6. Avi RF

7. Moncada 2B

8. Narvaez C

9. Anderson SS 

That's a lineup that needs Madrigal for sure.

On 8/13/2018 at 9:21 AM, soxfan2014 said:

I wouldn't hate Jones on a 1 year deal.  I am sure he does better though.

I like Pollock, but it really depends on the league wide interest in him.  I like him up to a certain point, but I think he'll exceed it.  If  you could get him on a 2 year $30M type deal, I'd do it in a heartbeat.  Doubt that is happening though.  I am guessing he'll get a QO offer, which will likely really hurt his market, but I don't think Sox will be super excited to give up their 2nd rounder.  Worth monitoring at least. 

There really aren't any other great options - Carlos Gomez, Jon Jay, Cameron Maybin, and McCutchen (who is no longer a CF IMO) are the top CF types available after Pollock and Jones. 

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I wouldn't hate Jones on a 1 year deal.  I am sure he does better though.

I like Pollock, but it really depends on the league wide interest in him.  I like him up to a certain point, but I think he'll exceed it.  If  you could get him on a 2 year $30M type deal, I'd do it in a heartbeat.  Doubt that is happening though.  I am guessing he'll get a QO offer, which will likely really hurt his market, but I don't think Sox will be super excited to give up their 2nd rounder.  Worth monitoring at least. 

There really aren't any other great options - Carlos Gomez, Jon Jay, Cameron Maybin, and McCutchen (who is no longer a CF IMO) are the top CF types available after Pollock and Jones. 

I don't know. Outside of injuries, Pollock has been a pretty good player. I would think he could do better than a 1-2 year deals (saw people suggest one in a thread before).

10 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I don't know. Outside of injuries, Pollock has been a pretty good player. I would think he could do better than a 1-2 year deals (saw people suggest one in a thread before).

Yah, like I said, will depend on what the market dictates. Qualifying offers always make things interesting. But I too think he'll require a longer term deal. 

10 minutes ago, frogsplash31 said:

I think Pollock gets somewhere in the ballpark of what Cain got. Have to think minimum 4/65.

Pollock is great when healthy, but it would frighten me to sign him to big money and years given the injury history.