White Sox Vs Cleveland 8.12 game thread

southsider2k5

Engel never seemed to be able to solve the challenge of hitting, as I hoped. However, you can see why some of us were rooting so hard, for him to do so. If he could just hit for a respectable average, he could be a good player, given that glove. He has speed and power, as well. It's too bad that he just can't make enough contact.

4 hours ago, fathom said:

He's also so bad at hitting sliders/curves right now because he's flying open.  He got to that fastball yesterday because it was in the only spot he can really hammer right now.

If I have to read you saying he's flying open and guessing for (literally) the 100th time I'm going to ,,, well I don't know .. read it again I suppose  :P

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
add content
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Lillian said:

Engel never seemed to be able to solve the challenge of hitting, as I hoped. However, you can see why some of us were rooting so hard, for him to do so. If he could just hit for a respectable average, he could be a good player, given that glove. He has speed and power, as well. It's too bad that he just can't make enough contact.

People talk about Engel power but where does that come from? He hasn't shown it in games. He's had 8 HR in 200 MLB games. Career .289 SLG%.  Career .098 ISO

If he was wellington Castillo or Gallo out there he'd be an everyday CF regardless of his subpar AVG and OBP. It's kind of disappointing because with the kind of defense he's shown lately he doesn't need to be a good hitter just good enough in one area to be respectable whether that be OBP or SLG%. Unfortunately he has a 54 wRC+

I don't care if you are willy mays out there that isn't good enough to play in the MLB and honestly despite the heroics at the wall most metrics have weighed his defense only to be slightly above average this year.

• Like 1

Engel has power. His problem is his inability to make solid contact. I'm not lobbying for him to get more playing time. He had plenty of opportunities to prove that he can hit. My on!y point was that one can readily see the potential.

Edited by Lillian

• Kalapse changed the title to White Sox Vs Cleveland 8.12 game thread
  • Kyyle23 unpinned this topic