Nick madrigal tracker

Dominikk85

His contact and hit for average ability is as advertised with an almost non existent K rate and a 300+ average.

He also posted only a .070 iso with no homers, but I'm not worried about that, he will probably add 15 pounds to his small frame, lift some more balls and become a 15 hr hitter.

I don't quite like his walk rate of about 5% so far,as a non elite power guy obp is really his calling card and while his average will probably keep his obp on a good level I would like to see a few more walks

12 minutes ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

660 OPS so far in his minor league career. No bueno. 

I don't think anyone is assuming he will have a high OPS, although I do agree it needs to be higher than .660.

If his slash is 300/340/370 + good defense in the MLB, he's a very useful piece.

32 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I don't think anyone is assuming he will have a high OPS, although I do agree it needs to be higher than .660.

If his slash is 300/340/370 + good defense in the MLB, he's a very useful piece.

My concern is that he never gets to that 340 OBP since he doesn't really draw walks much

38 minutes ago, flavum said:

Shocking you have concerns about Madrigal already.

Strictly offensively, how can you not? If you don't hit for power, you need to get on base. He projects to do neither. 

Edit: 

If he can just lay off those and walk, I'd be a fan. But he has said that he has no desire to stop swinging, which gives me the impression that he won't be taking many walks. His approach needs to be overhauled, much like our current second baseman

Edited by Jose Abreu

It is a very small sample size, but does this kid have any power? He hasn't hit a dinger yet in A ball with close to 100 at bats. Are we looking at a guy whose mlb ceiling is 5 to 8 homers a year? 

Also, Seth Beer and and Nolan Gorman  have been tearing the cover off the ball so far this year. Not suprisingly, those two were drafted by the Astros and Cardinals.  

49 minutes ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

It is a very small sample size, but does this kid have any power? He hasn't hit a dinger yet in A ball with close to 100 at bats. Are we looking at a guy whose mlb ceiling is 5 to 8 homers a year? 

Also, Seth Beer and and Nolan Gorman  have been tearing the cover off the ball so far this year. Not suprisingly, those two were drafted by the Astros and Cardinals.  

Way closer to 5-8 than the 15-20 some have projected on here.  I've seen highlights of him making real good contact for W-S and not being able to get it over outfielder's head.

1 hour ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

How many home runs did Brian Roberts hit his first season in professional ball? How are Alec Bohm and Jonathan India hitting so far in A ball?

2 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

How many home runs did Brian Roberts hit his first season in professional ball? How are Alec Bohm and Jonathan India hitting so far in A ball?

I said it was a small sample size, but Madrigal has not really impressed so far. Time will tell what happens.

Also, wanna bet that Gorman as an 18 year old hits more homers this year than Madrigal hits his entire minor league career? 

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

If you are hung up on Homer's with Madrigal,  you are going to be very angry following his career. 

Yup. I would absolutely love him if he could provide good defense + a .300/.350 BA/OBP with minimal strikeouts. If he does that then I don't even care what his slugging percentage is. I just don't know if he can get to the point where he takes those walks, even if you throw in 10-20 HBP per year

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If you are hung up on Homer's with Madrigal,  you are going to be very angry following his career. 

the 3/8 SBs are more concerning that his lack of power.  Power will likely never be a part of his game.  

But really, he is a guy that was just drafted this year that is already holding his own in A+.  There isn't really anything with which to be concerned at this point.  He has been in pro ball for 28 games.  

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Brian Roberts got busted for using PEDS.  He's a bad comparison.

Doubt he was taking PEDs when he was hitting 0-5 homers a season through the minors and first two full seasons in MLB. Despite hitting 9 home runs combined between 2003 and 2004 he still combined for 5.5 fWAR between those two seasons. I'd take a consistent 2.75 fWAR/season from Madrigal all day.

1 minute ago, turnin' two said:

the 3/8 SBs are more concerning that his lack of power.  Power will likely never be a part of his game.  

But really, he is a guy that was just drafted this year that is already holding his own in A+.  There isn't really anything with which to be concerned at this point.  He has been in pro ball for 28 games.  

I said this numerous times watching him at Oregon St, but he's not super fast. He's way more effective due to his instincts.  He was something like 39/47 stealing bases in his Beavers career.   I'm sure he'll get more effective as he learns the personnel he's facing. 

10 minutes ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

I said it was a small sample size, but Madrigal has not really impressed so far. Time will tell what happens.

Also, wanna bet that Gorman as an 18 year old hits more homers this year than Madrigal hits his entire minor league career? 

Why are you comparing Madrigal's power to Gorman anyway? Those guys have completely different skill sets. If Madrigal had Gorman's power he'd be a top 3 prospect in all of baseball. Likewise, if Gorman had Madrigal's hit tool, speed, and defense he too would be a top 3 prospect in all of baseball.

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Doubt he was taking PEDs when he was hitting 0-5 homers a season through the minors and first two full seasons in MLB. Despite hitting 9 home runs combined between 2003 and 2004 he still combined for 5.5 fWAR between those two seasons. I'd take a consistent 2.75 fWAR/season from Madrigal all day.

Gotcha, I thought you were referencing his huge power increase.  IIRC, Roberts had an amazing base stealing technique in terms of getting a running lead.

12 minutes ago, fathom said:

Gotcha, I thought you were referencing his huge power increase.  IIRC, Roberts had an amazing base stealing technique in terms of getting a running lead.

Sure, the power surge to the point of MVP candidate would be great but I don't expect that. My point is I think he can still be an above average regular without a big increase in power. If he's a 2.5-3.0 fWAR/season player during his Sox career, I would consider it a very successful pick. That type of production would likely exceed that of India and Singer over the same timeframe; the two other guys being discussed with the #4 pick.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

Madrigal also broke his wrist this year. If Madrigal was hitting .500 I'd certainly be excited, but it's not surprising production starts to dip for college players in august coming off of CWS, especially one being challenged more than any other to this point.

5 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Why are you comparing Madrigal's power to Gorman anyway? Those guys have completely different skill sets. If Madrigal had Gorman's power he'd be a top 3 prospect in all of baseball. Likewise, if Gorman had Madrigal's hit tool, speed, and defense he too would be a top 3 prospect in all of baseball.

So you don't want to take the bet, huh?

No one is writing Madrigal off yet. I just think the Sox played it safe with Madrigal and will be pissed if he turns into a Tony Graffanino type player and dudes like Gorman and Kelenic become the next Chipper Jones and Jim Edmonds.