Nick madrigal tracker

Dominikk85

33 minutes ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

Little Nicky with no triples or homers through the first 32 games of his professional career. 

Hostletter and company know that is not against the law to select high schoolers in the first two rounds of the draft, right? Do the Sox even scout high school players? 

Just stop.  This is so disingenuous.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

Little Nicky with no triples or homers through the first 32 games of his professional career. 

Hostletter and company know that is not against the law to select high schoolers in the first two rounds of the draft, right? Do the Sox even scout high school players? 

Lol...nothing like the internet tough guy using the benefit of hindsight to call others stupid.

22 hours ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

It's not against the law but it is a greater risk.

Its cute to pine for the "sexy" pick in terms of prep players. But, I can't believe anyone in this fandom has even a scrap of confidence in this FO to scout, draft, sign, & then (Most importantly, IMHO), DEVELOP a prep draftee.

I mean, didn't these posters watch this FO piss away the #1 prospect by turning him into a 1 fWAR, sub-.700 OPS struggler? 

And haven't they seem the last two decades or so for failure to develop any of their own draftees?

Sorry, but until Getz, et al show they can not Fuck up top prospects, I'm content to see this org take college players in the draft. Until further notice, these guys are too impatient and too incompetent to be trusted with top prep draftees, IMO.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

17 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Its cute to pine for the "sexy" pick in terms of prep players. But, I can't believe anyone in this fandom has even a scrap of confidence in this FO to scout, draft, sign, & then (Most importantly, IMHO), DEVELOP a prep draftee.

I mean, didn't these posters watch this FO piss away the #1 prospect by turning him into a 1 fWAR, sub-.700 OPS struggler? 

And haven't they seem the last two decades or so for failure to develop any of their own draftees?

Sorry, but until Getz, et al show they can not Fuck up top prospects, I'm content to see this org take college players in the draft. Until further notice, these guys are too impatient and too incompetent to be trusted with top prep draftees, IMO.

It's obviously not a first rounder but Bryce Bush looks pretty good so far. Michael Kopech and Dylan Cease were both HS picks that the organization acquired and their methods have helped them improve and ascend as prospects. The Sox need to not draft bad high schoolers and force them through the system at an unfairly rapid pace. They 100% should and will start taking more prep players. I had some reservations about the Madrigal pick myself but judging players (especially college ones) on anything they do in their draft year is generally a fool's errand. 

8 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

It's obviously not a first rounder but Bryce Bush looks pretty good so far. Michael Kopech and Dylan Cease were both HS picks

This is a bit of an expansion of terms, otherwise known as "goalpost moving."

I posted, "...scout, draft, sign, & then (Most importantly, IMHO), DEVELOP a prep draftee.

The other poster b****es about not drafting prep players; giving this incompetent group of rubes in this FO credit for developing other team's prep draftees is goalpost moving.

That aside, and to the other posters' viewpoint of drafting their own prep draftee (not aquiring one that someone else drafted) I think it's been since Crede that they be developed their own prep draftee.

32 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

It amazing you can pick up one guy from a trade, and ignore the other one who actually had way underachived as a prep draftee and was acquired in the exact same trade.  And by the way said trade piece just made a major league debut that all of the baseball world stopped to watch, including Hall of Fame pitchers who raved about the kid.  But hey, why let that get in the way of a half-ass rant.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I posted, "...scout, draft, sign, & then (Most importantly, IMHO), DEVELOP a prep draftee.

The other poster b****es about not drafting prep players; giving this incompetent group of rubes in this FO credit for developing other team's prep draftees is goalpost moving.

That aside, and to the other posters' viewpoint of drafting their own prep draftee (not aquiring one that someone else drafted) I think it's been since Crede that they be developed their own prep draftee.

You like mentioning high school kids and then moving on to Moncada in the same post?  Absolutely, you are guilty of it.

26 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Jesus this site sucks now. 

Edited by Y2Jimmy0
  • Like 4

On 8/22/2018 at 9:16 AM, footlongcomiskeydog said:

Seriously? Judging a recently drafted player who played a grueling college season and post season, and also coming off an injury right now is foolish. I'm confident everyone will be pleased with how Madrigal performs in full season ball in 2019. 

5 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Seriously? Judging a recently drafted player who played a grueling college season and post season, and also coming off an injury right now is foolish. I'm confident everyone will be pleased with how Madrigal performs in full season ball in 2019. 

I don't think you're are right here. As I said when he was drafted, people who focus on power, launch angle, exit velocity and such are not going to like him. People who look more at contact rate, K/AB, OBP are going to like him.

I am really interested to see the opinions of him and his development. Personally, I love his game and think he will be a major contributer.

Edited by ptatc

1 minute ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I have become convinced that a significant number of posters here are a) young children; and/or b) Cub fan trolls.  Looking at it this way helps me stay sane while I navigate my way to the informed commentary.

The opposite actually, in a lot of cases 

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

I don't think you're are right here. As I said when he was drafted, people who focus on power, launch angle, exit velocity and such are not going to like him. People who look more at contact rate, K/AB, OBP are going to like him.

I am really interested to see the opinions of him and his development. Personally, I love his game and think he will be a major contributer.

Madrigal was never going to be a huge power guy. He brings speed, defense, batting average and glove to the table, while rarely striking out. It is not as if he has zero power either. 

Fangraphs is still really high on him

2 hours ago, steveno89 said:

Madrigal was never going to be a huge power guy. He brings speed, defense, batting average and glove to the table, while rarely striking out. It is not as if he has zero power either. 

Fangraphs is still really high on him

I know what he brings but most of the "advanced stats" today show those skills as irrelevant. Low batting average and high strikeouts are acceptable now. He does have relative zero power compared to the players who swing for the fences on every pitch and strike out 150 times per year.

Been watching Madrigal last few days.  Way too much soft contact, as he's not getting his front foot down in time.  Until they get him stronger and make mechanical changes, he looks like those shortstops from before the steroid era where you could knock the bat out of their hands.

4 hours ago, fathom said:

Been watching Madrigal last few days.  Way too much soft contact, as he's not getting his front foot down in time.  Until they get him stronger and make mechanical changes, he looks like those shortstops from before the steroid era where you could knock the bat out of their hands.

This post is not going to be popular around here.

12 hours ago, fathom said:

He needs to make the same mechanical adjustments Altuve did circa 2011. He jabs his front foot out pretty far, which robs his swing of a lot of the power he could generate from his legs and core. That's why I believe there's untapped power potential in him. If he's going to use a high leg kick, he needs to learn to plant the front foot rather than jabbing out with it. This will transfer all of the available power into his swing.

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Meanwhile, the college infielders taken immediately before and after Madrigal are hitting below .200 in A ball

I know it doesn't matter, but despite a .197 batting average, Jon India has a higher on base percentage than Madrigal right now. I'm not too high on the pick but not because of his power- rather because he's an on base guy who doesn't want to take walks. 

6 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I know it doesn't matter, but despite a .197 batting average, Jon India has a higher on base percentage than Madrigal right now. I'm not too high on the pick but not because of his power- rather because he's an on base guy who doesn't want to take walks. 

My point is that the other college infielders drafted immediately next to Madrigal are also really struggling at the plate. If this were to continue into next season I’d be concerned about these guys but until then I’m not. I’m just glad they didn’t draft Singer...