Nick madrigal tracker

Dominikk85

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

My point is that the other college infielders drafted immediately next to Madrigal are also really struggling at the plate. If this were to continue into next season I’d be concerned about these guys but until then I’m not. I’m just glad they didn’t draft Singer...

Yeah, I definitely agree there. Singer would've been a mistake. 

And I'm also not concerned about Madrigal, at least not this early. I just hope he goes into next season with refined mechanics and a more open mind when it comes to taking walks. 

6 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I know it doesn't matter, but despite a .197 batting average, Jon India has a higher on base percentage than Madrigal right now. I'm not too high on the pick but not because of his power- rather because he's an on base guy who doesn't want to take walks. 

Madrigal’s OBP is 60 points higher than his BA right now.   Obviously we can’t bank on him getting by this many pitches forever, but I think if he bats .300+ his OBP will be more than fine.

On 8/17/2018 at 2:07 PM, footlongcomiskeydog said:

I said it was a small sample size, but Madrigal has not really impressed so far. 

I couldn’t disagree more.  He is more than holding his own at a level higher (I believe) than any other ‘18 draftees.  His BABIP indicates he’s hitting in some bad luck while maintaining the best contact rate in the system-by far-if not all of pro baseball.  His D has been praised and he apparently is a guy who is willing to work and make adjustments and do what he needs to do to grow.  He may never crack 10 hrs a year but if he continues to improve from the baseline rate he’s established as indicated by his performance so far this year....dude’s going to be fine.  

Edited by Dizzy Sox

3 minutes ago, Dizzy Sox said:

I couldn’t disagree more.  He is more than holding his own at a level higher (I believe) than any other ‘18 draftees.  His BABIP indicates he’s hitting in some bad luck while maintaining the best contact rate in the system-by far-if not all of pro baseball.  His D has been praised and he apparently is a guy who is willing to work and make adjustments and do what he needs to do to grow.  He may never crack 10 hrs a year but if he continues to improve from the baseline rate he’s established as indicated by his performance so far this year....dude’s going to be fine.  

His BABIP at Winston-Salem is .281, which isn't that low and could be a good indicator of what his career BABIP would be if he continues to just chop pitches into the ground all the time. I agree with the rest though. 

On 8/24/2018 at 6:02 PM, flavum said:

I think Madrigal will be fine too...they drafted him 4th for a reason.

BABIP might be tricky with him...yes, he puts the ball in play, but he hits a lot of wimpy ground outs. He’s not exactly squaring up balls that are hit right at guys.

He needs to elevate the  ball more. He doesn't need to be a launch angle guy but over 50% grounders is too much. Low to mid 40s would be better.

However this is his first crack at this level of pitching. Maybe he needs to adjust his bat path or maybe the pitches just get on him a little quickly as his pull rate is very low too. Sometimes hitters just need to time velo better and catch it more out front.