2019 White Sox Starting Rotation

WBWSF

Fulmer, Giolito and Covey have been in the 2018 White Sox rotation. Fulmer is in the Minors and I think Giolito and Covey should be in the minors also. Barring some trades I would like to think that Rodon, Lopez and Kopech will be the 2019 White Sox rotation. Who else will be the 2019 rotation?  Will the White Sox go with Fulmer, Giolito and Covey again? Or will it be somebody else?

Rodon will be there for sure. Lopez and Giolito will be there. Lopez has been decent enough to earn another year, even if he's started to fade and his peripherals are unimpressive. Giolito is too highly regarded to be discarded after one year, and even though his overall numbers are horrible, he's shown hope in the last two months or so.

Covey is a nobody, and I think the ship has sailed on Fulmer (as a starter, at least). Kopech and Stephens should fill the final two slots.

If anyone struggles, and I'm really looking at Stephens and Giolito on this one, Cease and to a lesser extent Adams and maybe even Dunning will be waiting.

53 minutes ago, Flash said:

This rebuild will look much different if Gio can find the 4mph he's lost.

Yes, because it's all about velocity. Just ask Covey with his increased velocity this year. They need more than velocity to be effective.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Carson Fulmer

Hector Santiago

Dylan Covey

Chris Volstad

Tyler Danish

World Series 2019 right there! 😂

I'm gonna go with for the beginning of the year:

Rodon

Giolito

Lopez

Covey

Free Agent Signing/ Stephens

And after the deadline:

Rodon

Giolito

Lopez

Kopech

Covey/Stephens/FA

I don't think they will trade Rodon. I'm not sure if any teams will be willing to pay the price the Sox would want to part with him during the offseason. Gio and Lopez are obviously going to get their chance to improve so I don't see them going anywhere. Covey as well but his leash will be shorter. There will be some FA like Miguel Gonzalez that could compete but I hope Stephens wins the job. Stephens may even get a couple starts in September and become a frontrunner for the job next year. 

11 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Carson Fulmer

Hector Santiago

Dylan Covey

Chris Volstad

Tyler Danish

If Hahn trades Rodon and Lopez you might be right. He then might bring back Gonzalez and Shields to round out the pitching staff.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Now that's just unrealistic.

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

You would prefer Tyler Chatwood, right? 

5 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

none of this will happen

He wasn't suggesting that it would. He was replying to the original comment of the garbage rotation below:

Carson Fulmer

Hector Santiago

Dylan Covey

Chris Volstad

Tyler Danish

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Tony said:

You would prefer Tyler Chatwood, right? 

Looks like I was wrong about Chatwood. It  looks like Epstein was wrong about Chatwood also. I've always been 100% for Chicago when it comes to baseball. I want the White Sox to win100% of the time and I want the bad guys from the Northside to lose 100% of their games. That being said I wish the White Sox had the Management team/ownership of the Northside team.  Epstein and company have hit on most of their acqusitions. You can't say the same thing for Hahn and company.  I also wouldn't be surprised to see Hahn trade Rodon for more prospects.

44 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

He wasn't suggesting that it would. He was replying to the original comment of the garbage rotation below:

Carson Fulmer

Hector Santiago

Dylan Covey

Chris Volstad

Tyler Danish

hmmm, the comment following this seems to suggest that he does believe some of it will happen

It's pretty obviously Rodon, Lopez, Giolito, Covey and Stephens for the first month.

After April 20, Kopech joins and one of Covey/Stephens to the pen.  

I could see the Sox signing a veteran to a 1 year deal as well and just putting Covey in the pen (where he belongs) from the get go. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

It's pretty obviously Rodon, Lopez, Giolito, Covey and Stephens for the first month.

After April 20, Kopech joins and one of Covey/Stephens to the pen.  

I could see the Sox signing a veteran to a 1 year deal as well and just putting Covey in the pen (where he belongs) from the get go. 

I wouldn't even say it's obvious that Covey makes another start for us this season, let alone begin 2019 in the rotation. 

4 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I wouldn't even say it's obvious that Covey makes another start for us this season, let alone begin 2019 in the rotation. 

Assuming the Sox don't sign a FA SP, who would  you start in the rotation in his spot knowing that Kopech won't be that guy until late April?  Its either Covey, or someone who isn't currently in the org. I highly doubt the Sox would go with someone like Guerrero or Adams to start 2019, but I suppose its possible. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we see Dylan Cease in the rotation by mid-year next season.  He has been obliterating AA, and could be moved up to AAA this season, though he probably will just start there next season.  If he performs close to the level there that he has since arriving the the Sox organization, he could be due for a call-up in the middle of next season.  It would be a fun rotation down the stretch with

Rodon -- Kopech -- Lopez -- Giolito -- Cease 

By that time you may have some help arriving in the bullpen as well with 

Burdi -- Hamilton -- Burr -- Frare -- Burr -- Ruiz and maybe some old friends in Bummer and Fulmer (?!?)

While that pitching staff may be a little raw, boy would there be some pure "stuff" on the mound on a nightly basis.

Though guys like Stephens, Guerrero and Adams are getting close to getting their shots as well, and will likely all factor into the pitching staff at some point next season.  

Barring injury---Rodon, Giolito, Lopez seem to be givens.  Service time may be only Kopech question.  I expect Covey to be a long man and reasonably successful.  So, I expect one or two reclamation projects and/or minor league deals as a last gasp for deadline flip candidates.  We should see Kopech from the start/early, then the beginning waves of youngsters.

23 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

According to the stories I saw today Rick said he's staying in the rotation at least for now anyway so who knows for sure.

3 minutes ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

The Sox should pony up and sign Patrick Corbin to a 4 or 5 year deal. Dude is still under 30 and putting up ridiculous numbers pitching out in the desert.

Trying to fill the rotation with arms solely from the farm isn't a good idea.

Patrick Corbin was pretty meh until this season.  I think whoever signs him is going to regret it.  I agree the Sox will probably need to sign or trade for a legit veteran SP at some point, but I don't think this offseason is that time, and Patrick Corbin probably isn't the guy you want to be betting on.  

I was originally thinking having Shields one more year as an innings eater and mentor wouldn't be a bad idea.  But there's no way the Sox (or any other team for that matter) would pay $16 million.  After the $2 million buyout, I wonder if the Sox would entertain bringing him back.  Would any team sign him for a few million?

Realistically, I see Rodon, Giolito, and Lopez and locks.  Beyond that, I'm not sure.  I assume Kopech will be up some time next year, maybe as part of the opening day roster.  And I suppose the Sox will go out and sign a project or two.

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Patrick Corbin was pretty meh until this season.  I think whoever signs him is going to regret it.  I agree the Sox will probably need to sign or trade for a legit veteran SP at some point, but I don't think this offseason is that time, and Patrick Corbin probably isn't the guy you want to be betting on.  

Doesn't he throw a ton of sliders 

2 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I was originally thinking having Shields one more year as an innings eater and mentor wouldn't be a bad idea.  But there's no way the Sox (or any other team for that matter) would pay $16 million.  After the $2 million buyout, I wonder if the Sox would entertain bringing him back.  Would any team sign him for a few million?

Realistically, I see Rodon, Giolito, and Lopez and locks.  Beyond that, I'm not sure.  I assume Kopech will be up some time next year, maybe as part of the opening day roster.  And I suppose the Sox will go out and sign a project or two.

Kopech will not be on the OD roster if he isn't called up this season.  

I think the Sox will want to move on from Shields.

Stephens should get a few spot starts in September, and I think they'll give him a shot at the 5th starter role next season.  Way as well see what you've got with him at some point.