Sox @ Tigers 8/15 12:10 PM CT NBCSCHI

Jose Abreu

4 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I would love to see that but he'd need a massive September. Unfortunately I think he may need to "settle" for 93 or so. Hope I'm wrong. 

He's on pace for 99 according to ESPN.com, Considering how long his cold spell was, he's been pretty amazing the rest of the season.

Edited by Dick Allen

2 minutes ago, Scoots said:

Remember when Rodon used to have horrible control issues? Seems like most people forgot how bad he was with the walks and lack of control. He seems to really have honed that in.

Yeah he's so good at pitching deep into games now. He has developed really nicely. 

Just now, Dick Allen said:

He's on pace for 99 according to ESPN.com

With September coming and Delmonico/call-ups able to play 1B I was sort of factoring in rest, but I guess he had 22 September RBIs last year so it's very possible. I wonder how many players have started their careers with 5 seasons of 25/100. Can't be many 

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Embarrassing at-bat for Moncada right there, kid looks broken as fuck.

If the minor league season was longer, I'd say it's getting close to demotion time.  It's so disappointing to see how much worse he is as a hitter now compared to when he came up last season.

Edited by fathom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Welcome to the dark side :)

Honestly, at least on Twitter and social media, being a Moncada fan/supporter is more of the dark side at this point. Speaks a lot to how he's played this season. If I didn't know his numbers, I would guess based on fan reaction that he was at like .175/.200/.225 or something Engel-like. 

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

I'm finally on the doubt train for Yoan. Hate being the meatball body language guy, but NONE of it looks good. 

I'm just not sold at all. 

At this point he needs to clear his head and start again next year.  Sadly, TA is having an awful 2nd half as well at the dish.  Those guys have gone from a potential 8-10 WAR middle infield to looking like 2-3 WAR types at best the last couple months.  I'm ready to move on from Todd as well. 

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

At this point he needs to clear his head and start again next year.  Sadly, TA is having an awful 2nd half as well at the dish.  Those guys have gone from a potential 8-10 WAR middle infield to looking like 2-3 WAR types at best the last couple months.  I'm ready to move on from Todd as well. 

I do question how healthy Anderson is, so he'll get the benefit of the doubt with that.  At this point though, Steverson better be fired the day after the season ends, and Ricky should be right behind as he's the one who's supposed to be helping with development of these guys.

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Honestly, at least on Twitter and social media, being a Moncada fan/supporter is more of the dark side at this point. Speaks a lot to how he's played this season. If I didn't know his numbers, I would guess based on fan reaction that he was at like .175/.200/.225 or something Engel-like. 

to be fair, post ASB, Yoan is 151/275/279

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Tony said:

I'm finally on the doubt train for Yoan. Hate being the meatball body language guy, but NONE of it looks good. 

I'm just not sold at all. 

Ozzie mentioned his body language as well. Says it doesn't look like he enjoys himself playing. I still think he will be alright, and think some of the body language is because he's not used to having a hard time playing baseball. But it is worth noting, this guy got paid before he became a major leaguer. The motivation may not be as great, and it would only be natural. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I do question how healthy Anderson is, so he'll get the benefit of the doubt with that.  At this point though, Steverson better be fired the day after the season ends, and Ricky should be right behind as he's the one who's supposed to be helping with development of these guys.

I'm done with the "calm presence" types.  It's not working.  Ventura let Eaton and Sale walk all over him and whatever "calming influence" Renteria is supposed to bring obviously isn't working for these kids either.  I don't think a manager contributes much to development but if Rickie can't get these young latin kids ready to play (or any of them really) he needs to go.  Way too many bad ABs this 2nd half, but with Moncada and Yolmer especially.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Ozzie mentioned his body language as well. Says it doesn't look like he enjoys himself playing. I still think he will be alright, and think some of the body language is because he's not used to having a hard time playing baseball. But it is worth noting, this guy got paid before he became a major leaguer. The motivation may not be as great, and it would only be natural. 

Isn’t that last sentence where the mentorship of Abreu is supposed to come into play?

9 minutes ago, Tony said:

How about the guy that is actually paid to get Yoan out of a slump does something? You know, the hitting coach? Hell, anyone on the staff. 

From all reports, Jose has played the mentor role well with Yoan. It's also not his job. 

One of the most important aspects a hitting coach brings is Gravitas, with a big G.  I have a hard time seeing these guys like Moncada or even Avi really listening to Todd because Todd is a nobody really.  I'd rather bring in someone like Thome that can look these kids in the face and say "600 HR", listen up.