Sox @ Tigers 8/15 12:10 PM CT NBCSCHI

Jose Abreu

16 minutes ago, Tony said:

How about the guy that is actually paid to get Yoan out of a slump does something? You know, the hitting coach? Hell, anyone on the staff. 

From all reports, Jose has played the mentor role well with Yoan. It's also not his job. 

And from all reports, Moncada is motivated, hard working, determined, etc. but apparently he’s lazy and doesn’t care because some people don’t like his facial expressions 

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

it's in his head and I don't blame him.  Never seen a season long screw job like this.  It's probably about the difference in 50 OPS points.

Sorry, that doesn't cause a hole in your bat.  Yes he's been screwed a lot on pitches, but how about not falling behind in the count so quickly every at bat by not having a solid plan at the plate.  The kid has had every excuse in the world made for him this year.  His hit tool is just flat out awful.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Rodon just threw a ball right down broadway for stike 3 against Candelario. Except Narvaez has no idea how to catch, so it was called a ball.  HPB next pitch.

Rodon.jpg

I know what you are saying, but that is on the ump.  It is literally his job.  That isn't a close pitch, it is a strike.  

• Love 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Sorry, that doesn't cause a hole in your bat.  Yes he's been screwed a lot on pitches, but how about not falling behind in the count so quickly every at bat by not having a solid plan at the plate.  The kid has had every excuse in the world made for him this year.  His hit tool is just flat out awful.

They’re not excuses when they’re quantifiable and objective.

sure, it doesn’t mean he’d be an all-star with normal umps, but they certainly have played a role 

Just now, Greg Hibbard said:

How do people feel about Rodon's FIP tho? Is he due for a stat regression at some point?

Yes he is but he allows weak contact and therefore the regression isn’t as major as you’d expect. FIP overweights strikeouts in my opinion

1 minute ago, Greg Hibbard said:

How do people feel about Rodon's FIP tho? Is he due for a stat regression at some point?

One thing to keep in mind is that he's had something like 6 or 7 runs added on to his total this year because of horribly blown strike 3 calls not being made.  The start in Texas is the perfect representation of that.  If I didn't know any of the stats, I would say he's looked like a 3 to 3.25 ERA pitcher this year.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

Yes he is but he allows weak contact and therefore the regression isn’t as major as you’d expect. FIP overweights strikeouts in my opinion

Yeah, that is the main component.  I don't think it is a very helpful stat, though I've had this conversation before so I won't go down the rabbit hole.  

2 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

I'm okay with losing for the draft but c'mon Yoan, sheesh.

When you field a ball in the infield you don't want to catch it in the webbing unless its a liner or a popout.  You want it in the pocket and get it into the hand as quickly as possible. He made a nice play on the first part of it however it was in the webbing and he couldn't fish it out.  That happens and it's unfortunate.