Sox @ Tigers 8/15 12:10 PM CT NBCSCHI

Jose Abreu

16 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

No doubt about it.... we have to work on the bullpen for 2019

They aren't trying to be competitive in 2019. Next year is to let the young players get experience to see if they can compete in 2020 or 2021.

If they were serious about competing in 2019 they would have the young players in the MLB learning now. 

Yeah, if the goal is to be better in 2019, bullpen is so irrelevant.  It's one of the easiest things to buy/replace.  Plus, not all of our young arms are going to be starters.  

A team that builds a good bullpen expects to compete now

Edited by AustinIllini

6 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Rodon just threw a ball right down broadway for stike 3 against Candelario. Except Narvaez has no idea how to catch, so it was called a ball.  HPB next pitch.

Rodon.jpg

I hope you were actually watching the game and not just watching game day. Any nitwit could just blame the catcher for that without actually using his eyes to see what happened.

As i have said many times when talking about pitch framing you cannot frame a pitch that you are lunging for and many strike calls are missed when a catcher has to move from where he set up  to where the pitch actually ends up. In this case Narvaez was set up inside and the pitch ended up on the outer half and a bit above the belt.  ( not right down the middle but also not on the outer edge . The ball was all clearly in the zone.  Narvaez had to do a quick lunge across the plate caught it of course in the zone but  lunging causes momentum and his glove after he caught it continued out of the zone. It is nuts to blame the catcher on that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I hope you were actually watching the game and not just watching game day. Any nitwit could just blame the catcher for that without actually using his eyes to see what happened.

As i have said many times when talking about pitch framing you cannot frame a pitch that you are lunging for and many strike calls are missed when a catcher has to move from where he set up  to where the pitch actually ends up. In this case Narvaez was set up inside and the pitch ended up on the outer half and a bit above the belt.  ( not right down the middle but also not on the outer edge . The ball was all clearly in the zone.  Narvaez had to do a quick lunge across the plate caught it of course in the zone but  lunging causes momentum and his glove after he caught it continued out of the zone. It is nuts to blame the catcher on that.

Framing shouldn't even be part of the conversation unless the pitch is around the margins of the strike zone.  If an ump misses a blatant call like that there is no way it should be a mark against the catcher. 

1 minute ago, turnin' two said:

Framing shouldn't even be part of the conversation unless the pitch is around the margins of the strike zone.  If an ump misses a blatant call like that there is no way it should be a mark against the catcher. 

Exactly. Some posters just jump on the Narvaez can't frame bandwagon and blame him for every non strike call on a strike. I've seen umps miss calls like that many many times when a pitcher misses his spot and the catcher has to lunge to catch it.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Exactly. Some posters just jump on the Narvaez can't frame bandwagon and blame him for every non strike call on a strike. I've seen umps miss calls like that many many times when a pitcher misses his spot and the catcher has to lunge to catch it.

Thank you times a million. You can't possibly frame a pitch that is on the other side of the plate from where you are set up on.

4 minutes ago, HoosierSox said:

Time for robot umps. Then we wouldn't have to worry about framing.

I really hope not. I’d rather see a batter swing with two strikes that might be just off the plate than a bunch of hitters guessing all game, and pitchers trying to nip the front corner of the zone with breaking pitches.

The first step for improved ball/strike calling is accountability of the umpires. They’re graded. Get the best umps and let them be home plate umpires more often.

3 hours ago, ptatc said:

They aren't trying to be competitive in 2019. Next year is to let the young players get experience to see if they can compete in 2020 or 2021.

If they were serious about competing in 2019 they would have the young players in the MLB learning now. 

They want to be competitive and I believe Hahn said that. I understand your point but at the very least we need to be working on it

1 hour ago, flavum said:

I really hope not. I’d rather see a batter swing with two strikes that might be just off the plate than a bunch of hitters guessing all game, and pitchers trying to nip the front corner of the zone with breaking pitches.

The first step for improved ball/strike calling is accountability of the umpires. They’re graded. Get the best umps and let them be home plate umpires more often.

Isn't that what they have to do now?  Except they even have to guess what the umpire will call a strike and what he won't.  At least with a roboump there would be a consistent strike zone, and strikes would be strikes and balls would be balls.  Quite the novel concept.

4 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Isn't that what they have to do now?  Except they even have to guess what the umpire will call a strike and what he won't.  At least with a roboump there would be a consistent strike zone, and strikes would be strikes and balls would be balls.  Quite the novel concept.

I just think the game is better when hitters have to be in hit mode. If they went Robo-ump, the mindset is to prove what a great eye you have- longer games, more walks...worse game. And then what I said about pitchers...they can try to hit the zone with a curve that will end up way out, but they don’t have to worry about framing. I just think they need better umps.

1 hour ago, elrockinMT said:

They want to be competitive and I believe Hahn said that. I understand your point but at the very least we need to be working on it

We'll know by who they bring up in September.

11 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yes I was watching the game. It was an awful display of catching.