Your first Album collection/First concert attended

Jack Parkman

My mom was pretty conservative when I was a kid, so I was stuck in the 70s until around age 11. When I was finally able to amass my own album collection, I picked the following from late 1998-early 2002

Offspring: Ixnay on the Hombre/Americana

Pearl Jam-Ten

Foo Fighters-The Colour and the Shape

Nirvana-Nevermind

Smashing Pumpkins-Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

System of a Down-Toxicity

My first concert experience was a couple years ago, and as I thought I absolutely hated it because it was too crowded and loud. I'm autistic, so the sensory overload was too much to take. Music was great when I could pay attention. It was also a complete disaster because I was in charge of driving to Northerly Island for the event, and my car broke down downtown in 100 degree weather. I was completely paranoid that my car would get towed. We ended up missing 2/3 of the acts there. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First concert was The Wallflowers.

For the life of me, I cannot remember my first album.  DMB's Under the Table & Dreaming, if not my 1st album, was one of my first, so I'll go with that.  I had a lot more mixtapes and/or burned CDs once those came about.  I preferred making my own so I could choose what I wanted.

I have older siblings, so it wasn't really necessary for me to buy music when I was younger. I just listened to their stuff (REO, Springsteen, Rush, the Grease soundtrack...). 70s stuff.

The first album I bought was Michael Jackson's "Thriller" on cassette when I was in 5th grade. I don't think I bought anything else until high school. I know I had the Bobby Brown cassette with "My Prerogative," INXS "Kick," Gun N' Roses "Appetite," REM "Document," U2 "The Joshua Tree." U2, GN'R, & REM were my favorites, so I bought more of their stuff. I remember playing The Who's Greatest Hits album a ton, too. 

I built up a decent sized collection by joining and quitting BMG and Columbia House several times. I always paid - never tried to rip them off.

First concert was either INXS (the tour after Kick) or Depeche Mode on the Violator tour. I was at the second & third Lollapaloozas, and I've seen Pearl Jam a few times. Never saw U2, GN'R, or REM in concert. Not sure why. I'm not really a big concert fan. I'll go, but it's not super important to me. 

1 hour ago, LittleHurt05 said:

First CDs were MC Hammer and The Simpsons Sing the Blues.

First concert was Do or Die, Crucial Conflict and Big Pun at International Amphitheatre on 43rd and Halsted, since has been torn down.

I saw Van Halen at the amphitheater. Awful acoustics.

My first concert was Weird Al. I've seen him live 3 times in total. My wife actually got to go to a meet and greet with him and got one of my CD covers signed by him.

As far as first album collection, that's more difficult to define. I did't have any older brothers and sisters and my parents didn't really have much of a collection of any kind of music except a bunch of old 8-tracks.

When I was really young, I had a bunch of records that I listened to that I got mostly from garage sales or Salvation Army stores. It was mostly kid's stuff like Mickey Mouse or Sesame Street or The Chipmunks. I also had a bunch of those read-along books that came with a record/cassette.

When cassettes started becoming more popular I did what every other kid that grew up in that era did and recorded songs off the radio. Then one day I won some contest and ended up getting Metallica's black album on cassette. After that I think I ended up getting all their albums on cassette. I later re-bought them all on CD and sold the cassettes to a friend of mine.

The first CD I ever owned was Megadeth's  Countdown to Extinction.

These days I mostly just listen to whatever is on the radio or sometimes while I'm working I'll listen to songs on Youtube.

Edited by Iwritecode

First concert would have been one of those Q101 Twisted Christmas shows as my friend's dad's work had a skybox at the UC back in the 90's. Probably was excited to go see Everclear or some other 90's garbage at the time, but I did get to see The Cure and I've liked them ever since.

I have tinnitus now from way too many shows at Metro, Fireside Bowl, etc. in the late 90's through the mid 00's.

First show was Spin doctors/Soul Asylum/Screaming Trees at (what was known then as) The World Ampitheater in tinley park 

first album collection where I truly collected everything was Nine Inch Nails.  This entire collection was stolen during one a party at college, which was a very sad day for me

On 8/16/2018 at 10:38 AM, Iwritecode said:

My first concert was Weird Al. I've seen him live 3 times in total. My wife actually got to go to a meet and greet with him and got one of my CD covers signed by him.

As far as first album collection, that's more difficult to define. I did't have any older brothers and sisters and my parents didn't really have much of a collection of any kind of music except a bunch of old 8-tracks.

When I was really young, I had a bunch of records that I listened to that I got mostly from garage sales or Salvation Army stores. It was mostly kid's stuff like Mickey Mouse or Sesame Street or The Chipmunks. I also had a bunch of those read-along books that came with a record/cassette.

When cassettes started becoming more popular I did what every other kid that grew up in that era did and recorded songs off the radio. Then one day I won some contest and ended up getting Metallica's black album on cassette. After that I think I ended up getting all their albums on cassette. I later re-bought them all on CD and sold the cassettes to a friend of mine.

The first CD I ever owned was Megadeth's  Countdown to Extinction.

These days I mostly just listen to whatever is on the radio or sometimes while I'm working I'll listen to songs on Youtube.

Weird Al has a huge following in the Autistic community. It is quite funny. I've been following him since I was a small kid in the early 90s. One of the first songs I heard of his was Bedrock Anthem and that was before I knew who RHCP is. Consequently, RHCP has become one of my favorite bands. 

On 8/18/2018 at 10:17 AM, soxfan49 said:

I've never been a huge concert guy. My first concert was Dave Matthews at United Center in 2012. I've only been to two since, and both were DMB.

I'm with you. Not really into going to concerts. I've been to 4...good enough for me. I get asked to go a lot to country concerts and I always consider going for the women. But the people who invite me want to do 3-day passes (Lake Shake I think?) and I just can't commit haha

Edited by soxfan2014

First album was Guns N Roses Appetite For Destruction

First concert was Foo Fighters at Metro in 1994. 

Best performances Rolling Stones, Roger Waters. David Gilmour and Kanye West. In the last few years Ive probably been to 50+ shows (more if you count each act at a festival.)

My first concert was Paul McCartney at Milwaukee County Stadium.  It was the tour for his album Off the Ground. I was probably only like 12, but I remember it being a really good show.

First albums I bought were all the Beatles albums.

Just now, GoSox05 said:

My first concert was Paul McCartney at Milwaukee County Stadium.  It was the tour for his album Off the Ground. I was probably only like 12, but I remember it being a really good show.

First albums I bought were all the Beatles albums.

I saw his tour in 2002.  Man was that an incredible show.  I think it was the Back in the US tour.

I made terrible musical choices as a kid.  Pretty sure my first cassette was MC Hammer's "2 Legit to Quit" (edit: LOL it was actually called "The Funky Headhunter" hahaha).  First CD was Ace Of Base "Happy Nation".  

The first concert I went to was Q101's Twisted Christmas 5 in 1998.   Beck, Cake, Goo Goo Dolls, Garbage, Third Eye Blind, Soul Coughing and Everlast played.

On 8/17/2018 at 8:53 PM, Jack Parkman said:

Weird Al has a huge following in the Autistic community. It is quite funny. I've been following him since I was a small kid in the early 90s. One of the first songs I heard of his was Bedrock Anthem and that was before I knew who RHCP is. Consequently, RHCP has become one of my favorite bands. 

I've also followed him since I was little but apparently I'm a little older than you since the first I remember hearing of him was when MTV played his "Fat" video all the time. I remember being outside playing with my friends and someone came out and said "They're going to show the Weird Al video in a few minutes!" and we all ran inside to watch it.

I bought all his albums that were out at the time and have since bought all his new ones when they've come out. I think I might even still have a VHS that has a bunch of his videos on it.  

I also remember when UHF first came out and watched it so much that I could almost quote the entire movie line by line.

Edited by Iwritecode

18 minutes ago, Iwritecode said:

I've also followed him since I was little but apparently I'm a little older than you since the first I remember hearing of him was when MTV played his "Fat" video all the time. I remember being outside playing with my friends and someone came out and said "They're going to show the Weird Al video in a few minutes!" and we all ran inside to watch it.

I bought all his albums that were out at the time and have since bought all his new ones when they've come out. I think I might even still have a VHS that has a bunch of his videos on it.  

I also remember when UHF first came out and watched it so much that I could almost quote the entire movie line by line.

You are in my age bracket.  Eat it and Fat were my first exposures to Weird Al music, and I have been hooked ever since.

33 minutes ago, Iwritecode said:

I'd Imagine you have 5-7 years on me. They had an MTV special on weird Al in 1994 ish, They showed all of his MTV specials. I was like 9 years old and remember this special was the original release of the "Amish Paradise" video. Bad Hair Day came out a few months later.