8/16 Games

soxfan49

6 hours ago, ptatc said:

Carlton Fisk couldn't play into today's game. Think about the reaction of someone yelling at another teams player about playing the game. Many people don't like when the manager benches his own player for the same thing. 

Come on. Carlton Fisk would be a top catcher in today's game with just as aggressive a personality except the definition of what aggressive can mean would have narrowed. He's probably be similar to Yadi, but coincidentally I find Yadi's "I know the game" b.s. to be ridiculous.

I gotta say.

• I think the retalitation stuff is dangerous and, imo, stupid. Imagine applying it to a game you are familiar with and play and how out of bounds stupid it would be. "Oh he did well against me I will now throw a hard ball at his back! Showed him"
  • Pitchers do not have that good of aim, so the whole "just aim for the butt" thing is not realistic, it can slip and have terrible consequences
  • Again it's pretty dumb
  • I also don't think it's that big of a deal and something that would make me not root for a player. Dunning did it, luckily at lower level, and still just gets "bulldog" thrown around instead of "idiot". 
  • The pirates did find that after pitchers throw inside, they are more likely to get a grounder. I'm unconvinced this is due to intimidation and not changing of eye levels or something like that.

• bmags unpinned this topic
13 hours ago, BamaDoc said:

Loved Fisk for that.  I am old school and don't mind pitching inside at all.  In fact, I believe you have to to be effective.  I understand moving a guy off the plate and yea even intentionally hitting a guy.  However, you should hit him where Kopech did (ass by accounts) but I don't believe in 99mph.  90 mph , (for Kopech might be a change up LOL) is plenty and you actually have to throw it hard enough to control it.  Forever it has been part of the game up until the last 25 years or so.  If you homered, you expected/prepared to get buzzed the next time.  Some guys would buzz you twice so you knew the first wasn't a mistake.  Look at this quote in a story from Callum Hughson of Dusty Baker being warned about Bob Gibson by Hank Aaron

“(Hank Aaron told me) ‘Don’t dig in against Bob Gibson, he’ll knock you down. He’d knock down his own grandmother if she dared to challenge him. Don’t stare at him, don’t smile at him, don’t talk to him. He doesn’t like it. If you happen to hit a home run, don’t run too slow, don’t run too fast. If you happen to want to celebrate, get in the tunnel first. And if he hits you, don’t charge the mound, because he’s a Gold Glove boxer.’ I’m like, ‘Damn, what about my 17-game hitting streak?’ That was the night it ended.”
—Dusty Baker

Fantastic. I love it Kopech. Keep emotions in check but some fire is good.