8/17 Games

flavum

2 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

For sure.  Hey do you know when minor league control starts ticking for a guy like Nunez. He’s spent 4 years in the rookie leagues so does he only have 3 years left?

Since all of his years in rookie leagues were in the U.S. (as opposed to Dominican leagues and whatnot) I believe he would actually need to be added to the 40 man this offseason to be protected from the Rule 5 draft. However there's no way any team would take a guy from rookie ball in that draft. Not sure when we'd need to worry about the minor league portion of the draft though, but I know it's not this year 

2 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Since all of his years in rookie leagues were in the U.S. (as opposed to Dominican leagues and whatnot) I believe he would actually need to be added to the 40 man this offseason to be protected from the Rule 5 draft. However there's no way any team would take a guy from rookie ball in that draft. Not sure when we'd need to worry about the minor league portion of the draft though, but I know it's not this year 

There was a poster here who had kind of a spread sheet from a website that sights team option years and so on.

Was very beneficial, I gotta see if I can find it.

20 minutes ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

All young pitchers are ticking time bombs for the most part. There is a reason why the smart teams rebuild around stud position players and buy/trade for pitching later.

You need to STFU & think before saying shit that isn’t true.  Implying the Sox’s rebuild has been pitching focused or we lack high-end positional talent is quite frankly a bold faced lie.

• Moncada (BA #2 - 2016)
  • Anderson (BA #45 - 2015)
  • Jimenez (BA #3 / MP #3 / FG #3)
  • Robert (BA #46 / MP #25 / FG #20)
  • Madrigal (BA #30 / MP #32 / FG #23)
  • Collins (FG #67)
  • Rutherford (MP #88)
  • Adolfo (FG #88 / KL top 50 HM)
  • Basabe (FG #84)

That’s nine guys who placed on a top 100 list.  That doesn’t include our top three picks from the 2017 draft or our 2nd round pick from this year’s draft.  All four of those guys have a chance to make one those lists in the future, with Gonzalez being a real possibility this offseason.  There is a ton of positional talent in the organization and it’s an essential part of the rebuild no matter how you try to spin things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

For sure.  Hey do you know when minor league control starts ticking for a guy like Nunez. He’s spent 4 years in the rookie leagues so does he only have 3 years left?

If you are signed before age 19, team controls the player for 5 years.  Or something like that.  Nunez should be safely put on Kanny's roster next year.

3 hours ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

All young pitchers are ticking time bombs for the most part. There is a reason why the smart teams rebuild around stud position players and buy/trade for pitching later.

I agree. This shows the Sox are an smart organization. 11 of their top 15 are position players, while only 6 of top 15 for Padres and Braves.

3 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I agree. This shows the Sox are an smart organization. 11 of their top 15 are position players, while only 6 of top 15 for Padres and Braves.

The Padres have been rebuilding for the last 8 plus years. i'm not sure that they are a great example. 

44 minutes ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

The Padres have been rebuilding for the last 8 plus years. i'm not sure that they are a great example. 

It’s about whether Padres are a good org or not, it’s the fact that Sox are heavy if positional prospects but you fail to see it. Aside from the Braves, Yankees and Astros also are top heavy with pitching prospects, these are 3 of the best run orgs in the league. So your self-hating comments don’t fly here.

6 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

It’s about whether Padres are a good org or not, it’s the fact that Sox are heavy if positional prospects but you fail to see it. Aside from the Braves, Yankees and Astros also are top heavy with pitching prospects, these are 3 of the best run orgs in the league. So your self-hating comments don’t fly here.

The Braves got Acuna and Albies. Those two dudes making the Show look like Williamsport. 

The Yankees got Torres and Andujar both making hay. 

The Astros are the defending World Series Champions. 

Come again on how the White Sox are anywhere near these 3 franchises? 

Edited by footlongcomiskeydog

1 hour ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

The Braves got Acuna and Albies. Those two dudes making the Show look like Williamsport. 

Acuna is a stud, I'm not gonna make any arguments there (Eloy may be better long-term though). But Albies and Torres have been awful lately, and Andujar has been the worst defensive player in baseball. It's not nearly as cut and dry as you're trying to make it. 

10 hours ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

Do you even know what you are talking about most of the time?

Sox has Eloy, Robert, Moncada, Anderson, Madrigal, Rutherford. The ceiling of this group is as high as most groups of young players in baseball. Your tiring argument is some of those prospects didn’t pan out, while likes of Albies and Torres are off to a good start. But in terms of sheer building around corner positional prospects, you can’t argue that the Sox haven’t been doing that, especially that the Sox gave up $60 mil and forfeited 2 yrs of intl signing for a 20 year old CF prospect.

3 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Oh and btw, the past 3 first round picks are position players, as are the past 2 second round picks.

We’ve had 10 picks in the first three rounds of the last three drafts and seven of them have been position players.  Almost all our big LatAm signings have been positional players.  If it weren’t for the Eaton trade, this false notion that our rebuild has been pitching based wouldn’t exist.