Filth

joejoedairy

Future Relievers  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Which future reliever are you the most excited about?

• Zach Burdi 23 (Rehab)
    • Ian Hamilton 23 (1.77 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, 57K, 16BB in 45.2IP at AA & AAA)
    • Jose Ruiz 23 (3.14 ERA, 1.01 WHIP, 72K, 18BB in 51.2IP at AA & A+)
    • Tyler Johnson 22 (1.46 ERA, 0.89 WHIP, 77K, 15BB in 49.1IP at A+ & A-)
    • Bennett Sousa 23 (0.38 ERA, 0.72 WHIP, 31K, 6BB in 23.2 IP at A- & Rk)

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Burdi has the best pure stuff, but Hamilton has been putting up results like nobodies business.  Personally I think the list is pretty well in my order of preference, except I would replace Sousa with Burr.

Also selected Burdi. I generally don't get excited about any relief prospects until they perform at AA and above. 

I rank Burdi highest. I love Hamilton's fastball plus control of it, but I'm not sold on his secondary stuff. I'm curious how his stuff will hold up in the bigs. From the two or three times I've watched him pitch he's very heavy fastball in his pitch selection.

17 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Never been too big on Burdi. To me it's easily Hamilton, and Johnson has the potential to get to that point by this time next year. Ruiz is nice too

Why have you never been big on Burdi?  Health concerns?  Kid has a legit 80 grade fastball and two plus secondary offerings.  I really, really like Hamilton, but Burdi is pretty much in a league of his own stuff wise.

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why have you never been big on Burdi?  Health concerns?  Kid has a legit 80 grade fastball and two plus secondary offerings.  I really, really like Hamilton, but Burdi is pretty much in a league of his own stuff wise.

Assuming his stuff doesn't drop off post surgery, he has all star closer stuff.

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Health concerns and walk rate/control. The latter is correctable, obviously, but I prefer guys who are more polished like Hamilton and Johnson. I do think Burdi has the higher ceiling, though 

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Health concerns and walk rate/control. The latter is correctable, obviously, but I prefer guys who are more polished like Hamilton and Johnson. I do think Burdi has the higher ceiling, though 

I think it’s a bit unfair to call Johnson “polished” relative to Burdi given the huge difference in competition they’ve each faced.  Burdi was given an incredibly aggressive assignment out of the gate, while Johnson has been handled with kids gloves.  And I say this as a HUGE Tyler Johnson fan.  I just think Tyler would be walking as many batters as Burdi if facing AAA hitters right now.

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

I'd like to see what Frare can do in September, if not before.  He's been a beast this season.  There certainly is plenty of room for him in the bullpen.

I want to see him too but he's a lefty (if I'm not mistaken) and our lefty relievers are actually pretty solid in Fry, Avilan, and Cedeno. There's also Bummer who will probably get the call too. IMO Avilan and Cedeno should be traded, with Frare and Bummer taking their spots.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

I want to see him too but he's a lefty (if I'm not mistaken) and our lefty relievers are actually pretty solid in Fry, Avilan, and Cedeno. There's also Bummer who will probably get the call too. IMO Avilan and Cedeno should be traded, with Frare and Bummer taking their spots.

yea I forgot about that.  Anyway, Avilan and Cedeno are LOOGYs, and probably have little, if any, trade value (and if they do, they absolutely should be moved). Bummer's probably  a LOOGY.  Fry is not and hopefully Frare isn't either.