Castillo rehabbing in Charlotte

southsider2k5

Sometimes I 

34 minutes ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

Yep. Another reason why the Sox should lock up Mr. Hahn with a 5 year extension now!!!! 

Sometimes I think some of you are on here just to complain. When this team is going deep in the playoffs in 3-5 years yall will still call for Hahn's head or KWs head or whatever. Not every GM is perfect. How the hell was he supposed to know dude was on drugs? Everyone praised this signing the moment it happened. No one knew what Narvaez or Smith would be like this year, and we needed a vet to work with the young pitchers.

• Like 2

Lol some people just love to complain. Nevermind that he isn't getting paid while suspended, that he played pretty well before that, that we don't know what kind of player Narvaez is long term (probably a 0-1 WAR backup, but maybe not!) and we DO know what kind of player Smith is (bad) - he thinks signing Castillo was a mistake.

Complain about something else. I'll be glad to have Castillo back. Catching talent is really poor throughout baseball right now, and he's competent. I'll take it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scoots said:

Sometimes I 

Sometimes I think some of you are on here just to complain. When this team is going deep in the playoffs in 3-5 years yall will still call for Hahn's head or KWs head or whatever. Not every GM is perfect. How the hell was he supposed to know dude was on drugs? Everyone praised this signing the moment it happened. No one knew what Narvaez or Smith would be like this year, and we needed a vet to work with the young pitchers.

Not to mention despite Narvaez starting to hit, he still is hurting his pitching staff behind the dish.  Having a veteran catcher around is important more for the young pitching staff than anything else.

Let's remember Castillo was signed on a two year deal to be a bridge catcher and a veteran steadying influence for young pitchers which granted he can't do while suspended.  the veteran role will still exist next year as even more young pitchers come up.

He was suspended for erythropoietin which boosts your red blood cell count,  which is to me about as minor a thing as you could do as a catcher/baseball player.  Not saying it wasn't dumb, just likely to not help.  

He wasn't paid while suspended.

He and Omar make a pretty competent batting catching tandem and he will be the primary as Omar needs to work on his defense.

His trade value is fine as he probably wouldn't be moved until next years deadline.  Even if you try and move this winter, he has one year remaining so I don't think it impacts him at all.  He will have Sept to prove health and value.

Edited by BamaDoc

6 hours ago, BamaDoc said:

Let's remember Castillo was signed on a two year deal to be a bridge catcher and a veteran steadying influence for young pitchers which granted he can't do while suspended.  the veteran role will still exist next year as even more young pitchers come up.

He was suspended for erythropoietin which boosts your red blood cell count,  which is to me about as minor a thing as you could do as a catcher/baseball player.  Not saying it wasn't dumb, just likely to not help.  

He wasn't paid while suspended.

He and Omar make a pretty competent batting catching tandem and he will be the primary as Omar needs to work on his defense.

His trade value is fine as he probably wouldn't be moved until next years deadline.  Even if you try and move this winter, he has one year remaining so I don't think it impacts him at all.  He will have Sept to prove health and value.

Right.  Let him play.  It's not like he is a mass murderer.  And, he is under contract.

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Castillo placed on DL this morning with "shoulder inflammation".

His suspension must have been up. Sox twitter says he will continue to rehab in Charlotte.  

I believe he's eligible to return tomorrow. So this makes sense. We'll see him in a week

On 8/18/2018 at 1:34 PM, BamaDoc said:

That's the thing - Omar needs to be the primary so that he can work on his defense.
Castillo needs to be moved

Edited by GreenSox

7 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

So this is how they don't send down one of Smith or Narvaez.

That’s what I am thinking. This guy messed up and the others took it and ran with it. No reason they should have to go back now. Bring him back when rosters expand and figure out the position during the off-season. I would guess Castillo plays for the White Sox next year. He also is one of Machado’s buddies. So maybe he will work on him. 

I used to be anti juice . But who knows who does what. He paid his debt, move on.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That’s what I am thinking. This guy messed up and the others took it and ran with it. No reason they should have to go back now. Bring him back when rosters expand and figure out the position during the off-season. I would guess Castillo plays for the White Sox next year. He also is one of Machado’s buddies. So maybe he will work on him. 

I used to be anti juice . But who knows who does what. He paid his debt, move on.

I used to be anti juice until I realized that a large portion of my favorite players in my lifetime were taking PEDs

• Like 1

If someone used to use PEDS and quit does the supposed physical benefits continue after ending PED use? Just asking for a friend. I am sure Castillo is not in the Sox long term plans but Barvaez is a terrible backstop. Catching will be an interesting  position to fill 

10 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

If someone used to use PEDS and quit does the supposed physical benefits continue after ending PED use? Just asking for a friend. I am sure Castillo is not in the Sox long term plans but Barvaez is a terrible backstop. Catching will be an interesting  position to fill 

They should start giving Narvaez some reps at 1B with Jose out once the rosters expand in a week.  Wouldn't hurt to have that flexibility next season.