Heyman: Eloy/Kopech may not be promoted this year

southsider2k5

14 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Kopech will be 24 by the time hes called up. Pretty absurd in this day and age for the top pitching prospect in baseball.

Huh? He’ll be 22 going on 23 when he’s promoted in mid-April. Not absurd at all. In fact, it’s nearly the same exact age in which Carlos Rodon made his debut.

• Like 2

Kopech up. I don't really understand it. Eloy I even would have understood (although I prefer him staying down for service time reasons) as eloy is clearly getting bored in AAA and not learning anything but kopech while his stuff is mlb ready still needs to improve his control, as evidenced by his 4+ bb9. Putting the ball in box is a thing he can learn in AAA, he doesn't need to face mlb hitters to do that.

Btw I don't think eloy is hurt by staying down more. Currently he is not developing at the level (maybe defensively) but with his k-bb rate I'm not worried about the jump, I could see him starting out like Soto or Hoskins. That is different from moncada who also dominated AAA ball but did it with high strikeouts and a super high babip.

2 hours ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

Kopech up. I don't really understand it. Eloy I even would have understood (although I prefer him staying down for service time reasons) as eloy is clearly getting bored in AAA and not learning anything but kopech while his stuff is mlb ready still needs to improve his control, as evidenced by his 4+ bb9. Putting the ball in box is a thing he can learn in AAA, he doesn't need to face mlb hitters to do that.

Btw I don't think eloy is hurt by staying down more. Currently he is not developing at the level (maybe defensively) but with his k-bb rate I'm not worried about the jump, I could see him starting out like Soto or Hoskins. That is different from moncada who also dominated AAA ball but did it with high strikeouts and a super high babip.

If nothing else, Kopech needs the extra innings to build up his endurance to pitch a full season next year. So they may as well do it now in the middle of a hot streak instead of September.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Heyman now reporting this...

If his agents are serious, they should really ask RH in private if he's being held down at AAA because he's black. That could get things moving fast.

Of course it could blow up in their face too. Nobody gets to pick the cards they are dealt. But playing the cards you get is OK by me.