8/19 games

BamaDoc

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

What are the chances that he could be promoted to Birmingham? I'd rather see him there, than Call. How soon could he be in Chicago, if he succeeds at AA?

Is the end of next year, feasible? He'll be 23 next month. I think that there is a good chance that he gets there before Robert, Basabe or Rutherford, because those guys are all a little younger, than he is. He seems to be the most polished hitter, who can play CF, out to the entire group of prospects. I was hopeful that Booker might stay on track, but he has not done that well, since being promoted to AA.

I think next year Call, Booker and Remillard get pushed to Charlotte to make room for Gonzalez,  Robert and possibly Rutherford to join Basabe at Birmingham. That's going to be one hell of a defensive OF!

35 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

No, I think that if you want an all around OF that can play good defense and hit, then Gonzalez is the best in the Sox system. Eloy is so good of a hitter that it covers up a lot of his defensive deficiencies.  Sox are lucky they play in the AL. Maybe I put too much value on being able to play a position, idk. Under zero circumstances do I think Gonzalez is a better prospect than Jimenez. Eloy is pretty bad out there, and that is why the Cubs traded him. 

Unless we are talking about Daniel Palka in RF, there isn't enough difference between the two to make up for Eloys bat.

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

I'm looking for a center fielder. Eloy will obviously be the first outfield prospect, but he is a corner outfielder. 

According to FanGraphs, Robert is best defensive OFer (over Basabe and Gonzalez). If it turned out Robert, Basabe and Gonzalez all progress and stick, Eloy would DH. That would be a fun team to watch.

6 minutes ago, Flash said:

According to FanGraphs, Robert is best defensive OFer (over Basabe and Gonzalez). If it turned out Robert, Basabe and Gonzalez all progress and stick, Eloy would DH. That would be a fun team to watch.

Robert might be the one guy in the system who has a ceiling close to as high as Eloy.  Need to see him play 140 games to really get an idea of how well he will translate to American baseball though.

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Borchard & Lee (to a lesser extent) were pretty well regarded, but the answer is probably yes.

Ivan Calderon simply for the chest hair 

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Borchard & Lee (to a lesser extent) were pretty well regarded, but the answer is probably yes.

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

No, I think that if you want an all around OF that can play good defense and hit, then Gonzalez is the best in the Sox system. Eloy is so good of a hitter that it covers up a lot of his defensive deficiencies.  Sox are lucky they play in the AL. Maybe I put too much value on being able to play a position, idk. Under zero circumstances do I think Gonzalez is a better prospect than Jimenez. Eloy is pretty bad out there, and that is why the Cubs traded him. 

Huh?

I've been a huge advocate of Luis Gonzalez since draft day even calling the sox picking him. If everything clicks we're looking at Mark Kotsay /  Ender Inciarte / Adam Eaton, but he isn't the best OF in the system let alone defensive CF, hes third behind Basabe & Robert

Seems to be a lot of nonsense in this thread.  Gonzalez has been great.  He has completely produced and done everything he could have possibly done this year.  He is also a year older than most his OF prospect teammates.  There are are arguments, and good ones, that can be made for Eloy (duh), Robert (also duh), Rutherford, Basabe (younger at a higher level), among others.  To say flat out that Gonzalez is inarguably the best OF prospect is just complete nonsense.   

40 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Gonzalez

I knew who you were talking about, I just couldn't understand how you could make that statement.  Please show you work on how the 22 year old in A ball with a .919 OPS --- in A ball --- is a better prospect than the 21 year old in AAA with an OPS of .994 --- since we are only counting current level apparently and not the entire year.   Please make the case that shows how it is inarguable.   

Imagine what Eloy's OPS would be if he were in A ball -- next season.

I'm not trying to beat up on Gonzalez, again he has been great.  But Eloy has been a complete monster.  

Edited by turnin' two

53 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Didn't Lee stay at 3B until the majors?

In fact he did.  The Sox had 3 top OF prospects at that time Mike Cameron, Jeff Abbott, and Magglio Ordonez, then further down they had 2 3b prospects Lee and Joe Crede.  Pretty nice group.  Mags emerged in AAA as a monster.  But he didn't have that much of a track record, so he was not in Eloy's class as a prospect.

3 hours ago, BlackSox13 said:

I think next year Call, Booker and Remillard get pushed to Charlotte to make room for Gonzalez,  Robert and possibly Rutherford to join Basabe at Birmingham. That's going to be one hell of a defensive OF!

I could see Call moving up and Remillard repeating Winston-Salem. They could even have Adolfo repeat Winston-Salem to have him play bit more (plus he would be coming back from injury). Booker can be the fourth guy behind Robert, Rutherford and Basabe.

38 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Ha ha.  Sorry, Jackson was originally property of the Philadelphia A's.  Even back then the Sox couldn't scout amateurs.

The Philadelphia A's and Kansas city A's were basically the minors for other major league teams to pillage. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it) 😁

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

I don't think Ricky would have liked his hustle if Field of Dreams is historically accurate 

Well that's only because his feet hurt when they made him wear shoes. So he has the injury/pain excuse that so many players use.