Kopech called up

Buehrle>Wood

46 minutes ago, flavum said:

I will say, the service time thing isn’t as bad with Kopech. I get it.

Calling up Eloy will legit piss me off unless they have an 8 yr deal signed.

I think it is different with pitchers. Health and fickle nature of them makes waiting more of a gamble as I posted in another thread. I said earlier in the year that kopech had a better chance of being called up before Jimenez.

Pour one out for the 2025 White Sox 😪😪😫

Seriously though, this was the right move. The Sox have a history of striking pre-arb deals with studs like Sale and Q to buy out year one of FA, and a good will call-up like this will only make the relationship better and that outcome more likely.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Buehrlesque said:

Pour one out for the 2025 White Sox 😪😪😫

Seriously though, this was the right move. The Sox have a history of striking pre-arb deals with studs like Sale and Q to buy out year one of FA, and a good will call-up like this will only make the relationship better and that outcome more likely.

If they bought out his arbitration in exchange for bringing him up this year, then it makes sense. 

12 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

If they bought out his arbitration in exchange for bringing him up this year, then it makes sense. 

Well you can sit on your couch all depressed that Kopech is making his debut while the rest of us are on the edge of our seats watching our young phenom make his dreams come true.

Edited by Scoots
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Jesus fucking Christ Kopech has over 140 innings of experience in Triple A and was the hottest pitcher in MILB over the past 2 months and people still want to keep him down.. SMDH...

There is a lot that goes into play about these decisions than just that extra year of control, which may not matter as much at the end as the people here are fussing about. If you look at Kopech's overall body of work, he's proven he's ready the past month or so, and he most likely have "checked the checkboxes" with the organization. How do you tell the kid at the point that he's still not getting the call if he has done what the org has asked him to? On the flip side if you want to build some good will with Kopech (and Eloy) to leverage during contract extension discussion, these are the moves you make. If you handle their development solely based on financial reasons, that makes it much, much harder for the Sox as the negotiation table. Also, remember the backlash Cubs have gotten from the MLBPA after keeping Bryant down in 2015?

More importantly, if we want to help Kopech become better as quickly as possible, this is the move you got to make. He will learn from this next month and a half and hopefully makes adjustments in the off season and be more ready next year. The quicker Kopech becomes good, the less time we waste on Rodon, Moncada, Lopez, Gio, and TA's contract. I also think an important point being ignored here is if Kopech and Eloy come up and show they're the real deal, it will be a lot easier to sell to the upcoming FA class that we could be a winning team in 2019 or 2020.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jake said:

Worth noting that the CBA will be renegotiated before these guys potentially reach free agency and all the monkeying around with service time happening now may not even matter.

That's a good point. 

I don't think anybody would argue that he's not ready. That's not the point. The point is that it doesn't make sense to lose a year of value for no tangible reason. 

3 minutes ago, Goober said:

People are sad one of our top prospects is called up. Lololol sox fans are so shitty

Nah, people are mad they traded ~12 starts for a year of control.  Shoulda been called up a month earlier or not at all in 2018. 

Can't wait to watch but this is the first move I've hated of the rebuild.

8 minutes ago, Jake said:

Worth noting that the CBA will be renegotiated before these guys potentially reach free agency and all the monkeying around with service time happening now may not even matter.

Or free agency gets reduced to five years, and it makes it even worse.

1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

Sox are gonna bring Eloy up against the Cubs... watch.

Do it and watch them somehow fall out of the playoffs because Jimenez goes nuts.

Let Eloy stay down to finish his development and still fall in the super two rule.

2 hours ago, BlackSox13 said:

After looking at his IP the last two seasons this makes more sense. Kopech pitched 134.1 last year and currently sits at 126.1 this year. He needs the September starts in Chicago to continue building up his innings this year.

This.

bringing kopech up makes sense because of his development. We want this kid to become a 200ip pitcher

• Thanks 3

White Sox are always gonna white sox it up.

This is dumb. Either right after the trade deadline, or next April was the right move. Its stuff like this that makes fans think KW & Hahn are stoooopud.

Here's hoping that  somehow, THIS prospect breaks the losing streak of Fulmer, Giolito, and Lopez, despite having pretty much all of the same coaches as they did.